gps or battery life, the double edged sword

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So I have found the answers to both the battery and the gps issues. The problem: fix for one is the cause for the other.
How to fix gps: reboot phone. Should get instant lock in maps.
How to fix battery: toggle airplane mode. Breaks gps locking. Reboot phone, breaks battery life extension.

I also believe the phone isn't reporting battery life properly. Had 11% battery when I got off of work. Toggled airplane mode to make it through the day. Plugged the car charger in and instantly was at 18%. Not a ridculous jump, but by the time I was home I was at 44%... which is pretty quick for a phone tha takes forever to charge.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What problem do you have with the GPS. I have no problem with accuracy but rather not working without phone signal.

If I toggle the airplane mode on and off, I lose GPS functionality. Simple restart fixes that, but then I don't get the amazing battery life (Time without signal fix) until I toggle. Not a big deal, I don't need GPS all the time, and I know how to get it back working without a problem. It seems like the patch they did on the Epic for GPS is linked to the Time Without Signal bug.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
So I have found the answers to both the battery and the gps issues. The problem: fix for one is the cause for the other.
How to fix gps: reboot phone. Should get instant lock in maps.
How to fix battery: toggle airplane mode. Breaks gps locking. Reboot phone, breaks battery life extension.

I also believe the phone isn't reporting battery life properly. Had 11% battery when I got off of work. Toggled airplane mode to make it through the day. Plugged the car charger in and instantly was at 18%. Not a ridculous jump, but by the time I was home I was at 44%... which is pretty quick for a phone tha takes forever to charge.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

How does toggle airplane mode help battery life/>

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
How does toggle airplane mode help battery life/>

it resets the radio... gets rid of time without signal hovering around 50%. Check that in battery settings (about phone...). If yours is over 50%, try toggling Airplane on and off and see how it does afterwards.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so what your saying is the battery life is poor because your GPS was on? And, that, the time without signal is also counting towards the gps; which, is obviously time the gps is working in the background looking for a signal let alone where you are.

How much battery life did you improve from this...

Now, with that all said, if yes: do you know need to do the whole airplane mode thing; or, can you just turn of gps in the notification bar...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
No, sorry. Time without signal is a measure from cell phone towers. If this is high, I notice my battery doesn't last very long while I'm at work, where I don't use the phone. If I fix this issue (temporarily of course) with an airplane mode toggle on and off, then the GPS doesn't work in google maps.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Seeing my time withou signal drop. Battery life still isn't amazing, but I think I might actually be abl to make it through the day now.

Still keep my pre on me though, just in case.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk