Carrier IQ - I'm developing an app to kill it...

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had no idea we had the CIQ issue, but maybe with the recent GB update it gets removed? I thought Sprint backed out of using it. If it's still there for GB, I can sniff the traffic and try to provide some details later today. Just need to get home and install wireshark

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I ran my app - CIQ is still present on GB. Of course, since I am no longer rooted, I can not use my app to kill the CIQ process like I could pre GB. And there is nothing I can do to fix the app - you need root access to permanently kill the CIQ process.

On another note, I am much closer to having an auto-kill at boot time app, however that is now moot for those of us with GB on the replenish until we can root again.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey All - thanks for GPOT and firehaks hard work, we now have the ability to root our phones. Firehak posted info on how to do so here:

Now that our phones are rooted under gingerbread, we can once again kill part of the Carrier IQ spyware (sprint did not remove IQMSD for some reason with their gingerbread update. Nor did they remove the android.iqd process either). My software is now available in the market with 2 different versions. One is free (look for "Carrier IQ Process Killer") and that one can be used to manually kill IQMSD each time you boot your phone. The other is paid (99 cents, look for "Auto Carrier IQ Process Killer") and does all the free one does except it does it automatically at phone boot time so you don't have to do it yourself each time. If you are unsure if your phone is running carrier IQ pr if you are rooted properly, install the free version from the market. Then, if it is able to detect and kill IQMSD, you know the paid app will work as well as the underlying algorithm to detect and kill IQMSD is the same in both apps.

Any questions, or if you need support, just write me here. I check this pretty often.

Reactions: firehak

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty