Battery Drain Ridiculous Epic 4G

Sprintguy1376

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my Epic 4G for about 3 weeks now, coming from a Palm Pre (How I miss that WebOS....) and it's been a pretty smooth switch. The 4G in Boston is BLAZING fast. But since I've gotten this phone, the battery will just drain while SITTING there.

I noticed this before really going into any settings or anything like that.. but even after rigorously searching posts, googling, and doing everything a good poster should do before creating a thread.. Nothing.

-I've downloaded juice defender.. it hasn't done much.
-I disable the DRM service, and even use startup auditor to kill it anytime it starts
-I rooted and underclock the processor when the screen is off
- I turn on airplane mode for at least a minute every time the phone turns on
-I disabled all sync services (Which hurts....)
-I only have 2 widgets that auto-update and I set them to hourly.
-I kill all apps when I finish with my phone for the day (before sleeping)
-All the obvious disabling 4G..GPS..Wi-Fi.. etc etc.

Yet I'll go to sleep with 98% battery.. and wake up 8 hours later with something like 27% battery. I don't really know where else to go with this.. Am I missing something ridiculously obvious?

I'm visibly upset about this.

I never thought switching from a Palm Pre would result in WORSE battery life

Any other suggestions and help?

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
sounds like something is wrong with your phone. i left my phone sitting for 12 hours and only lost about 9% and that doing less then you do.

durhamite

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been fighting with battery life on my Epic since I had it. Sometimes I get awesome battery (20 hrs) other times I will only get like 6. What I did was went down to the minimum. No widgets running and nothing updating when I went to bed to see what happens and the one time I got 20 hours was when I did this. If you do a wipe and flash of your ROM before going to bed and don't install any apps and you are still getting rapid battery drain, you should take your phone back.

Reactions: Sprintguy1376

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You should try a factory reset and start from scratch. If you don't notice an improvement, perhaps your phone just shipped with a bad battery. If you're taking all those battery-saving measures you should at least get a day or so out of the phone. Good battery life is possible - I'm on 19hrs with 60% left on light use (albeit with a custom ROM and kernel).

Sprintguy1376

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Blahh... Sounds like factory reset is the way to go...

Well then 2 things..

-Should I titanium backup to get all my apps back, or leave those out in case one of them is the reason my battery sucks.

-And 2.. Would installing a custom ROM start me from scratch, effectively doing a factory reset but with a dif ROM? I was planning on flashing soon anyway, just wanted to get this problem out of the way.

I REALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY Don't wanna return this phone... Getting the invisible shield on this thing was SUCH A PAIN. I don't want to experience that again. Free replacement or not.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You could do that - just wipe your phone using ClockworkMod Recovery and install a custom ROM. Titanium Backup is a good idea, but I would hold off on restoring everything with it until you use your phone for a bit after it is wiped to feel out the battery life.

sacwoo

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=811030

I am using the Phoenix kernel and this Battery calibration did wonders for me. No matter what rom or kernel you choose I would try this. Once I did this my phone went from 6-8 hrs of battery to 12-16 hrs of battery.

-----CALIBRATE YOUR BATTERY!!! This kernel is very different from stock, you may get poor battery life if you're switching to Phoenix from stock. To do so: After flashing Phoenix, charge to 100%. Go into Clockwork Recovery, go to Advanced, and hit Wipe Battery Stats. Reboot, then fully drain the battery 100% -> 0%. Charge it back up to 100% while turned on, and you should be calibrated. -----

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
This has been the case with both of my Epics I've had. The second day I had this one, I got like nearly 2 days of battery life on one charge. From that day on I've only gotten around 10 hours (and its only gotten worse). I wonder if the Facebook update still has that battery drain from when I had the Hero (had Facebook version 1.3.2 and uninstalled the update). I'll report back after tomorrow with whether I get better battery life. I have also made sure I've disabled automatic updates for widgets and such to make sure nothin is syncing in the
background.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
[KERNEL] Phoenix v1.49 (10/27/2010) - xda-developers

I am using the Phoenix kernel and this Battery calibration did wonders for me. No matter what rom or kernel you choose I would try this. Once I did this my phone went from 6-8 hrs of battery to 12-16 hrs of battery.

-----CALIBRATE YOUR BATTERY!!! This kernel is very different from stock, you may get poor battery life if you're switching to Phoenix from stock. To do so: After flashing Phoenix, charge to 100%. Go into Clockwork Recovery, go to Advanced, and hit Wipe Battery Stats. Reboot, then fully drain the battery 100% -> 0%. Charge it back up to 100% while turned on, and you should be calibrated. -----

this is what i was going to suggest, and willl make a difference.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
After clibrating my battery yesterday, last night I was at 100% for over an hour. However I did not use it much ezxept for a few txts and to look at weather and time

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Sprintguy1376

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Update:

So I restored my phone completely to stock using the sticky in the ROM section(Not gonna lie.. that Odin Program scared me).

I then calibrated the battery and just let the phone sit overnight

I forgot to disable the DRM service, and forgot the airplane mode trick, but the drain was still SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Went down from 96% to 92% in about 6 hours. Guessing that'll be better when I remove the DRM service and do airplane mode trick.

Guess now it's time to reinstall a couple apps and see which were the culprits.

Ajbent86

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Update:

So I restored my phone completely to stock using the sticky in the ROM section(Not gonna lie.. that Odin Program scared me).

I then calibrated the battery and just let the phone sit overnight

I forgot to disable the DRM service, and forgot the airplane mode trick, but the drain was still SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Went down from 96% to 92% in about 6 hours. Guessing that'll be better when I remove the DRM service and do airplane mode trick.

Guess now it's time to reinstall a couple apps and see which were the culprits.

How do you calibrate the battery from stock? Eariler in this thread they said you had to flash a different kernel.

kristv

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget to use wi-fi if you're at home! This makes a HUGE difference in battery life! My battery dies quickly while on 3G. The difference is night and day, really.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
How do you calibrate the battery from stock? Eariler in this thread they said you had to flash a different kernel.

to recalibrate your battery,

all you need to do is charge your phone to 100% reboot into clockwork recovery, go to advanced>wipe battery stats> ok.

let your phone die, go to 0% battery. recharge to 100% your calibrated.

theres no need to install a different kernel. but your supposed to recalibrate after you flash a new kernel

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Whoa - let's take it down a notch shaundizzle. This stuff can be confusing the first time you're exposed to it. No need for all those caps and exclamation points.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
sorry im drunk haha i wasnt trying to be mean i just type funny

and how come i have to be censored? are people that sensitivie now adays.
i was raised with a little more unsusceptible, especially if its a forum. its not like im calling anyone names or anything.

Oh and im at 16 hours with 28%

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
sorry im drunk haha i wasnt trying to be mean i just type funny

and how come i have to be censored? are people that sensitivie now adays.
i was raised with a little more unsusceptible, especially if its a forum. its not like im calling anyone names or anything.

Oh and im at 16 hours with 28%

It's not about censorship, just about following forum rules - one of them being "Respect others". Your opinion is always welcome, we just ask you express it in a civil manner. I don't doubt you have the best intentions, but tone is very hard to express in typed form and having a sentence with all caps and exclamation points can send the wrong message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress