Juice Defender on Epic 4G?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
What settings are people using? Default?

Does this prevent me from getting Talk msgs when my screen is off? Gmail / Exchange Push?

Keith, I'll take a look at this when I bring home my new Epic. I didn't use Juice Defender, but I did try out another app that was like it (I think it was called Battery Booster). That one didn't work too well.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, correct. My Sprint store switches 'em out fast, so I'll be back on the forums before anyone knows it!

Screen separation issues? Can you speak on that? Like some more details? I'm still on my first Epic and haven't (knock on wood) had any terrible issues so far...

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Screen separation issues? Can you speak on that? Like some more details? I'm still on my first Epic and haven't (knock on wood) had any terrible issues so far...

The glass is separated from the phone on the left side of the screen part of the phone. You can press it and see it moving. I thought that it was normal on my second Epic, but my mom also got one and she does not have this issue at all. So they told me to come back Saturday (today), so I could switch it out. I'm actually about the leave to the Sprint store right now.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Juice Defender shuts down 3g totally.

Push doesn't happen and gtalk logs out.

Can't have that. I think this might be a dud or just not going to be the phone for me (my Hero and Evo doing the same tasks, maybe more lasted the entire day)

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
The glass is separated from the phone on the left side of the screen part of the phone. You can press it and see it moving. I thought that it was normal on my second Epic, but my mom also got one and she does not have this issue at all. So they told me to come back Saturday (today), so I could switch it out. I'm actually about the leave to the Sprint store right now.

I haven't heard about other people having this issue o_O and yet you had two that did the same thing?

If I push on the left side of my screen I hear a creaking sound and feel a slight give, but nothing noticeable or worrying happens. I never push there with force naturally and I can't imagine it being a problem. I don't know if this is what you're talking about though. Does your screen actually separate from the phone? Like you could lift it up? o_O

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Possibly found the issue.

Poor signal area (my house and work) make the battery drain very quickly while in use. Non-use to minimal use (i.e. few msgs and browsing, on the order of 30 mins) got me about 9 hours yesterday.

Today with all bars, I've been rocking it hard and the drain is about 1/3 of the other locations. There are settings on HTC phones to reduce the polling of towers to help with battery life (cdma works harder not smarter with weak signal, unlike GSM). I need to find that on this device... asap.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

Poor signal area (my house and work) make the battery drain very quickly while in use. Non-use to minimal use (i.e. few msgs and browsing, on the order of 30 mins) got me about 9 hours yesterday.

Today with all bars, I've been rocking it hard and the drain is about 1/3 of the other locations. There are settings on HTC phones to reduce the polling of towers to help with battery life (cdma works harder not smarter with weak signal, unlike GSM). I need to find that on this device... asap.

Looks as if this is a bit of normal battery drain with a small software bug.

Well, I just came back from the Sprint store and my phone is dead solid! No play in the keyboard, glass glued down super well, keys feel solid, capacitive buttons responding at their best. Added some insurance and now I'm really ready to go for the next year!

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Juice Defender is the best battery saver ever... it only disables 3G 14 out of every 15 min so there is time to enable it to sync your stuff up if you want... 3G stays on whever the screen is on... This app has easily allowed my battery to last 2 days. Its amazing and I highly reccomend it.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Did you toggle airplane mode on an off? That helps eliminate that "time without a signal" number, just need to toggle airplane mode on and off each time you reboot your phone.

and Juice defender logs onto 3g once every 15 mins to check for mail and all that stuff, if you do not need instant mail, its decent.

dcvanderbush

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have numerous updating feeds on my epic (android central, engadget, facebook, etc.). I also have the full version of juice defender and don't like how long it takes to enable the 3g data after waking the device... any thoughts? Does it seem to take a while for everyone else?

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I have numerous updating feeds on my epic (android central, engadget, facebook, etc.). I also have the full version of juice defender and don't like how long it takes to enable the 3g data after waking the device... any thoughts? Does it seem to take a while for everyone else?

My wake is instant...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We been reading about people having problems with Juice Defender being installed when rooted and running different ROMs. Getting away from the rooted issues, my question is how much are you really gaining, if any from using this app? Is it really worth the hassles? I've read recently about WiFi related issues.

Not that I'm interested in using it, more just interested in finding out is it really giving you that much more battery life?

I use no battery saving apps, about the only thing I do is always try and make sure my apps are closed using Task Manager. Otherwise I've done no tweaks or setting changes to my phone and I still get around 10-12 hrs a day out of my battery on medium-above medium usage.

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
We been reading about people having problems with Juice Defender being installed when rooted and running different ROMs. My question is how much are you really gaining, if any from using this app? Is it really worth the hassles? I've read recently about WiFi related issues.

Not that I'm interested in using it, more just interested in finding out is it really giving you that much more battery life?

I use no battery saving apps, about the only thing I do is always try and make sure my apps are closed using Task Manager. Otherwise I've done no tweaks or setting changes to my phone and I still get around 10-12 hrs a day out of my battery on medium-above medium usage.

Paul, normally without JD and medium usage I get 10 to 12 hrs. Using JD I get 12 to 14. I haven't had any issues with it interfering with any apps and 3g turns back on within a few seconds of wake. IMO the biggest use of this app is when you are in an area with poor data coverage(like my college classrooms)...then it saves a sigificant amount of battery. I just use the default settings and when it connects to wifi, it stays conected even when the screen is off, JD default seetings do not have any affect wile maintaining a wifi connection.

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Paul, normally without JD and medium usage I get 10 to 12 hrs. Using JD I get 12 to 14. I haven't had any issues with it interfering with any apps and 3g turns back on within a few seconds of wake. IMO the biggest use of this app is when you are in an area with poor data coverage(like my college classrooms)...then it saves a sigificant amount of battery. I just use the default settings and when it connects to wifi, it stays conected even when the screen is off, JD default seetings do not have any affect wile maintaining a wifi connection.

Actually, that's a big issue for me since the developer totally revamped the app. It continuously loses the WiFi signal, where as the older version never had those issues. Also, the battery saving display has been wacky. Sometimes it says I'm extending my batter x300 and sometimes nothing is displayed at all. Too many bugs since the upgrade and I wish he didn't mess around with it because it was perfect before.