Would you like to have Sprint ID in your Samsung Epic 4g?

would you like to have Sprint ID in your Samsung Epic?

• Total voters

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
How about an explanation of what Sprint ID is for the uninformed folk? :)

P.S. this is a great topic for General. Moving now..

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
like me...whats so special (or unspecial) about having a sprint id? also i already have 2.2.1 when they first sent it out...well i downloaded it via samsung's website with the sd card/update.zip file. i'm also rooted with the One click root and recovery for the epic 4g V2.55 with clockworkmod redirector from xda's website. will i get this update and if i do will i have to update?? i had great luck and success with this version of froyo and well if its not broken dont fix it. i might download and save it to my comp just in case it gets really good reviews then i'll put it on my phone. any thoughts, ideas, and/ or suggestions?

How about an explanation of what Sprint ID is for the uninformed folk? :)

P.S. this is a great topic for General. Moving now..

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Heck to the Nyet!

No way, Sprint is notorious for Bloat ware ( Nascar, Sprint TV, ect..) I do not need additional storage used up for eyecandy Sprint thinks I need or want.

Even those that do not root have abundance of options to customize their Stock Epic without Sprints Bloatware.

This is one reason Why I will avoid at all cost any OTA updates..

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope this doesn't break any of the fix's I have already fixed, ie, camera sports mode FC, video lag, BT dialing, GPS lock, screen rotation lag, and call log bug, besides sucking up more of my resources and memory.

Is there any way to not let the update happen without getting nagged until you do - if they only nag you for 4 days and then stop, I can live with that and then do a cwm restore.

Any secret knowledge out there that knows what this will entail? Or is the Sprint ID going to be forced to have on the phone in order for it to talk to Sprints network?

I am kind of bummed that I may be forced with this update now that my phone is working perfectly except for my call log bug which I can live with. :-(

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I took it upon myself to fire up that old Google..

Sprint ID, exclusively by Sprint, lets users (on select Sprint devices) instantly download a “total experience” like ringtones, wallpapers, apps and widgets all at once. It’s a new kind of marketplace where the user can choose from a growing list of Sprint ID pack experiences.

Sprint ID is a catalog of experiences that will grow and expand giving Sprint customers a new kind of on-device technology to explore. Users can choose from a single experience or many (up to five IDs at once). Only Sprint ID gives the user ringers, wallpapers, apps and widgets downloaded all at once, in one click based on the Sprint ID pack they choose – it personalizes their home screen automatically – a total experience in a single download.

With Sprint ID Sprint customers can personalize their phone in one click with the Sprint ID pack that fits their needs and personality – automatically; no more wasted time searching for apps in the app store (though users have access to the android market).

Key Features

Health & Fitness Pack

Sprint ID is a new marketplace that gives customers access to a list of “total experiences” that will only continue to grow – giving them never dreamed of options for their phone.
Users can continue to personalize their phone from the Android market but now choose a Sprint ID pack that gives a “total experience” that’s right for them.
With Sprint ID a user can personalize their phone in a fast manner.
Total customization - Instantly install, download or swap apps, ringers, widgets and more.
Offers a way to blend bi-language and bi-cultural worlds with Sprint ID Hispanic packs for Sports, CEO of Household and Wireless Addict.

Sounds bloat-tastic. I hope it's a simple .apk removal to get rid of and doesn't require digging through system files..

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
its just another way for sprint to kill our battery life and overcrowd the memory on our devices. personally- unless for some reason ACE doesnt support eb13 after ec05 comes out... i wont be switching to it. i like eb13. it works. just like dk28 worked. sprint cant get something right but yet devoted devs on AndroidCentral, XDA, and SDX fixed the problems in it, changed filesystem, rooted, and had it ready for public download in like what... 8 hours? WTF sprint???!!! my gf has ID on her phone. its a waste of space. (yet she wont let me touch her phone to root and fix it for her. personalize it. she thinks i'm breaking my phone by doing this. soo consumed with the concept of a waranty.. which is there for the SOFTWARE, as TEP covers the hardware, that she wont let me touch her phone). total waste of time.

if you arent creative enough to use the web and find your own ringtones and themes then dont get an android. get a BB or an iphone. >.<

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have two Samsung Transform in my account with Sprint. This device (Transform) would be a better product without Sprint ID. I will not download this new update for the Epic. I will stay with my custom rom ACE or another one for a while.

Last edited:

slovak

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sprint ID is a POS Sprint crapware that Sprint designed so you have no control over your phone as usual, unless you are rooted of course. It is basically a theme manager so to speak, if you don't like the choices Sprint ID gives you, then you are SOL, unless you root and remove the .apk associated with it.
My neighbor has it on her phone, won't let me root it for her, and wishes she never got the phone now. The tech at my Sprint repair center that I have known for the 10+ years I've been with them told me not to get any phone with Sprint ID when I was asking his advice on a new phone purchase.
There is even a thread over at SDX forums where someone thinks it logs keystrokes too, which I have no idea if that's true or not.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I hope Sprint takes a look at this poll before releasing this new update for Epic with Sprint ID. Please give us your opinion.
Thanks Everyone who just did it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Another note I have to add about Sprint ID, I read in other Google search awhile back that along with Sprints idea of making things easier for us it also has naturally, ADVERTISEMENTS displayed on screen to lag things up.. So Sprint is also getting a kickback off those who run Sprint ID, they get their monthly cut or however its setup on advertisments displayed.

This will be the very first thing I look into removing the moment I download it and get rooted.

Actually I may wait about an hour or so into the release because that is about how long it took Dameon87 to provide everyone with a deodexed version of Froyo EB13 once it was released.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I keep wondering if this release on Monday 3/21 will even materialize.. Here it is 10am Saturday morning we haven't heard anything since the information provided here at androidcentral.com blog. I just checked opensource.samsung.com and nothing has changed there (didn't expect it to this early) and I've scoured Sprints site looking for anything talking about it....

Seems funny that Sprint hasn't even released a statement concerning it before the weekend started.

I could care less if it comes out or not, I just want to know if Monday is the day or not.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I talked to a Sprint Tech last night and she had to ask another tech, but it seems you will have a nag screen until you take the OTA Sprint ID update - how true that is idk :-(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana