Epic detects USB when connected to wall charger

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It never used to do this, but the wife's Epic seems to always sense a PC connection when connected to any charger now. It offers the options to mount or just charge, when connected to the wall charger. Restart doesn't help, tried a number of chargers and cords that all act the same way. I don't have a clue what is up with this. It does charge, but seems to charge slower as well - which may be a more common issue.

Has anyone had it where the phone detects usb when on the wall charger?

smithe68

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine started doing that recently too, not sure when it started, last day or two maybe? Also tried multiple different chargers with the same result.

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine started doing that recently too, not sure when it started, last day or two maybe? Also tried multiple different chargers with the same result.

exactly. only in the last few days. Nothing was updated that I'm aware of. Dunno what happened to this thing.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the same thing. I think it is lmited to the plug that came w/the charger - i.e., the port w/the usb cord. When I charge w/another charger that only goes into the wall, I don't get this prompt.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had it where the phone detects usb when on the wall charger?

It seems to depend on the capacity of the charger. If a low-capacity charger is used, the phone thinks it must be a USB port because the USB port charges at a lower rate than a good wall charger.

Another possibility is that the cable being used is flaky. Try replacing it with a quality USB-to-microUSB.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Did you recently install WinAmp? Some apps like WinAmp automount when plugged in.

go into winamp settings and un-check automount.

I was having the same problems, WinAmp was the Culprit

Reactions: anon(47596)

edoles

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issue. I noticed yesterday morning when I got up. So, it happened sometime during the night between Monday and Tuesday. I'm using the charger from my Pre, but when I connected it to the charger at work (also from a pre) I didn't get the USB notification. I do not have WinAmp installed. I restarted the phone that morning and haven't had the issue since.

androidtrain

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It seems to depend on the capacity of the charger. If a low-capacity charger is used, the phone thinks it must be a USB port because the USB port charges at a lower rate than a good wall charger.

That's exactly what I've deduced:

*When I plug it into any computer, it gives me the three options (Charging/Mass Storage/Tethered).

*When I plug it into any cigarette lighter--whether on a vehicle or my portable jumper pack--I also get the three options because it thinks it's a USB port. I also get the three options when I plug it into my USB port on the front of my car stereo faceplate.

*Plugging it into a wall is an anomaly though: it must detect slight differences in (allegedly) 110 voltage because at "higher capacity" outlets the phone won't let me do anything--I can turn it on and off, but the screen doesn't press at all! That definitely freaked me out the first time because I thought the phone was "frozen" for good! But at "lower capacity" outlets, I do get the three options!

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
There's a thread somewhere, I think it's on XDA that talks about how the phone reacts differently when it recognizes different voltages. It knows a USB voltage is less and gives you the pop up, and some wall adapters (and car adapters) have lower voltage as well so the phone thinks its USB plug. It was a good read - I'll see if I can find it.

This problem though, sounds more like the WInAmp problem than the voltage issue.

EDIT: Here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=802711

Reactions: cdjh

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
all good ideas. I know that winamp was not used, and no new app or update seems to have triggered it.

The voltage sensing issue seems more like it if I had to guess. Since it seems to do it with multiple wall chargers and cables, I wonder if the charger/voltage sensing of the phone is flat breaking down.

These phones are amazing but the battery/charger portion of them is crap. Already returned one epic for crazy battery draw and terrible charging ability.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes the pinouts make the difference. It is there by desinge and it is there on all usb complient phones like Epic.
a) Floating data pinouts (not there) will give you a low charge <500 ma.
b)Connected data pins will give you low charge + option menu
c) shorted data pins (only present on certain chargers) will give you a full charge rate (about 700 ma)

By the way I was able to duplicate get this error installing latest winamp (which I removed after) leading me to beleive some apps can cause this problem in addition to Peloponnese not knowing that a standard usb will not give you a 700ma charge.

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
*Plugging it into a wall is an anomaly though: it must detect slight differences in (allegedly) 110 voltage because at "higher capacity" outlets the phone won't let me do anything--I can turn it on and off, but the screen doesn't press at all! That definitely freaked me out the first time because I thought the phone was "frozen" for good! But at "lower capacity" outlets, I do get the three options!

This is the behavior I see when I use the usb plug of the cheap charger along with 2 batteries that I got off ebay

fabirey21

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I just started having this happen to me this week, I called Sprint and they had me reset my phone and I still have the problem. I dont know what else I can do.

awesomo4308

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just started having this happen to me this week, I called Sprint and they had me reset my phone and I still have the problem. I dont know what else I can do.
Why is it a problem?

Interestingly I had the usb options pop up once while plugging the charger into the phone before I had connected it to the wall.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
I've experienced what you're talking about quite a bit, and I've found it varies by cable and by charger. But for each cable/charger combo I've noticed a consistent behavior. Also this isn't really a "problem" per se, as much as it is an annoyance.

TL; DR: It's a voltage thing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This would explain why my Sprint brand USB car adapter cord triggers it also. Not a big deal, hit charge and forget about it.

Thrack

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have charger/cable combos that stay in our cars and it's a crap shoot weather my phone on any given day will detect them as USB or AC. My wife's phone is at least consistent and always detects both of them as USB. Once I plugged in her phone and it gave me the charge/storage/tether screen like usual, then I unplugged her phone and immediately plugged in mine and it detected as AC. Both of the phones always detect our wall chargers as AC so I don't think it's some software trying to force mounting, they're just temperamental.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty