went to T mobile and played with their S model

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The phone itself is really light compared to the evo. It does feel slightly plasticy but sturdy if that makes sense. It is just as thick as the evo. and if it is only going to be about 3 pieces of paper thicker when the epic is released then not a bad phone. The screen is beautiful. I have to say the colors are great. The movie Avatar is stunning to watch. The colors almost look like they are wet. Blacks are black like the screen is turned off and the colors stand out. In comparison to the evo screen size, it is a little smaller. The feel in the hand is perfect just the right size, not to big and not to small. I did go outside with it and put it under the sunlight and I have to say I was able to see my evo screen better than the super amoled.

That being said I was worried that the phone would feel cheap and it is not. It was one of my concerns if not the major concern of mine. It gets a passing grade by me for sure. The difference in screen size is the off putting part. If you think the .3 difference is not much it really is. This can be overlooked though by the color representation on the screen.

If you go with the evo or epic you can't loose. As it stands now if you like movies and gaming (until the FPS issue with the evo is resolved) go with the epic. Other than that which ever phone you choose your good. Even with a physical keyboard added it won' feel like there is one there if you compare it to the evo.

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
really interesting that you was able to see the evo better than the galaxy S. Also I'm shocked that t-mobile let you go outside with the device without paying 199!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree, just got back from a T-mobile kiosk that had a demo model (still had the plastic on the screen, and no leash on it yet). Very, very light. The epic no doubt will be heavier, but it felt awesome in the hand. The only thing I don't agree with is the difference in screen size mattering. At the kiosk, I compared it in size with the HD2. Not a significant difference, and the fact that its lighter is great. The screen is something you have to see in person as the video cameras that film it don't do it justice. It looks exactly like what you would see in an advertisement that was digitally rendered... that good.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes the .3 difference is kind of a big difference. I didn't think this when trying to wrap my head around what the .3 before walking into the store. It is noticeable. As for the walking out of the store to test the sunlight thing. I have them my evo to check out and they huddled around it like they never had seen anything like it while they let me go outside to look at the screen. I hope avatar is preloaded on the epic like it is on t mobiles. It really was stunning.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
.3" is a big deal- my question is do you want a "big" phone or a "GIANT" one?

I never got used to how big the evo was. I liked the screen size- but really wanted a .25" SHORTER phone. I can't imagine owning the even TALLER Droid X. For me- the Epic and other Galaxy S phones would make for a "good size" everyday phone. I'll miss the larger screen size- but with a hardware keyboard- and more vibrant screen color indoors I'll easily forget about that. I kinda figured the SAMOLED wouldn't be as good as the TFT outdoors- but still sad to hear it confirmed. Doubtful anything will beat the PRE for outdoor use for a bit I guess.

FYI: Avatar preloaded is a Tmobile EXCLUSIVE.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing my friend I appreciate the input. However, It will be interesting because EACH phone on different carrier looks a little different. I am interested to see how the epic will look.

When you played with the tmobile phone how did you feel about the use of screen real estate? Did you notice how the phone turned both ways left and right ?

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing my friend I appreciate the input. However, It will be interesting because EACH phone on different carrier looks a little different. I am interested to see how the epic will look.

When you played with the tmobile phone how did you feel about the use of screen real estate? Did you notice how the phone turned both ways left and right ?

Comming from the evo the playing field was great. I think 4 in screens are going to be the norm. Thats just my opinion. I did notice a huge drawback on the t mobile version. No built in flash for the camera. You would think with a 5mp camera you would include a flash.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe the epic looks just like the t-mobile one only with a keyboard and flash on the camera

The back is different, and so it the port on the top. The Epic has a strange port, and all the others have microusb. The door for the top felt solid, unlike the pre-door, and a lot easier to open. The back, as i was saying, is soft-touch, which is like the Pre's touchstone back cover. I honestly can't wait for this phone to come out... I literally am driving my gf insane.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has all kinds of Movie goodness to throw around! Didn't the include both Transformers movies on the HD2?

Yes they did. All the galaxy S phones will have the ability to download (purchase) movies from their app. I opened up the app today when I played with the vibrant (it said I didn't have a data connection, but it was a demo model they just received and handn't even made a display for yet, probably wasn't activated). I don't know if the others will allow you to download over 3G, but this should allow you to download over 4G, which would be great (if you have 4G).

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The screen is great if I didn't have an evo I would get the epic for sure. Its big enough and small enough to very comfortably for in your pocket. Messing with it is a charm can't wait to see what the epic has to come

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The back is different, and so it the port on the top. The Epic has a strange port, and all the others have microusb. The door for the top felt solid, unlike the pre-door, and a lot easier to open. The back, as i was saying, is soft-touch, which is like the Pre's touchstone back cover. I honestly can't wait for this phone to come out... I literally am driving my gf insane.

The EPIC doesn't use micro-usb? I find that really hard to believe.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The EPIC doesn't use micro-usb? I find that really hard to believe.

scratch that, I lied. I must have had the port of another phone on the mind. Oh well. I still need to get all new accessories, butyeah, its microUSB. Which, fortunately for me, I have a Samsung WEP870 that charges with one, so extra cable for home and away not necessary! I will make some kind of docking station and I'll post back with pictures. I'll probably somehow make it from a belt-clip once cheapo ebay accessories are available.

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I played with one for 40 minutes...
It felt a little sluggish... moving through t ouch wiz... might have been the plastic that my friend kept over the screen...
Camera was very nice to use...
Pictures look good...

I did not like the light feel of the phone, compared to my EVO... just felt too light...
I have had a touch pro2 and I now have the EVO... there is sort of a big difference in the screens..

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
is 11.3% HUGE?

Since it's diagonal and not just vertical or horizontal, you're actually looking at about something closer to 18% larger. When you take into account that the dimensions of the phones are nearly identical, it makes the Evo that much more impressive to see them fit about 18% more screen into a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress