Move Apps to SD Card

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble getting some apps to move the SD card. Mainly, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and any of the Final Fantasy games. I have a 64GB SD card installed and the tablet sees it. I can move some apps to the SD card but others won't. I know that as a developer, you can make the app be unable to be moved so I rooted my Shield Tablet and have tried various methods yet none of them seem to work. I can't even move Trine 2 to the SD card...

16GB just isn't enough for all these great looking games to reside on the internal storage.

Anyone have any ideas of how to move / link apps to the SD card?

SquirrelMan80

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also found this to be a problem but found the issue. The issue is that when you purchase your SD card it is in eFAT format. What you need to do is take the SD card out and plug it into your computer. Format it as NTSF. Don't do the quick format. Mine took about 3-4 hours to do. After that, I was able to move a lot of apps to the SD card and play games from it. Before Order and Chaos wouldn't work on the SD card but after the format it would. Take a look at Nivida's website. It talks about this issue with SD cards larger than 32 GB.

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
What Android version are you running?
Android 4.4.2, the only version for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet. Don't want to sound like a jerk but I posted this in the forum for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet for a reason... There shouldn't be a reason for advice for any other version of Android than what comes on the Shield Tablet. There isn't any alternative ROMs or anything available for it yet either.

I also found this to be a problem but found the issue. The issue is that when you purchase your SD card it is in eFAT format. What you need to do is take the SD card out and plug it into your computer. Format it as NTSF. Don't do the quick format. Mine took about 3-4 hours to do. After that, I was able to move a lot of apps to the SD card and play games from it. Before Order and Chaos wouldn't work on the SD card but after the format it would. Take a look at Nivida's website. It talks about this issue with SD cards larger than 32 GB.

I guess I will need to re-format my SD card then. I did the quick format to NTFS... I'll get that started now and get back to everyone on if it fixed my problems. Right now, I can get Grand Theft Auto 3 to move to SD but not San Andreas. Maybe this will help.

SquirrelMan80

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
FYI: Not all apps are moveable. I can not move Trine 2 either. The app has to support being moved onto the SD card. I agree that the 16 GB internal just isn't enough. Most of the games I have downloaded seem to moveable and work so far. Good Luck!!!!

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
FYI: Not all apps are moveable. I can not move Trine 2 either. The app has to support being moved onto the SD card. I agree that the 16 GB internal just isn't enough. Most of the games I have downloaded seem to moveable and work so far. Good Luck!!!!

I got my SD card to re-format using the full format method and I still can't move Trine 2... Maybe I'll just back it up using titanium backup and force-remove it. I don't really want to have that game take up 1.? GB of space when I have other games I'd rather have on it that can't move to SD.

I tried Link2SD and a few alternatives to it, none of them seem to work properly. I've had to re-download GTA:SA twice now because Link2SD and other apps break the game and it won't boot anymore. Oh well...

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I got my SD card to re-format using the full format method and I still can't move Trine 2... Maybe I'll just back it up using titanium backup and force-remove it. I don't really want to have that game take up 1.? GB of space when I have other games I'd rather have on it that can't move to SD.

I tried Link2SD and a few alternatives to it, none of them seem to work properly. I've had to re-download GTA:SA twice now because Link2SD and other apps break the game and it won't boot anymore. Oh well...

One thing you can try is foldermount. You can d/l it for free and move 3 apps. If it works you can buy the full version which allows unlimited moves. I never could get link2sd working properly and the developer never answered any of my emails.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Foldermou t is definitely awesome. I use it on my note 3 and nexus 10 (using a USB and stixkmount)
Should work really well on the shield tablet. Tho I do think you ha e to be rooted. What the app does is move the data in the obb folder and create a shortcut so the app thinks that the files are on the internal memory.
I did noticed that gang star Vegas was the only game that had lag once I moved the files. So I left that one on my phones memory.

Posted via Android Central App

Sharon Waddle

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble getting some apps to move the SD card. Mainly, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and any of the Final Fantasy games. I have a 64GB SD card installed and the tablet sees it. I can move some apps to the SD card but others won't. I know that as a developer, you can make the app be unable to be moved so I rooted my Shield Tablet and have tried various methods yet none of them seem to work. I can't even move Trine 2 to the SD card...

16GB just isn't enough for all these great looking games to reside on the internal storage.

Anyone have any ideas of how to move / link apps to the SD card?

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Android 4.4.2, the only version for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet. Don't want to sound like a jerk but I posted this in the forum for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet for a reason... There shouldn't be a reason for advice for any other version of Android than what comes on the Shield Tablet. There isn't any alternative ROMs or anything available for it yet either.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but Nvidia shield tablet has already been updated to android lollipop 5.0 (in fact 5.0.1). 5.0 changes the way the sd card is treated and returns many provisions for sd card and data handling to apps that had been lost to android users after gingerbread. It's a very apt question to ask which version of android you are running.

I have Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Half Life 2, all on my sd card and all run great. I also have a 64 GB card The only one that will not move to sd card is Trine 2. which is developer restricted to on device storage. I never stored games or apps on the sd card before I updated to lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed