Battery Life Suddenly Gone

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll be keeping an eagle eye on this during the day to see if this isn't somehow related to sleep tracking (using the Gear app on my phone to avoid excessive screen on time). At the moment, all I've read about is overnight losses. I don't recall if anyone has reported the same drastic decline in daytime use.
The battery drain on mine is happening during the day. I never wear my watch to bed. Yesterday I put the watch on my wrist at 4pm with 100% charge. By 10pm it was down to 26%.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I took mine off the charger at 0700 this morning. It is now 1730 EST. I am currently sitting at 81%. Today the biggest thing hitting my battery was notifications. I do get quite a few throughout the day but I can handle that hourly drop. I don't wear it to bed so I couldn't tell how it would last overnight.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I took some screen shots of battery usage in the Gear app on my phone this morning. I fully charged the S3 and turned it off and back on after it charged to 100% yesterday. It looks like Samsung Health and Notifications are the culprit since being fully charged yesterday morning.

I just took my Gear S3 off of the charger after letting it charge to 100%. I will be keeping a close eye on the battery usage today. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181017/6d747f1c8e7c5a1def23cab5411abf18.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181017/7964c97cccb6abd604926b12a297e3e9.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181017/d7085dad2f3545304b11e681a380984b.jpg

Same issue and same culprit. S-Health for the watch was updated early this week, Monday in South Africa. My issues started Tuesday night. Hope samsung rolls out a fix pretty soon.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Update for this morning:

Brought my charger to work today to recharge the watch and do some testing.

1. I turned off automatic updates in the Gear app on my phone.
  2. I reset the phone and did not restore any backups (I don't use anything that wasn't on the phone or store music or any other personal content on it.

My watch is the non-LTE variant and I set the following options:

• Notifications (in Gear app): all off except Calendar, Clock, Facebook, GMail, FB Messenger, Google SMS app, Phone, and Phone Services
  • Samsung Health HR to every 10 minutes, no activity detection, Inactivite alerts off.
  • Brightness to 5, Auto Low on, timeout to 15 sec, AOD off, Wake-up gesture on

So far, after 2 1/2 hours, it appears to be discharging normally at about 1.6% per hour. This is somewhat higher than my usual average consumption of about 1.2% per hour over the last year but given how it's been the last couple of day (almost 9% per hour!) I'll take it.

Thanks, I will give this a shot, The HR monitor was set to frequent.

srayjacobs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I can leave for work and come home 12 hrs Later with around 70% battery. I charge it to 100% and wear it to bed. Last 2 mornings it was at 30% when I woke up 7 hrs later.
Gonna try a reset to factory and not do the updates.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. My Gear S3 started having severe battery drain 2 days ago also. It continues to have problems with sporadic fast battery drain. I did a full reset of the S3 and re-paired with phone. Seemed ok, until today. Very fast battery drain again.

I'm not sure if the watch received an update or something. But something isn't right... all of a sudden.

I have

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank goodness for this and other forums. This problem is a Samsumg issue. Somehow a common core app or the watch firmware was updated and is now causing fast battery drain.

My concern is that this issue will damage the battery (deep discharges) before a fix is issued.

srayjacobs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Many Gear S3 owners on Samsung’s forums note the bug, with their batteries draining far quicker than usual with no obvious cause. Samsung’s forum moderators also can’t seem to pin exactly what the cause is, but some speculate that it could be due to an app. Currently, though, Samsung is aware of the issue, but has no timeline on a fix. The company says that a “future update” will solve the problem.
That was on google news

Mattman86

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
I started having the issue yesterday. Down to 10% in a little under 6 hours.

I read in the XDA forum about factory resets and decided to take a step further by doing this:
  1. Hold in the power button in until 'Rebooting...' message.
  2. Repeatedly press power button until boot menu shows.
  3. Press the Home button until 'Recovery' is selected.
  4. Press and hold the Power button until restart.
  5. Set up watch as new watch not restoring backup.

After doing this, I'm down to 83% in 8 hours. This is with me playing around with it for about 20 minutes installing apps and changing settings.

Just over 2% per hour.

stormywaters

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
On Monday morning I noticed the same problem. During the day the battery is discharging normally. Over night is when I am noticing a 70% drop. I'm turning it off tonight so as to not further run down the battery until a fix is identified. I typically have DND on at night. Gear S3 classic.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I find that it is something that is happening overnight. I put mine on DND before bed and place it on the charger as I always have. When I get up in the morning I shut it down (not reboot) and then turn it back on. This stops the new battery drain bug for me.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My drain also seems to always happen at night. I wear my watch for sleep tracking and it is going Fromm 100 percent down to the low twenties.

Last night it did not happen for the first time in days. We'll see what happens today and tonight.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine started the other day too. Went from 100% to 15% in about 90 minutes. The next morning I charged it up to 55% and it turned itself off within 10 minutes.

Have Samsung said anything about fixing this and is it definitely now pinpointed to Samsung Health?

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I had same issue crop up suddenly. During the day it would just gobble the battery. A couple of nights ago, while I was sleeping and wearing the watch in DND, the battery went from 100% to 23%.

Following the leads out on the internet, I confirmed that in Settings -> Apps -> "Samsung Accessory Service" was using A LOT of battery.
1. I went into the storage tab for "Samsung Accessory Service" and cleared the cache.
2. I deleted the "Galaxy Wearable" app.
3. I restarted my Gear S3.
4. I reinstalled the "Galaxy Wearable" app. It walked through reconnecting and resetting the Gear S3.

After that my Gear S3 battery use has been very low. It has been a day or two now and it seems that the problem is solved for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruno1099