Samsung Gear S2 Classic 3G/4G coming in March!

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
YAY! Finally a classic version with a speakerphone! (and 3G/4G capability on basically ANY carrier ... if you're into that)

No mention on how it'll affect the size but I'm glad they're finally making this version!

Every time a new Samsung watch is released I get excited but yet I'm still bothered and torn because while I feel the new UI and rotating bezel or AWESOME, I know there are lots of little things that aren't yet fine tuned in these watches. Like GPS on the 3G Sport version isn't that great in my experience (or at the very least it's inconsistent) and sucks battery like crazy. It's almost like a spec that's just "there" because it'll help sell, not because it's implemented well. And oh how I just wish these watches had Google Now instead of SVoice. (sigh) Such a killer watch but you don't know what you're missing until you see it firsthand. I think the average user with a watch like this ends up giving up on SVoice and says "meh, I don't need voice integration that much". That may be true, but like I said, you don't know what you're missing until you see how it "CAN" be done on other watches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqwiwZMwtE

Just my opinion of course.

Anyway, I'm really glad the classic is getting a speakerphone. It's stupid that it didn't come standard on the regular classic since it's on most of their old versions but better late than never. Hopefully they can keep it slim still.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This is very exciting news. I wonder what color it will be - would prefer silver over shiny black myself.

badasafish

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm very interested in the Gear S2 Classic but I was disappointed when reading the specs and seeing it didn't come with a speaker and thus the ability to make calls using just the a watch. I see that the 3G/4G version will come equipped with a speaker so that you can use it to make calls directly.

I would like the functionality to make calls directly from the watch but I will still have my phone with me therefore I won't need the watch to have it's own data connection. My question is do you think I would be able to get the 3G/4G version but without any sort of subscription and use it to make calls via my phone's data connection?

Also I'm in the UK, any ideas on when the 3G/4G version will be come to these shores?

Thanks, Stephen

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can turn off mobile data and leave the "gear network" set to "off" for bluetooth-only functionality. So you can get it from the cheapest place that will sell it to you without requiring you to buy a line of service.

That said, I can't speak highly enough of the ability to get notifications and messages even if I don't have my phone with me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87