individual text ringtone for contacts

that.rick22

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
i loved on the blackberry that you can set ringtones for contacts when you get a text message from them

i searched the forms and i couldn't find a topic about it

is there a app that would let me set a ringtone to ring when i get a text or call from a individual contact

2kidz

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
i loved on the blackberry that you can set ringtones for contacts when you get a text message from them

i searched the forms and i couldn't find a topic about it

is there a app that would let me set a ringtone to ring when i get a text or call from a individual contact

u can set a ringtone for texts, dont know tho about individual texts...what i DO know is that u can set personalized ringtones for individual people:

go to contacts
click on the person
go to settings
click edit
scroll to ringtone
click the source in which u want the ringtone to come from (default, sound, phone ringtone
click the action u want to use (andorid, slect music, or zedge)
click save
voila!

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can if you feel like using a different messaging app.

Download handcent, it works great, is very customizable and allows for a pop up window when you get a text (a lot like an IM)
But when you use this when you get a text, go into that thread, click the top right setting button, and from there you should be able to find "notification ringtone" or something like that.
Let me know if this works or if you need help.

I no longer use this app Cuz it does not allow for me to slide down on the touchwiz lockscreen to go straight to text but ill reinstall to help if you need it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

gordo2dope

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
if you really want it, go for it, but for other people who havent then i would advise AGAINST it if you are married or have jealous girlfriends...

they start asking WHO IS WHAT... WHO IS THAT everytime your phone makes a sound, especially its a different sounds. And of course you are obligated to answer because they usually see the screen or whatever. And over a short time they memorize whos ring tone is for who... so then you start getting yourself in trouble.. just my 2 cents though for the people wanting to do it.

Other than that, handcent is a good message app i love it. and should be able to do what you want to do its highly customizable.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
if you really want it, go for it, but for other people who havent then i would advise AGAINST it if you are married or have jealous girlfriends...

they start asking WHO IS WHAT... WHO IS THAT everytime your phone makes a sound, especially its a different sounds. And of course you are obligated to answer because they usually see the screen or whatever. And over a short time they memorize whos ring tone is for who... so then you start getting yourself in trouble.. just my 2 cents though for the people wanting to do it.

Other than that, handcent is a good message app i love it. and should be able to do what you want to do its highly customizable.

You should tell your ***** to shut up. Haha just kidding

But that really is not a big deal and is not going to occur for most people

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

trotsky#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from the BB Tour and one of the things I liked was the ability to have a different tone for email, vs sms, facebook notification etc.

I really liked the fact that I could tell who I was receiving a message from and whether it was an email or a text without even having to look at my phone.

I would like to do this with my new Incredible. How do I make that happen?

Thanks in advance.

Tech_Hunter

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have different notification tones for text, personal e-mail, business e-mail, and appointment reminders. This was easy enough to set up by changing the notification tone within each application.

For texting, I use handcent, as I find it much more customizable. I didn't do customized sound notifications by person (too many sounds to track), but instead, changed the color of the text notification symbol. I have a couple of people who have custom colors, everyone else gets standard. That way, with a quick glance, I can see if it is person A, person B, or everyone else. For me, this works, especially since 90% of my texts are from only a few people.

Handcent is really easy to customize and free. Great app.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have different notification tones for text, personal e-mail, business e-mail, and appointment reminders. This was easy enough to set up by changing the notification tone within each application.

Handcent is really easy to customize and free. Great app.

Not a big fan of the ads. Is there a paid version that gets rid of them?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not a big fan of the ads. Is there a paid version that gets rid of them?

It's funny... I use Handcent so much that I don't even notice the ads... I literally had to open it and think about your post to notice them... :cool:

I know there are various options within Handcent to add the ability to have more "power user" options, and those aren't free, but I've never even thought twice about purchasing them... the free version serves me well enough

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
It's funny... I use Handcent so much that I don't even notice the ads... I literally had to open it and think about your post to notice them... :cool:

Are you kidding me? How can you NOT notice the ads? I must be OCD about them or something. I can't STAND them. When I grab my phone to text someone, the last thing I care about is 50% off the best restaurants in the city. If I wanted to know that, I'd look for it myself; thank you very much. I know the Epic has plenty of screen real estate, but really? I'll gladly pay any dev for their apps as long as they get rid of the ads. They DISGUST me. But to each their own. I'm going to have to look into their paid versions!

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Download handcent from the market, then when you are in a conversation with someone there is a settings button on top right, edit settings for that individual there.
(only way I know how)

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
It would be so awesome if Android supported this natively. This is one of the things I miss about my Palm Pre. Granted, I did have to install patches to gain this functionality, but it was so nice having different SMS tones per contact with the stock messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa