25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If you'd like to add some things that are a bit more under the hood and technical ...

Mali-400 GPU

AnandTech described the GPU performance of the Mali-400 as "staggering". To quote the review ...

"Despite huge disadvantages in geometry performance the Mali-400 does extremely well in the Egypt test, outpacing most of its competitors by a factor of 2. Only the iPad 2 is faster but that's to be expected based on the raw horsepower of its GPU. Given current workloads, ARM's Mali-400 is clearly the fastest GPU available on a smartphone today."

CDMA in the 800mhz ESMR Band

Only a few Sprint phones have this capability, including the HTC EVO 3D released in June, and now the Epic 4G Touch. Unfortunately (depending on how much you care about such things) it was left out on the Motorola Photon. Here is a description of what it means from an article on Phone Scoop:

Sprint currently uses iDEN technology in the 800 MHz ESMR band, but plans to migrate to CDMA technology in that band. Phones will need to specifically support CDMA in the ESMR band in order to take advantage of that part of the network.

The benefits won't be anything terribly obvious to consumers. It will simply mean more capacity on Sprint's CDMA network, to support more customers and more usage. Over time, it may give Sprint a competitive advantage that allows them to offer cheaper 3G data plans, for example. It also means that things will simply continue running smoothly. As Sprint gains customers and as those customers use more data, they risk running out of capacity. That would lead to degraded service, including dropped calls and slower 3G data speeds. This move simply helps them avoid that scenario.

There is also the benefit of increased building penetration. That's not a huge problem for most Sprint customers, but if it's a problem for you, you may find you get better service with one of these new phones, once Sprint deploys this network upgrade in your area.

5ghz WLAN (WiFi) Support - Dual Band

Here it is described, again from AnandTech's review:

"The SGS2 has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi connectivity courtesy of Broadcom?s newest combo chip, the BCM4330. That puts SGS2 in an incredibly small list of smartphones that include 5 GHz WLAN support, which is critical going forwards as the 2.4 GHz ISM band gets even more crowded."
Does the motorola photon have capabilities of running on the 800mhz band?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: 18 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Phone comparison link is not working, please fix it cause I wanna see how big is the phone. It might be the factor for me to buy this phone. I dont want anything that is bigger than 4.3 inch. Thanks

Here you go man. This site doesn't have the Epic 4G Touch up yet, but you can use the Samsung Infuse, which is really close to the dimensions of this phone.

This link compares the Infuse to other 4.3" screens. You can clear them and add different phones if you want to see it up against another device.

Infuse vs. Photon:

Samsung Infuse 4G vs Motorola Photon 4G - Phone Comparison - The Phone Database

Infuse vs. EVO 4G:

Samsung Infuse 4G vs HTC Evo 4G - Phone Comparison - The Phone Database

One thing to keep in mind though is the corners on the Epic 4G Touch are a bit more rounded, which will take a little bit of real estate off the form factor.

thassinger42

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Can't wait to get mine on Friday, this is a bad ass phone. Glad to know that all the bloatware can be un installed. Thanks for all the info. I also have the Samsung Infuse love it, but will it more once it gets updated.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Can't wait to get mine on Friday, this is a bad ass phone. Glad to know that all the bloatware can be un installed. Thanks for all the info. I also have the Samsung Infuse love it, but will it more once it gets updated.

I don't think ALL the bloatware can be uninstalled. Just some of it, which is better than nothing.

guruffl

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Any confirmation on WIFI calling? I read somewhere that it may have been mistakenly added to the list of feature the day of the Samsung show a few weeks ago. WIFI calling would be huge for me as my house has a weak Sprint signal, so WIFI calling would be awesome!

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Phone comparison link is not working, please fix it cause I wanna see how big is the phone. It might be the factor for me to buy this phone. I dont want anything that is bigger than 4.3 inch. Thanks

Then you don't want this phone, cuz it has a 4.52 inch screen.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: 20 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

That is awesome!

I just added this as the 20th Reason to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch. I have also added bunch of images to help show the features.

There is no other phone that can all that it can do.

Thank you!

Keep the ideas coming. I am looking for the cool things that you could show anyone that would make them say "wow."

We have 20- so far and we don't even have our phones yet!

Last edited:

epic_mike29

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Man, I sooo want this phone but im not a big fan of the 4.5" screen :-\ my buddy has the infuse 4g and his phone just seems way too big. idk can anyone sway me to the good side of a 4.5 and help me make my decision.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Man, I sooo want this phone but im not a big fan of the 4.5" screen :-\ my buddy has the infuse 4g and his phone just seems way too big. idk can anyone sway me to the good side of a 4.5 and help me make my decision.

It's a personal taste thing I'm afraid. Nothing can sway you beyond your own eyes and hands. If it's too big for you, then it's too big for you .. it's really that simple. I'd still suggest you go into a Sprint store and check one out for yourself. Hold it, swipe the screens, type on the keyboard, and see how it fits in your pocket.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think device has voice awake.

How it works,
After device goes into hibernation/sleep you can speak command and device wakes up.
Pretty cool stuff

I think I've seen this also, but I thought the guy had to double tap the phone up on top???? Wish I could find the YouTube video again, but I've seen so many s2 videos I can't even think straight.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

How about #21...

It Is Not an iPhone.

And therefore I am not a sheep.

:)

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Epic Mike...use it for two days and it will seem normal to you.

What I got my 30" image editing monitor it felt like a movie screen....now it seems cramped and I wish it were larger. (Referring to the image editing screen of course)

bojutt

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I cannot see the 20 reasons anymore in the first post. I tried on my Xoom, phone and now pc. Anyone else?

mrpaulc

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I cannot see the 20 reasons anymore in the first post. I tried on my Xoom, phone and now pc. Anyone else?

I can't either! I could earlier. I bookmarked the link to read later and now the original first post with the 20 reasons is gone.

Bring it back, bring it back..

Crobderg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

how do i find the 20 reasons? I clicked on the link and simply brought me to this thread. Anyone have a link to the original article?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non