Potential Custom Kernel for Boost Replenish...

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone interested in testing a kernel for the boost replenish? In creating it, I assumed the boost and sprint replenishes are basically the same, with the exception that many of us on the sprint version are on phoenix ROM and so we have ext4 formats and not the samsung RFS formats. So, I created a different version of my kernel with RFS support contained in the RAMdisk. I have tested this on a non phoenix replenish (sprint version) and it works fine, so I am hoping it will work on the boost phone as well.

What I need is someone who has a rooted phone with clockworkmod that is willing to test. All you need to do is take a CWM backup of your phone, and then run an update,zip from your SD card. If the phone boots, great! If not, then just restore from your CWM backup and no harm done. If it does boot, then I'd like my volunteer to use if for about a week to make sure everything works (e.g 3G, bluetooth, WIFI, etc) before I release to the masses.

Any takers?

If this does work, then this custom kernel will basically provide for the ability to use different CPU governers (battery saver) as well as overclock (faster speed). This kernel is based off of the FA19 gingerbread release from samsung.

Thanks!

Reactions: 34 and ciscogee

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone interested in testing a kernel for the boost replenish? In creating it, I assumed the boost and sprint replenishes are basically the same, with the exception that many of us on the sprint version are on phoenix ROM and so we have ext4 formats and not the samsung RFS formats. So, I created a different version of my kernel with RFS support contained in the RAMdisk. I have tested this on a non phoenix replenish (sprint version) and it works fine, so I am hoping it will work on the boost phone as well.

What I need is someone who has a rooted phone with clockworkmod that is willing to test. All you need to do is take a CWM backup of your phone, and then run an update,zip from your SD card. If the phone boots, great! If not, then just restore from your CWM backup and no harm done. If it does boot, then I'd like my volunteer to use if for about a week to make sure everything works (e.g 3G, bluetooth, WIFI, etc) before I release to the masses.

Any takers?

If this does work, then this custom kernel will basically provide for the ability to use different CPU governers (battery saver) as well as overclock (faster speed). This kernel is based off of the FA19 gingerbread release from samsung.

Thanks!

I am willing to beta. Boost here stock gingerbead.fb09.

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
OK you two - here is a zip archive. It is password protected (I will PM you the password). Unzip this zip to exract the one file contained within this zip (which is update.zip) and then copy that update.zip to your SD card. Reboot your phone into CWM and select the install from SD card option to get it to run the update the zip. But before you do so, PLEASE PLEASE remember to backup your devices as you will the be first to test this (I only have sprint phones so I can not test).

Please let me know the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: ciscogee

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
OK you two - here is a zip archive. It is password protected (I will PM you the password). Unzip this zip to exract the one file contained within this zip (which is update.zip) and then copy that update.zip to your SD card. Reboot your phone into CWM and select the install from SD card option to get it to run the update the zip. But before you do so, PLEASE PLEASE remember to backup your devices as you will the be first to test this (I only have sprint phones so I can not test).

Please let me know the results.

OK. I can get started after work, but is it okay to install this with CWM and no root?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes - as long as you have CWM installed and have a backup of your phone, you will be fine as you can always get back to your backup.

Note however that this will root your phone. So if you don't want your phone rooted, then you probably don't want to install the kernel. I have it pre-rooted as some of the functionality (i.e. overclocking, CPU governor selection) needs root to work.

sykl0ps

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
If you want another person to test I am willing. I've got CWM running and the phone is rooted. Phone is still on 2.3.6 Gingerbread.EK03. I tried the phoenix .3RC's and was able to recover from those easily enough each time. So I'm aware of the risks and am able to recover if needed. Good idea putting on a password btw.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Success!
Booted perfect.
Used rom toolbox to oc.

Off topic:
Can I get some encite on how an updater script will work on this phone? I deodexed my rom to theme yet I can't get a sucessfull boot?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've only been able to get the update script to work with loading a custom kernel. I have no idea how to get it to update the system directory. If you find out, let me know!

I'm glad the kernel booted. Please run it through its paces for the next week or so and report back so I can release to all.

Thanks for testing!

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've only been able to get the update script to work with loading a custom kernel. I have no idea how to get it to update the system directory. If you find out, let me know!

I'm glad the kernel booted. Please run it through its paces for the next week or so and report back so I can release to all.

Thanks for testing!

No prob. Will do on running its course and cracking updater codes lol.

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Works fine for me. Much easier way to root, too.

Edit: doesn't seem to be rooted, but otherwise the kernel works perfectly

Last edited:

pdx1911

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I would like to test it.. But I need to get my phone back to stock on boost? I flashed phoenix rom and now i'm stuck on sprint.. If someone can give me the files to get my phone back on boost, stock, i'll also test. :D

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
34 - you said it is not rooted. If you adb shell into the phone, don't you see a "#" prompt. If so, then it is rooted, However, to get the full use of root, you need to install superuser and busybox. I have scripts that I will release that will do that as well. I just wanted to make sure my kernel did not screw up the phones.

So to my beta testers - are there any issues with the kernel. Does everything seem to work (e.g. wifi, 3G, bluetooth). Please confirm all these things work and I will release the kernel and the script to get superuser working.

Thanks!

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't test bluetooth, but I haven't found a problem wi-fi or 3g.

I'm rooted with su and bb. I don't have bt either but when I turn bt on I do not get an error. All seems well enough to me for a pub release unless there are eastereggs to test