s3 software update for the S2

uvnyc

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Kind of wish I did not upgrade when prompted. My BT S2 loses connection with my phone often now and the battery level is dropping almost as fast as my phone (meaning few hours before I need to fully charge) :-(

crawfpm

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
For those with the update, how does it seem to be working for you? I am undecided if I ought to upgrade my wife's S2 or not.

crawfpm

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I checked my wife's watch and it does not show an update needed. Wifi only Classic S2 (in Alabama too). Current software version R732XXU2CPC5.

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I've got the VW 3G S2 and don't feel like I have all the latest features yet. I have Samsung Pay Beta and can download some of the watch faces that say they are for S3, but I don't have sleep tracking or some of the other newer features. I'm on version R73VVRU2BPC7. Also sometimes when in Gear Manager it says I have app updates available (most recently 7!) but when I go to update it says everything is up to date, I'm assuming this is because VW is behind in updating the OS and the apps can't update until the S2 version is updated.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got the VW 3G S2 and don't feel like I have all the latest features yet. I have Samsung Pay Beta and can download some of the watch faces that say they are for S3, but I don't have sleep tracking or some of the other newer features. I'm on version R73VVRU2BPC7. Also sometimes when in Gear Manager it says I have app updates available (most recently 7!) but when I go to update it says everything is up to date, I'm assuming this is because VW is behind in updating the OS and the apps can't update until the S2 version is updated.
Yes, I don't think Verizon users are going to get this update for some time. I usually expect a month or two, but I think there have been a couple of surprises where they came out within a few weeks of the BT model update.

The Gear S2 3g is back in the Verizon online store, which is a positive sign to me regarding their ongoing support of the platform. This is also the first of Samsung's smartwatches that they (Samsung) haven't abandoned after releasing the subsequent model, so these are all good signs for S2 owners.

Last edited:

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving the update. I can now set update intervals for the weather app, it was defaulted to 6 hours which was no good so I changed it to 30min (or 1hr I forget). The new fitness features are great also, being able to select different exercises now. Also, I was playing basketball and it detected that I was doing an activity and saved the entire time as a workout.
The new watch faces are nice as well, as well as being able to add a background display.
Notifications are nicer
That's what I've noticed so far in the past couple days.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I am in California, and I just received the update -pushed to the watch when I was not looking!
My watch is the 4G model, Samsung Gear S2 Classic (AT&T/4G) SM-R735a.

The post-update Tizen Version: 2.3.2.0.
New software version: R755AUCU2CPL1

While all operations are normal -no change in current battery life or status after the update, I have seen that
-- S-Health has some changes in some of the app's health displays.
-- There is a new option to connect to another phone in Settings below the About menu
-- The messaging app is changed.

There are other changes that are a bit less visible and I have not explored them yet.

So far, all working well.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
2 phones at once? That would be amazing. I have a small backup phone I'd love to carry once in awhile instead of the note 5, and being able to use the watch with it would be great.

Edit: turns out the following is wrong...[The gear s2 is 3g, not 4g. That's one of the big draws for the frontier for me vs the S2.]

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
S2 comes in 3G or 4G depending on the carrier. i.e. AT&T 4G, Verizon 3G

My T-Mobile one shows 4G when connected to the network. The S3 is 4g-LTE, which the S2 is not. I think it comes down to how Verizon defines 4g compared to how ATT and TMob define 4g (still hspa+ and "technically" 3g). There was a big to-do about it a few years back, and the FCC changed their definition of 4G a couple times.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My T-Mobile one shows 4G when connected to the network. The S3 is 4g-LTE, which the S2 is not. I think it comes down to how Verizon defines 4g compared to how ATT and TMob define 4g (still hspa+ and "technically" 3g). There was a big to-do about it a few years back, and the FCC changed their definition of 4G a couple times.
Thanks for explaining, TIL. I didn't know they defined them differently.