Epic Sound bug

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a known bug, but I am having an odd problem lately. When I first reboot my phone everything works great, the ringers, the music player, etc. However after a few days if I haven't rebooted it, my ringer no longer is audible, when I try to play music it says there some error and I end up having to the reboot the phone. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Is there a fix? Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a known bug, but I am having an odd problem lately. When I first reboot my phone everything works great, the ringers, the music player, etc. However after a few days if I haven't rebooted it, my ringer no longer is audible, when I try to play music it says there some error and I end up having to the reboot the phone. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Is there a fix? Thanks in advance.
Hate to suggest it but maybe a factory reset is in your near future... Contacts/Calender are okay because they are linked to your Google account. You could always export a backup to your sdcard just incase. SMS Backup and Restore from the Market will handle backing up your txts to sdcard.
Just a suggestion but it almost sounds like this could help.

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Dallas, I'm having the same issue with my Epic. I did a factory reset about 5 or 6 weeks ago and the problem went away for a while, but it just recently came back. I haven't done another factory reset yet because I haven't backed up the phone. I have found that if I go into Setting/SD card and phone storage and select "Unmount SD card" and then select to mount the card again right away (no need to actually remove the SD card) all of the files will work again at least for a few days. I'm hoping that Gingerbread will correct this issue for me when it finally rolls out. Hope it's soon.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the stock SD card or did you upgrade? I got a 32GB card a while ago, but I had the same problem prior to changing out the card so I don't think it's related.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is just the stock SD card and i have not backed up anything, so i can't do the factory reset yet. Is there a good free backup program? I had Sprite on my old Treo and it ran great and the reset was an easy process. What do people recommend?

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have an odd issue where my sound are very muted, not gone, just very quiet. SMS and Email ring tones and media. If I reboot the sounds are good for a day or so, then get quiet again. These might be similar.

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
This is just the stock SD card and i have not backed up anything, so i can't do the factory reset yet. Is there a good free backup program? I had Sprite on my old Treo and it ran great and the reset was an easy process. What do people recommend?

Dallas, I've been using "Android Sync Manager WiFi". It's free on the Market. You load the app on your phone and the client on your PC and then they can link over WiFi to back everything up. It does tend to be a bit on the slow side, so when you back up your phone you should choose not to back up music/video files that you already have on your computer. You can just reload those later. It's capable of backing up Apps and Text Messages though, along with everything else on your phone. Hope it works out for you.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
We see this problem every now and then with customers. Almost everyone complains about it coming about after the 2.2 push, so it could be a bug with that. Although, most the people I see are also mixer to download their music...which creates all sorts of problems.

jahmadi81

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my phone. I did the factory reset and it came right back. Ever since that 2.2 upgrade the the epic have sucked to me. I used to love my phone now all I want to do at times is throw it against the wall. Another issue too is it always force closes. The 2.1 ran way way more smoother than the 2.2 Froyo. The sad thing is 2.2 suppose to be a upgrade seems more like a downgrade. My wife Evo Shift works way better than my Epic since the upgrade. I should look into trading my Epic for a Evo shift. lol

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If you do the reset, and after you re-install all your stuff the issue keeps happening, something you have installed on your device...at that point the problem isn't with the device it's with something you're installing on your device. I've seen no devices come in with this issue that were stock devices. They all have some customization done....same with really every software issue I've seen.

ardurbin

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue. Uninstalling the official twitter app fixed the problem for me. I wish I had the original link to give credit where due, but that was a while back. Fortunately, Amazon had TweetCaster available for free around that time so I made a pretty seamless transition.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If you do the reset, and after you re-install all your stuff the issue keeps happening, something you have installed on your device...at that point the problem isn't with the device it's with something you're installing on your device. I've seen no devices come in with this issue that were stock devices. They all have some customization done....same with really every software issue I've seen.
I've been having the same issues lately too and I'm running stock 2.2.1 with launcher pro as the launcher. I did a factory reset on my phone a few weeks ago because its been acting up and fc all over the place. After I got everything back up and running after a while the phone wont ring or really make any sound unless I reboot. Same with Youtube videos and flash. They sometimes wont work at all till a reboot. Don't know if this is related with the sound but still sucks.

But regardless, I'm stock and having the same issue as the OP.

Just going to wait till the 2.3.3 i guess. Hopefully something works right in the final build.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same issues lately too and I'm running stock 2.2.1 with launcher pro as the launcher. I did a factory reset on my phone a few weeks ago because its been acting up and fc all over the place. After I got everything back up and running after a while the phone wont ring or really make any sound unless I reboot. Same with Youtube videos and flash. They sometimes wont work at all till a reboot. Don't know if this is related with the sound but still sucks.

But regardless, I'm stock and having the same issue as the OP.

Just going to wait till the 2.3.3 i guess. Hopefully something works right in the final build.

The youtube/flash videos are a known issue with 2.2, that's one of the bug fixes with the 2.3 push - people with EVO's rejoiced today...

There is also a known issue with the speaker going out, which is separate from software issues...it might not be a bad idea for you to have your phone looked at...or if you want to buy the speaker it is super, super, super easy to install. I think the only speaker easier to install is the EVO.

:D I love module designs, repair is waaay easier! Hope this helps!!

aeast317#AC

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
i have the same issue, but it isn't days its literally HOURS/minutes
and yes i did do a factory reboot.
My sound will work fine and then randomly it will stop. factory ringers will still work, but nothing else, can't listen to voicemails, can't listen to any music on the SD card, can't watch videos. nothing. and i reset the phone and it works, but the question is just always for how long.

VERY annoying. i'd really like to be able to use my own ringer and notification tones, but i've already missed a few important phone calls, so i'm too scared.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
wow, i'm surprise to read so many report of this issue. i've had the phone since launch and encountered speaker issue a few weeks after, way before froyo. it was a music player app (beta) that had a problem identifying when a headset was plugged in or not, so the sound would just come out of speaker, no matter what. it doesn't do that all the time either.

i only had to do the "pull the battery for a bit" and everything is fine. i stopped using the app until it got out of beta.

as for the froyo release, the only known sound issue was that ringers and notification sounds got jumbled and needed to be reset. although, i did have to hard reset for other issues.

if you haven't looked at the possible apps installed on your phone, then you should check them out. start out clean and install one-by-one back, then hopefully something will materialize. good luck.

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I've got a different crazy sound issue. With froyo ec05 (and not with ACE rom or swiss cheese samsprint gb rom) my audio gets messed up and audio from speaker and ringer go thru earpiece, not back speaker. Fixes with power on/off. Seems to start after listening to podcasts w/ doggcatcher over bluetooth to motorola t505 after I disconnect. But I never had it with earlier froyo leak, ace rom, or swiss samsprint gb rom. Only with stock ec05 froyo. Weird, huh? Any ideas?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with audio files and youtube. It will work, but after awhile of non use it will give me a audio error . In the youtube case it says that it doesn't work and try again. But after a reboot they work.

The audio files won't work in dogcatcher or music player. But only after non use(2-4 hrs).

I've used odin to erase my phone to stock eclair and update to froyo via ota but I still have the problem.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk.