[editorial question] USB C for 2016 (putting your foot down?)

nexus15

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I dont know if this requires a front page post or not, but I really want to know what the android central staff thinks about 2016 and USB-C? Is it time to put your foot down as you did with the android versions with that recent post on marshmallow? Do OEMs get exceptions for mid-range or low end devices or should it be all-or-nothing approach to ensure a smooth and fast transition and addoption? Can we wait for 2017 to be the year? Would it be acceptable if we see a flagship phone from LG or HTC etc with micro USB?

I also want to hear what the community thinks as well but would mostly want feedback from the staff, because they kind of have a direct voices to the OEMs (I understand that not all OEMs take everything they might say and move on it) and will see stuff firsthand at MCW in the near future.

-Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I want all the USB Type-C standards complete and written in stone in 2016. Then I want all the OEMs to start using it.

Right now, it's a mashup of what's *probably* going to be standards-compliant, cheap to build and legacy leftovers. This doesn't help anyone.

nexus15

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I can agree with the security thing with android versions, yet we still see at least blackberry able to do monthly updates on an outdated version of android.

I also have heard around the grapevine that a phone takes anywhere from a year and a half to two years from initial conception to public consumption. no one had muttered a peep about type C two years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez