Transfer BB contacts to XZ1

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
My Z1 arrived almost a week ago, using it just for testing without SIM inserted for now because I simply
can't find a way to transfer my contacts to it.

Now using a BB Curve, with contacts spread over SIM, desktop and work e-mail profiles. It's chaos, I know :(
Blackberry Desktop Software lets me create a backup, but it's a BB file that can't be imported as far as I know.

Anyone Xperience with transferring contacts from BB to any of the latest Xperia models? Thanks!

Marc

EDIT
What I tried so far...
. BB Desktop software gets me nowwhere but making a bbb file, the actual backup, stops there
. Bluetooth only takes contacts from SIM, just isn't enough
. Sony software is a really great tool, but doesn't do the trick for BB when you have mixed accounts
. Downloaded paid version Amrak PhoneMiner Plus, this is a FANTASTIC tool, lets you import from almost anything and export to almost any format
. Exported the bbb backup file to numerous outputs (xls - xlsx - csv - vcf)
. Used the xlsx version to update and correct

Sony doesn't let you import xls, and since the vcf are all separate files (takes too long to correct) I really want to continue with the xls I have.
So I went to gmail with my account (that was empty) an it lets me import the csv that I made from the xls. Problem is that all fields all in the wrong
place. I guess it takes some excel knowledge to get further than this, so I 'll keep you posted when there is progress...

Last edited:

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My Z1 arrived almost a week ago, using it just for testing without SIM inserted for now because I simply
can't find a way to transfer my contacts to it.

Now using a BB Curve, with contacts spread over SIM, desktop and work e-mail profiles. It's chaos, I know :(
Blackberry Desktop Software lets me create a backup, but it's a BB file that can't be imported as far as I know.

Anyone Xperience with transferring contacts from BB to any of the latest Xperia models? Thanks!

Marc

Hmm did you try to plug in your phone to your PC? That means you Z1, it will prompt you to install a software , once installed it will give you an option to transfer contacts, I have not tried this, because all of my contacts are in google, but if it doesn't work and you have them like in outlook you can always import them to a gmail account, by now I figure you have one, since you have the Z1 and is a requirement to download apps. You mentioned they cannot be imported but I think even BB creates a VCF(vCards) that allows you to import them, try to put all your contact in one place, if all can be accessed on your BB the safest bet would be VCF

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe someone can tell you a simple way to transfer, eg. via Bluetooth ... if not you'd try to convert BB contact format to XZ1's on a PC.

If you familiar with spreadsheets like Excel you'd load both formats in spreadsheets, compare them and edit BB's in XZ1's way. This is easy to do with Excel on a PC.

Challenging could be to get a .vcf file from the BB contacts. A .vcf file can imported/exported by Excel and later, edited, should be imported by the XZ1. You'd look in the manual if the XZ1 is able. If not, you'd upload the file to your Google account on web and sync it as Google contacts on your XZ1.

I doubt that you'll get a .vcf file off directly from the BB contacts back up ... but a BB PC suite might export such a file or in a similar format ... and Excel might be able to import it.

Edit: I see, Sniper's bet is also on .vcf :)

Edit2: Some days ago using Excel I saw that I had mixed up .vcf with .csv on my post ;)
Sorry for misleading if somebody tried this with .vcf instead with .csv

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The way it worked for me:

Backed up data to desktop with BB Desktop Manager
Imported backup file in PhoneMiner - I bought the version for €22 online, and it does what it promises, I've used it since for my daughters' iPhone and my wifes Lumia too.
Exported to CSV file from PhoneMiner
Created an empty Gmail account
Created 1 contact in Gmail and exported it to CSV to find out the layout
With some trial and error adjusted my exported BB file from PhoneMiner to the layout of the CSV from within Gmail
Once the file had the right syntax, synced my Z1 with the Gmail account
Result, after all that, was perfect.

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

fulcrum777

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You had to go through so much effort! There is now a super easy solution: InTouchApp. Just install on your Blackberry and Sony (or any Android or iPhone) - thats it! Contacts sync automatically without any data loss. Not only that, contacts stay in sync automatically so you can keep using both your devices. Only takes minutes and the app is free! Download from app stores (available on Play Store, App Store and Blackberry World - just search for intouchapp) IntouchApp - The Dropbox for contacts!