GPS tracking for running is way off

barreuh

Aug 21, 2017
Visit site
Finally decided to buy my first smartwatch. I chose the Gear s3 because of the looks, the rotating bezel and the spotify offline function. I wanted a watch to go running without my smartphone.

It got most of it right, I can use my bluetooth headset and spotify offline "run" playlist to go for a run, automatically syncs with Runkeeper (no heartrate for some reason) and listen to music trough my bluetooth headset. Great!

But the GPS tracking is terrible compared to my smartphone. Takes way too long to get a GPS lock and even then the tracking is way offcourse. Even after googling all the trick and tips to improve GPS it still doesn't get it right. I used the S-health app but it doesn't seem software related, the raw data is off.

I'm going to return it but with much remorse, I really liked this watch but it's not worth it if I can't track my run accurately. If my smartphone can do it correct why not a watch that's advertised for excericse/ GPS tracking?

Anyone else experienced issues with this?

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
i returned mine for this and other issues... it just didnt fit wit me in the end unfortunately. However i have to admit that the samsung reps advice of resetting and reinstalling the watch software DID do the trick. (as reluctant as I was to follow this course of action) Hope that helps you and your ultimate decision.

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I had that and multiple other problems. after two factory resets and multiple restarts, I sent it in to Samsung for warranty repair. Tech support seemed to understand something was wrong with the hardware and requested I send it in without argument.

I have not received it back yet so I can't say if they fixed it.

miglozoya

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
Long story but I think it's worth to tell:I got my S3 two months ago; since then, I have sent it to be repaired by Samsung three times. I've always scheduled collect & repair from the Dutch Company mentioned before. Issue as follows: static, the GPS gets the signal pretty fast and accurately. When running, pace is NEVER-EVER accurate, distance is always wrong and if you pause (like in traffic lights, etc.) GPS can take 1-2 km to pick up signal again, so all your workout spoiled. I have tried everything said here (GPS only, etc.) to no avail. I contacted Samsung via twitter and they advised "to send the device at least 3-4 times so I can get a replacement or refund". Incredible when you buy one of the flagships of the brand!! By the way, using Endomondo, MapMyRun or Health does NOT change, so it means that the device itself is not working properly.
Some days after the third time I sent it for service, I got the message from "Exchange Service NL" saying that they declare my watch as "non reparable" and they will exchange it in the next days for a new one.
Then I start using my NEW watch....guess what? Same error. Then I sent my NEW watch again to the repair service and got it back three days ago: Boardswap (sounds familiar?); tested yesterday and pace is wrong (again) 50% of the time. Run 8.5 Km and recorded 6.5 or so. Running at 4:45'/K it shows 6,7...even 8 '/K. Nothing to do, useless as sport watch. I sent it another two times to be repaired and STILL WRONG READINGS for the pace when running. SAMSUNG has agreed on a reimbursement that I am expecting in a few days.
Cheers,

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
A friend of mine has had many issues with her Gear watch. Anything to do with tracking her workouts was abysmal. It was always off. She has since boxed it and refuses to use it.

She also tried Fitbit and again it was not accurate on her workouts. She has an  watch 2 ceramic currently and for the most part is pretty pleased with it.

I workout on a daily basis myself and am on a nutritional plan. I need a very accurate reading of my workouts. I have tried several activity trackers and only one I ever used was accurate. I am currently using a Garmin Fenix 5s. It is incredibly accurate. Plus the software that comes with the tracker is the best you will find on any activity tracker out there. Only drawback is the price. It is one of the most expensive trackers on the market. $1000.

My belief is you get what you pay for. Yes I paid a lot for my Garmin but it was worth every penny. This is why I am recommending having a look at the Garmin lineup of fitness trackers. They have a solid lineup of trackers to suit your needs. Worth the research.

Hope this helps those of you looking for something more worthy.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
No disrespect to anyone but these issues have been well documented for almost a year now. The S3 is a capable device with many features but GPS and fitness accuracy are not its strengths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38