Not receiving texts on Verizon

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the XZ2 Compact since late-June on Verizon. Everything had worked fine until about a week ago. Then, without me doing or changing anything, I suddenly stopped receiving text messages. I can send texts and other people receive them, but I don't receive any. I know it is the phone and not Verizon because I receive texts if I plug my sim card into any other Verizon-compatible phone. Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to fix? I've tried both Google Messages and Verizon Message+ to no avail.

Daniel Schofield1

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me a week ago. Has anyone found a solution? I couldn't figure out the apn settings as the phone wouldn't let me add an apn.

Kavu2

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
For future readers having issues getting Sony XZ2c working on Verizon...

Not an expert here, but XDA forum XZ2c thread has lots of info/history of getting the XZ2c up and running and solving various issues.

Backstory: XZ2c launched in April 2018....no one at Verizon had any knowledge or experience w/it(go away it's not our phone). 9+ months later, Verizon tech and some store reps have now acquired that skillset. Initial rollout issues apparently.

What it takes to make XZ2c work with Verizon:
- XZ2c calls work on VoLTE….not CDMA. All urban areas and many rural areas have both Verizon VoLTE and CDMA. Some remote rural areas might have only CDMA service (3g ..yikes).

- Must be US model H8314 (single SIM) *Dual Sim International model H8324 will NOT work

- IMEI of H8314 must be US registered to Verizon (note some H8314 possibly bought from Asian/Eu markets(via Amazon?) were not US registered).

- Use a NEW/latest SIM w/ 4G LTE written on the Sim. Old Sim/Sim from different phone may/may not activate XZ2c. Pro tip: go to Verizon store rather than authorized Verizon franchise/reseller for newest/latest SIM.

- Ensure that 'HD Voice' is enabled on your Verizon account (My Verizon details). Toggling 'HD Voice' off and back on can reset service to possibly solve call/text issues. After enabling 'HD Voice', restart phone.

Notes:
- At this point in time Verizon Visual Voice Mail (free) does not appear to be supported by Verizon for the XZ2c. Verizon Premium (not free) Visual Voice Mail does work. YMMV

- XZ2c may not work on Verizon MVMO networks, since they may not support VoLTE (HD Voice) even if they offer LTE. Check first.

- Texting thru 'Textra' app may not work(for MMS?) at present. Use standard app to check texting/MMS.

Bottom Line ….
If having problems getting voice/texts working on your XZ2c model H8314(US single sim) first try going to your Verizon (My Verizon) account and make sure 'HD Voice' is enabled. Make sure to use a new 4G LTE SIM from Verizon. If that doesn't do it, then disable and re-enable 'HD Voice' and reboot(restart) phone.

Hope this helps.
Note: Tried to post links to helpful relevant info but was flagged as spam

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
For future readers having issues getting Sony XZ2c working on Verizon...

Not an expert here, but XDA forum XZ2c thread has lots of info/history of getting the XZ2c up and running and solving various issues.

Backstory: XZ2c launched in April 2018....no one at Verizon had any knowledge or experience w/it(go away it's not our phone). 9+ months later, Verizon tech and some store reps have now acquired that skillset. Initial rollout issues apparently.

What it takes to make XZ2c work with Verizon:
- XZ2c calls work on VoLTE….not CDMA. All urban areas and many rural areas have both Verizon VoLTE and CDMA. Some remote rural areas might have only CDMA service (3g ..yikes).

- Must be US model H8314 (single SIM) *Dual Sim International model H8324 will NOT work

- IMEI of H8314 must be US registered to Verizon (note some H8314 possibly bought from Asian/Eu markets(via Amazon?) were not US registered).

- Use a NEW/latest SIM w/ 4G LTE written on the Sim. Old Sim/Sim from different phone may/may not activate XZ2c. Pro tip: go to Verizon store rather than authorized Verizon franchise/reseller for newest/latest SIM.

- Ensure that 'HD Voice' is enabled on your Verizon account (My Verizon details). Toggling 'HD Voice' off and back on can reset service to possibly solve call/text issues. After enabling 'HD Voice', restart phone.

Notes:
- At this point in time Verizon Visual Voice Mail (free) does not appear to be supported by Verizon for the XZ2c. Verizon Premium (not free) Visual Voice Mail does work. YMMV

- XZ2c may not work on Verizon MVMO networks, since they may not support VoLTE (HD Voice) even if they offer LTE. Check first.

- Texting thru 'Textra' app may not work(for MMS?) at present. Use standard app to check texting/MMS.

Bottom Line ….
If having problems getting voice/texts working on your XZ2c model H8314(US single sim) first try going to your Verizon (My Verizon) account and make sure 'HD Voice' is enabled. Make sure to use a new 4G LTE SIM from Verizon. If that doesn't do it, then disable and re-enable 'HD Voice' and reboot(restart) phone.

Hope this helps.
Note: Tried to post links to helpful relevant info but was flagged as spam

Thanks for putting this together. Sadly, I have tried all of this and have had no luck. Is it possible there is some setting on the phone that is stopping SMS from coming in?

Kavu2

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
>1901MadisonRe: "Is it possible there is some setting on the phone that is stopping SMS from coming in?"

I have seen at least one ref to a conflict w/Verizon Visual Voicemail being enabled in the Verizon account.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1589542#1589542
Post #7
"Although switching phones caused 'visual voicemail' to be removed from my plan, I had to manually delete it from my Verizon account services to get incoming texts."

So from this post it sounds like maybe voicemail was enabled and activated in a prior phone on their Verizon account? Did you have Voicemail working on your Verizon prior phone? This might be some kind of a conflict with the XZ2c and visual voicemail that prevents texts??? If so maybe check your Verizon account to see if visual voicemail is still activated? Just shooting in the dark here.

In my case I have visual voicemail enabled on phone but the matching item in my Verizon account will not activate ("try again later" or some such). I never had Verizon Visual voicemail enabled/activated(my prior phone wasn't advanced enough). So I do not have now(or ever had) Verizon visual voicemail activated or working for me.

Last edited:

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
>1901MadisonRe: "Is it possible there is some setting on the phone that is stopping SMS from coming in?"

I have seen at least one ref to a conflict w/Verizon Visual Voicemail being enabled in the Verizon account.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1589542#1589542
Post #7
"Although switching phones caused 'visual voicemail' to be removed from my plan, I had to manually delete it from my Verizon account services to get incoming texts."

So from this post it sounds like maybe voicemail was enabled and activated in a prior phone on their Verizon account? Did you have Voicemail working on your Verizon prior phone? This might be some kind of a conflict with the XZ2c and visual voicemail that prevents texts??? If so maybe check your Verizon account to see if visual voicemail is still activated? Just shooting in the dark here.

In my case I have visual voicemail enabled on phone but the matching item in my Verizon account will not activate ("try again later" or some such). I never had Verizon Visual voicemail enabled/activated(my prior phone wasn't advanced enough). So I do not have now(or ever had) Verizon visual voicemail activated or working for me.

Visual Voicemail... interesting. I suppose I could try this.

Newguywithxz2c

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone I'm no expert but I was able to resolve this issue after reading this forum. I first tried to disable hd calling as was instructed to by this board but as others found i was unable to. Then after talking with Verizon for a couple hours between two different representatives and attempting their fixes without success I was told someone would get back to me within 3 days. I asked both reps to try to disable hd calling and they too were both unable to do so. So here's what i did that worked...I put my sim card in an older phone that is incompatible with hd calling and booted it up. (Prepare to get all those old messages at once) I was then able to remove hd calling from that line in my account settings with no problem. Next I put my sim card back into my xz2c and after it booted up I went back into my account, reenabled hd calling and just like that text messages could be received.

So now the question is what caused the failure in the first place after two months, at least for me, of everything working fine? And also, what can Verizon do to allow us or their reps to disable hd calling on compatible phones?

I hope this helped everyone...

Jimminervino

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
Newguywithxz2c you are my hero. "Experts" from Best Buy, Sony, and Verizon were all stumped as to how to fix. The only variation I ran into was verizonwireless.com did not give me the option of adding HD Voice once I had removed it from my line. I was able to call Verizon support and they added it back to my line. Then a text message appeared (the first one ever on this phone): "FREE VZW MSG-DO NOT REPLY. Test message from Verizon Wireless." The phone is now able to receive text messages.

Thank you again!

bk812

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Just in case this may help someone who is going though this EXTREMELY frustrating problem. Lots of good advise in this thread with possible solutions and workarounds worth trying. I tried them all while I was in between calls with Verizon tech support. Got to Level2 support pretty quickly. An hour there ended with me driving to a Verizon store for a new sim card. No change. Could still only send text messages, never could receive them- even using multiple messaging apps. Got on the phone the next day, level2 tech initiates a ticket for "Network Engineering". Great. :-

Called level2 (a third technician now) the next day to check on this ticket, and this tech proceeds to "DISABLE CDMA network function and then RE-ENABLE CDMA"

Thats it. Texts started coming in immediately.

You will never get the texts you missed over the time period of the problem, but hell. I'm not some bum kid on the couch scrolling tiktok all day. Texts are a crucial part of my work life and many customers/clients where quite miffed by this BS. Thanks verizon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress