Picked up a Z3 last friday!

Jm9301

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
And so far i really like it, but i am having an extremely difficult time not doing back to my carrier and switching to a Moto X (2014). The battery on this phone is very good, the screen is nice (i am used to Amoled and i am not sure which i like better) and it is very snappy and responsive!

However i find the camera app somewhat overwhelming to be honest, I take a fair bit of pictures of my kids etc with my smartphone and the auto camera seems to not do a great job in any situation i have encountered so far.

And the size / form factor of this phone is what is bugging me the most, it is very sleek and nice feeling, but the glass back is extremely slippery, and i feel like if i dropped the phone it would not hesitate to crack in one way or annother. And the top and bottom bezel are bugging me greatly, It makes the phone just a little too tall imo, it looks huge in my pocket, and is just a bit too tall to use one handed comfortably.

One other thing i am not fond of is the usb port being under a cover. the covers feel extremely flimsy, and i am worried it will bust off easily. I know this is how it is waterproof, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. I looked at magnetic charging cables on amazon Canada, but reviews on them are far from favorable.

These are just my opinions, don't get me wrong it is a very nice phone and the expandable storage is awesome to have. I have 10 days left if i want to switch and i find myself back and forth almost hourly. Maybe there is solutions to the problems i pose that i don't know about? i look forward to responses.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Magnetic cables work really well and save using that flap all the time. Sure there are downsides as the magnetic connection is pretty sensitive. But if you just charge it while your phone lays flat as you sleep it's fine. I love the camera a lot but I usually shoot in auto. I've had great results and much better than my HTC one m7 which was awful. As for size, it is on the big side but the moto x 2014 is not the alternative if that bothers you as the new Moto x is huge!
Oh and I use a protective case that is very slim and only really covers the back and sides, leaving the top and bottom edges free. It's very unobtrusive but provides drop protection where it's needed.

Jm9301

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
the new moto x is not alot smaler, just more comfortable in the hand imo. Do you have a recommendation on a magnetic charger that works well? I will pick up a case too if i can find a nice but thin one.

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I really love my magnetic charger no issues at all. For the camera you can use other camera apps also you can use manual mode it does save your settings.

Posted via the Android Central App

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
the new moto x is not alot smaler, just more comfortable in the hand imo. Do you have a recommendation on a magnetic charger that works well? I will pick up a case too if i can find a nice but thin one.

Hey it's your choice. I thought the moto x was bigger. The first moto x was smaller but the new one is pretty big.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My wife was leaning towards being disappointed with the camera, but it it was suggested that she turn the flash off and she loves the camera now. She strictly uses the auto setting, nothing else.

T-Mobile G3

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
the new moto x is not alot smaler, just more comfortable in the hand imo. Do you have a recommendation on a magnetic charger that works well?

I got a couple of "E-PRANCE Magnetic USB Charging Cables" from Amazon ($8 each). I have one next to my bed and one in the car. So far I haven't had any problems with them.

One thing to note is that the connectors only fit with the cable at the bottom (if you look carefully at the phone, one pin is fatter).

I will pick up a case too if i can find a nice but thin one.
You can find inexpensive TPU gel cases on Amazon ($6).

Jm9301

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ordered a Cruzrlite(Sp?) case off amazon, thanks for the recommendation on the magnetic charger, ill have a look tonight.

Loving the battery on this phone, i got over 8 hours of SOT yesterday (Lazy sunday to say the least), with 80% of it being gaming!

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the Cruzerlite Bugdroid case. It does what it is suppose to. It has already prevented possible permanent damage from a few falls and bumps.

Over the course of two weeks, I found that the access or ability to press the power and volume button a little harder than it needs to. I guess my fat fingers cant pressing into the cut out area and hit the button correctly. I also found that this case lifts the edge of my tempered glass screen protector.

I decided to get another case which is the Ringke Fusion case. Apparently they cover the buttons and also provide a little more molded TPU over these buttons to make it easier to press onto them. Plus I like that cover/plug for the headphone jack. If this interferes with the screen protectors, I may have to shop for case-friendly screen protectors.