Samsung Epic Issue - Need help. 4 Days of Gmail Contacts/Android Market Frustration!

aweyrich

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So I bought my Epic 4G on the release date. Being a former Evo owner - I know my way around Android Ok. However I am having a huge problem that has spanned over 2 Epic phones and 4 days at the Sprint store (and they are stumped and so am I).

The problem: When gmail synchs my contacts and therefore phone numbers +plus email addresses - I am never able to download/install apps from the Android Market after the sync. I always get a 'Download Unsuccessful' error after the gmail contacts sync. If I wipe the phone and don't sync contacts - apps download and install fine. However I need to eventually sync to get my phone numbers which are stored in gmail.

The possible issue: I have a ridiculous amount of contacts in my gmail - about 4000 - I really do not have this many friends - haha. I have rented out townhouses for some years and blasted out roommate ads to hundreds over people so I have a huge amount of random contacts in gmail that the phone tries to bring in. Well I don't want those contacts - I only want my 'other contacts' from Gmail which has my small amount of about 60 phone numbers in them. However it always brings in the 4000 random contacts and that seems to corrupt the Android market download and install process.

Sprint was so confused by this that after 3 straight days of trying different things - they gave me a new phone - we thought that would do the trick - but then I got the same error again AFTER we synched the contacts on the new/2nd phone as well.

Someone please help! I am going to Sprint again tomorrow and I need ideas - otherwise I will have to return this phone and I really don't want to do that.

Andrew

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have never heard of that happening before, but maybe you could create a second Gmail account just for apps. Although if you already paid for some that probably wouldn't work for you.

Also, are you sure its finished syncing while you're trying to download from the market? Have you tried clearing the cache of the market apparently in settings?

prdstm0nke

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just delete all the random contacts from your gmail?

I don't have my epic In front me, so I don't know the exact steps, but you can go into the contacts menu, then choose which group of your google contacts you want the phone to display.

Emily Green

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem -- I'm unable to download a single app from the Android Market to my new Epic. Like the first poster I also had an EVO, to which I was able to add apps to my heart's content.

I don't have anything close to the number of contacts in my sync'd file, maybe 250 or so.

And Andrew Ruffolo's suggestion above to clear data within the "Manage Apps" menu doesn't work since there are no apps to clear. I've tried re-booting the phone, have checked all the wireless and network settings to ensure it's not a cell network problem, but am still stuck at ground 0, trying to get my first app.

I've tried doing it on WiFi vs. 3G, shut off anything else that might be interfering with the DL, but no joy. Oddly if I go to the Download folder, everything I've ever tried to download since I got the phone is listed there, but nothing is installed.

It's a shame -- otherwise I love the phone -- lighter than the EVO, great slide-out keypad, but still the big bright screen. Won't be able to stick with it unless I can get this fixed.

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So I bought my Epic 4G on the release date. Being a former Evo owner - I know my way around Android Ok. However I am having a huge problem that has spanned over 2 Epic phones and 4 days at the Sprint store (and they are stumped and so am I).

The problem: When gmail synchs my contacts and therefore phone numbers +plus email addresses - I am never able to download/install apps from the Android Market after the sync. I always get a 'Download Unsuccessful' error after the gmail contacts sync. If I wipe the phone and don't sync contacts - apps download and install fine. However I need to eventually sync to get my phone numbers which are stored in gmail.

The possible issue: I have a ridiculous amount of contacts in my gmail - about 4000 - I really do not have this many friends - haha. I have rented out townhouses for some years and blasted out roommate ads to hundreds over people so I have a huge amount of random contacts in gmail that the phone tries to bring in. Well I don't want those contacts - I only want my 'other contacts' from Gmail which has my small amount of about 60 phone numbers in them. However it always brings in the 4000 random contacts and that seems to corrupt the Android market download and install process.

Sprint was so confused by this that after 3 straight days of trying different things - they gave me a new phone - we thought that would do the trick - but then I got the same error again AFTER we synched the contacts on the new/2nd phone as well.

Someone please help! I am going to Sprint again tomorrow and I need ideas - otherwise I will have to return this phone and I really don't want to do that.

Andrew

Happened to me, but it eventually fixed itself. The market would freeze on me and the downloads wouldn't finish. After trying a couple of times though, it would almost restart itself and work again.