Touchwiz: Love it or hate it?

Do you love Touchwiz, hate it, or don't really care?

• Total voters

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Given that the reason we're all stuck waiting for 2.2 is because of Touchwiz (and likely some incompetence on the part of Samsung / Sprint ), I figured I'd ask around and see what people's impressions are.

So without voicing my own opinion (which will come later, believe me), tell me: do you love TW or hate it, and why?

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used TW long enough to form an opinion. I have mostly used LPP which has been my favorite.

Sent from Verizon Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I like it...I don't LOVE it, but I most certainly don't hate it either. I never understood the pure hatred for it around here. But to each their own I suppose.

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I have Launcher Pro Plus, ADW, that Zune launcher and that new Windows Phone Android. I use TW the most. It's clean and I really have no complaints about it. I want to customize with LPP, but just don't have the time. For now, TW is the one that is my default.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Seems pretty straightforward as a smartphone interface to me. It is what it is. It doesn't get in the way or anything and that's all I ask.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
but I most certainly don't hate it either...

I'm in the same boat really. It looks pretty nice actually. Different from every other Android phone. But if this is the real reason 2.2 is being held back from our phones, then that TouchWiz should've been dropped like a hot potato a long time ago. It's all about moving forward. I mean come on; we can't officially update our phones because of their baked in plague? Now, THAT's what moves me from loving it, to it being whatever.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like it. No love though. Wish the home screen rotated. I was just using adw for a day. I switched back. Adw lagged for me a lot. I force closed tw and still. I might try launcher pro again.

I think its perry basic and smooth. Just needs more options. I prefer the app drawer on tw over others though.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I would like to add that I think Samsung is on the right track with TouchWiz. I think it's 85% there, and they just need to make some refinements and some minor changes to really make it a fully polished UI for Android. With that being said, I'm still happy with where it's at right now.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with touch wiz. It seems efficient, appealing, stable and fast. My phone with ?clair is stable and everything is working. The only things I am waiting for with froyo is flash and moving programs to sd card.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Given that this is my thread, I feel it's about time I chimed in here.

I thought TW was fine at first, albeit ugly - the homescreen indicator at the top is GIGANTIC, many of Samsung's widgets take up entire screens for no apparent reason, and the iOS ripoff of a horizontal app drawer looks cartoony, unorganized and amateurish - at least iOS lets you rearrange apps. Plus, why did Samsung feel it was necessary to put randomly colored blocks behind each app? Did somebody seriously think that was an attractive feature? (Seriously, if you think this is attractive, please explain to me why).

My other problem with TW is speed. To everybody saying that TW is fast and stable - have you ever tried anything else? It's sort of like saying IE is great when you've never tried Firefox, but after trying FF, you can never go back. Compared to Launcherpro, TW is slow, choppy and unstable, with constant FCs and lag issues. LP in contrast is consistently buttery smooth, and seems much more stable. Admittedly, LP may be faster since I only have 3 screens compared to TW's 7, but this brings me to my next point, and the real killer for me: lack of customization.

I know that this won't matter to the casual user, but my phone is my mobile computer, and just like my computer, I want it to represent my personal style and taste. It's MY phone, not Samsung's, and I'll be damned if they tell me how my phone should look or operate.

Why can't I choose the number of homescreens I want, or decide where my default screen should be? Why am I forced to choose between horizontal scrolling or a list, instead of the vertically scrolling app drawer used by literally every other android phone in existence? Why can't I remove or hide certain apps (like Sprint crapware) from my app drawer?

And why, for the love of all that is holy, am I not allowed to change my dock apps? This is probably the single more egregious flaw present in the entire phone, and especially frustrating given that other flavors of TW don't suffer from the same restriction. Let me explain why this is a problem for me.

Early on, I adopted Handcent for its improved functionality over the default messaging app. Too bad, says Samsung, I'm instead forced to use the app THEY chose for me. Additionally, why did they feel it was necessary to include a dedicated contacts button when there's a contacts tab IN THE DIALER? I'd gladly sacrifice the extra button press in return for an app I actually WANT on my dock.

TL;DR: TW irks me for the same reason iOS irks me - it represents a fundamental arrogance on the part of the manufacturer, who is in essence telling me that they know how my phone should be used better than I do. I abandoned the iOS platform for Android for this very reason, and was disappointed to discover that Samsung went against the entire philosophy of Android by severely limiting the ways I can use my phone. I'm being doubly punished by having to wait for them to update 2.2 to this baked-in crap, even though removing it will be a first priority for me upon its release.

Samsung, you may be able to make a sweet piece of hardware, but you suck at UIs (Instinct, Behold, Behold II, TW, etc).

[/rant]

JoseN305

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I would call myself a "casual user" and i read your above post Jrz. I found myself thinkin "Hey, i like that feature" everytime you brought up a complaint, lol. I dont even care about that Froyo update. I'm enjoying my phone. :cool:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Given that this is my thread, I feel it's about time I chimed in here.

I thought TW was fine at first, albeit ugly - the homescreen indicator at the top is GIGANTIC, many of Samsung's widgets take up entire screens for no apparent reason, and the iOS ripoff of a horizontal app drawer looks cartoony, unorganized and amateurish - at least iOS lets you rearrange apps. Plus, why did Samsung feel it was necessary to put randomly colored blocks behind each app? Did somebody seriously think that was an attractive feature? (Seriously, if you think this is attractive, please explain to me why).

My other problem with TW is speed. To everybody saying that TW is fast and stable - have you ever tried anything else? It's sort of like saying IE is great when you've never tried Firefox, but after trying FF, you can never go back. Compared to Launcherpro, TW is slow, choppy and unstable, with constant FCs and lag issues. LP in contrast is consistently buttery smooth, and seems much more stable. Admittedly, LP may be faster since I only have 3 screens compared to TW's 7, but this brings me to my next point, and the real killer for me: lack of customization.

I know that this won't matter to the casual user, but my phone is my mobile computer, and just like my computer, I want it to represent my personal style and taste. It's MY phone, not Samsung's, and I'll be damned if they tell me how my phone should look or operate.

Why can't I choose the number of homescreens I want, or decide where my default screen should be? Why am I forced to choose between horizontal scrolling or a list, instead of the vertically scrolling app drawer used by literally every other android phone in existence? Why can't I remove or hide certain apps (like Sprint crapware) from my app drawer?

And why, for the love of all that is holy, am I not allowed to change my dock apps? This is probably the single more egregious flaw present in the entire phone, and especially frustrating given that other flavors of TW don't suffer from the same restriction. Let me explain why this is a problem for me.

Early on, I adopted Handcent for its improved functionality over the default messaging app. Too bad, says Samsung, I'm instead forced to use the app THEY chose for me. Additionally, why did they feel it was necessary to include a dedicated contacts button when there's a contacts tab IN THE DIALER? I'd gladly sacrifice the extra button press in return for an app I actually WANT on my dock.

TL;DR: TW irks me for the same reason iOS irks me - it represents a fundamental arrogance on the part of the manufacturer, who is in essence telling me that they know how my phone should be used better than I do. I abandoned the iOS platform for Android for this very reason, and was disappointed to discover that Samsung went against the entire philosophy of Android by severely limiting the ways I can use my phone. I'm being doubly punished by having to wait for them to update 2.2 to this baked-in crap, even though removing it will be a first priority for me upon its release.

Samsung, you may be able to make a sweet piece of hardware, but you suck at UIs (Instinct, Behold, Behold II, TW, etc).

[/rant]

Most of these features -- rearranging icons, changing the number of homescreens, are available on the Fascinate version of TouchWiz. TW 3.0 by default does allow these features, but from my understanding there are two different versions of TW floating around.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Chris, you are correct, the Epic runs a modified version of TW 2.5 and is the only version of the galaxy S to do so (to my knowledge). Were they to fix some of the issues regarding customization, obviously those complaints of mine would be addressed.

I'd still think it's ugly as sin, though XD

Balzak

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
It works fine for my wife but I prefer to customize mine and stuff. I guess I would hate it if there wasn't any options but for avg users like my wife, she wouldnt know the difference between touch wiz and cheese wiz.

Reactions: Gator352

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
TW is fine for me as I do not like a bunch of crap on my desktop computers desktop or my phones home screen. I have only 3 shortcuts besides the 4 buttons on the bottom. I can give a **** about customizing the icons and by putting my own custom back ground on my phone have made it one of a kind and mine.

I use the list for my apps drawer because I hate the clutter of a bunch of icons and find an alphabetical list works better for me and makes finding the app I want easier.

Most people are not power users and the tw will be fine. As you have stated, you can download another launcher if you are unhappy with what comes on your phone.

To be completely honest too many options will just confuse approx. half of the users out there. And I can understand why Samsung tried to make it simpler with less options for the (not as tech savvy) average user. Samsung knows that the tech savvy people can and will install a different launcher. I would say they designed TW for the noob not the geek. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463