Golden Epic 4g thread

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
two tickets

Well hopefully I don't make anyone who missed out on a golden ticket too mad, but I have 2 epics (wife and myself) and they both work great. GPS works great (even when you don't want it lol), and the samsung buttons work great on both phones.

We've had them since the 31st, and have been very happy.

btw, what are the main GPS issues?

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Minie is lookin good. i had to get 1 replacement due to spontaneous crashing/freezing, but the 2nd one seems pretty sound. My GPS is great - once I turn it on, it catches w/in 2 minutes. I have tried Google Navigation as well as Sprint Telenav.

_Bak_

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My second epic is golden. The first had to be returned because I was having problems with my contacts list, it would close itself after ten seconds or so. The new epic seems to have a much better battery...

mbowe

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Golden here, gmaps and navigation working great, 10-12+ hours easy with solid use (4 email accounts & FB, ~60 minutes of talk, gvoice for vmail, moderate texting and fairly consistant web and web service use throughout the day). Oh wait... it does take awhile to charge. ;-)

I am keeping an eye open on potential dual core sprint phone announcment within my 30 days though.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This thread would have been PERFECT for a poll opportunity... users with issues, users with golden epics, and users with something in between... hindsight is awesome!

punzada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Quick question for all of those saying their gps works great - do you ever see a lock with closer accuracy then 30 meters? My GPS locking isn't the issue as much as I have never seen it get more accurate then that. (Check with the app gps status or google maps to get this figure, also noting lock time and how many satelites were locked, time of day/weather is also helpful).

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Quick question for all of those saying their gps works great - do you ever see a lock with closer accuracy then 30 meters? My GPS locking isn't the issue as much as I have never seen it get more accurate then that. (Check with the app gps status or google maps to get this figure, also noting lock time and how many satelites were locked, time of day/weather is also helpful).

No, never seen it below 30, but I've also never seen it actually be 30 meters off. It tracks jut fine, and people woul do well to stop worrying about it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

om3ga1582

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My phone works perfect. No GPS issues that I have seen, Buttons all work perfect. Didn't have to get any replacements either. This is my first one.

om3ga1582

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Mine also say accuracy is within 30 meters, but when looking at google maps and zooming in, my location is almost dead accurate. It is definitely not off by 30 meters even though it says that. Weather is sunny and no clouds. It locked on to 5 sats.

Edit -- 5 Sats when i was indoors. When I got outside it could see 12 and lock on to 10 of them.

Last edited:

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

The 30m thing is clearly a bug in the way the apps read the accuracy. My GPS shows me dead on, even in my house with the network turned OFF...
I get locks within a minute, usually to 5 sats or more, day or night.
For example... I have had my GPS off all morning as I am at work. Large metal building... Just walked over to window, launched GPS test, verified GPS off... Turned on GPS (wireless networks off...), within 10 seconds I had 11 sats in view and 9 in use with the infamous 98.4 foot accuracy... GPS works just fine on my phone...

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
My Epic almost works perfectly. I haven't had any problems with my buttons or GPS but I have had problems with battery life. Other then that, everything else works fine.

ZoogieZork

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My Epic's been working perfectly as well, except for a weird WiFi issue which has only happened once and I haven't been able to reproduce.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nobody has a Golden EPIC with upload speeds stuck at 150kbps or below.

If this actually limited me from doing anything at the same speed as other smartphones using an evdo rev a radio then I would agree with you. Am I discrediting the claims? Heck no, but until it actually hurts me my epic is golden tyvm.