Like and Thanks

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've seen many posters like and thank another poster on the same post. I was under the impression the Like button was for something you agree with and the Thanks button was for something the poster provided that you found helpful or answered a question you might have had. Of course you can click on both buttons if you wish. I just don't understand the use of both at the same time. And to be on topic, how about those Samsung sales figures? :D

anon(5844091)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, people who actively look for Likes/Thanks after posting are abusing the system. You shouldn't be asking for praise no matter what good you've done for the community - it should happen naturally.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, people who actively look for Likes/Thanks after posting are abusing the system. You shouldn't be asking for praise no matter what good you've done for the community - it should happen naturally.

U should see xda, people literally beg for thanks, because it will 'increase their status'

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Um no OP you have it wrong. The like and thank buttons are used primarily for rallying support during flame wars. Silly. A secondary purpose is for people who routinely post to bash a certain device to also like/thank each and every single post they can find that also bashes that device. It's proper trolliquette.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What is it about liking and thanking that you think are mutually exclusive?

As far as I can tell it's just there so you can show a poser that you appreciate the time and effort they put into their post without adding a bunch of useless, "+1" posts to every thread.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes a person answers my question but do not give a further answer for example just a link to a possible solution, so I just thank their post. Now if the person responds and gives a thorough and easy to read answer, I will like their post on top of that.

To me it is not only about context but how in depth the context is.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Likes & Thanks when used properly are very self explanatory.

But far too often people abuse it for the wrong reasons which taints its overall usefulness.

Personally even before I became a volunteer I never based anyone or myself on LIKES/THANKS. I appreciated a more genuine approach of seeing a small pleasant response or PM from someone who was helped or provided something helpful. I guess I'm a softy in that area, I like to see some heart/thought put into something rather than clicking a button.