Sooo...How's the signal strength?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
had the photon 4g, with sgs2 I get the exact same reception at work and at home with SGS2.

if you are still on the fence about this, then you are making me mad by not jumping on the phone already.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's depend on where you live. 4G Coverage and Speeds in USA and the world. If you live in small town, it may be pretty low signal. If big cities, could be high signal or average either. I live near Boston, my signal strength is pretty high which is good thing to me ALWAYS! :D
Not referring to why a signal can be strong or weak in general. I'm also specifically talking about 3g.

You have some people saying
1) E4GT has much better signal than Evo 3D
2) E4GT has much worse signal than Evo 3D

I imagine for each individual doing side-by-side comparisons with the other phone, all signal related issues are identical for both phones.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
PRL maybe......
A couple XDA members posted that they speed tested with low wifi bars and it was hot fast so I'm thinking it may be cosmetic for some.
The charger scrolling bug seems to effect some and not others.
PRL is unlikely to affect Sprint signal because the Sprint native portions haven't changed in ages. If you were roaming, then those change much more often and could be affected by PRL.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Keyboard from Android 2.3

What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.

I didn't care for the Samsung keyboard at all either - thought it was odd the Epic Touch was setup to use SWYPE by default, that really drove me nuts until i realized it ws activated, ha

Then the normal Samsung keyboard i didn't like either (I have been running the stocgingerbreadad and Froyo keyboards, via Cyanogenmod on an orig Droid for some time now) - so I installed otheeh Epic Touch thGingerbreadad Stock keyboard from the Market - setup my worpredictionon settings and all is very nice!

Keyboard from Android 2.3 - from the Market , it is free

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
new to Sprint, really slow, please help as we want to KEEP ...

I bought my wife and I Epic Touch 4G's today and while we really like them (I bought a Bionic one week ago that's going back no matter what but I'm not sure if we are sticking with Sprint though we REALLY want to keep the Epic Touch's).

The phone is great - even the speaker is great for podcasts which is important for me (the Bionic better for music but for speech the Epic T is louder) and the camera is very good (while the Bionic's is horrible indoors and ok outdoors, video is different but very good on each).

Anyway, the issue with our new phones - we get 1 to 2 bars and the speeds are for the most part pretty pitiful especially upload which is around 64kbps , download is sometimes up to 500 usually the 300 range - sdon'to'nt know if theranythingting that can be done - apparently updating PRL has no effect - is there anything we can do?

Via the Sprint coverage map, we are in the 2nd from the best area ("goodcoverageseraage and "on Network' for 3G , no Wimax) .

At the store which is a few miles away ,i noticed all of the phones seemed slowcouldn'toculdn't just like ours most of the timeyou-tube youtube video in HQ mode playing (that plays wellBionic Binonic 3G and my previous orig Droid and Wife's Eris).

So is sprint just really slow for 3G - the under 100 kbps avg for upload and around 300 - 500 kbps upload?

For the Bionic i constantly get 1,500 - 1800 kbps down and at lewhich00 up, hiwhc is a bit faster than on my Droid original but still the Droid was much faster than the Sprint Epic Touch when it comes to Speedtest.net app tests as well as the Speakeasy test within the browser and itbenchmarksust benmarks making our new Sprint phones seem slow, download an app - even a 2 - prettyapp is prett slow , crazy slow really....

I'm going out of town for work soon so i don't have much time to try out the Epic and may have to return it today after only 2I'mrs so that i'm sure it's returned within the new shorter return period - but i don't want to rewith it - but wiI'mthe speeds i'm getting at home,if can use wi-fi (the phone flies!) at home but i don't want to end up I'mre anytime i'm out somewhere , i have to waiyou-tubeer for youtube videos to load and then they don't even play without stuttering / buffering constantly and just dealing with reaaccesslow data acess - this is kinda crazy,i know VZW is supposed to have a great network but i wouldn't expect for Sprint to be this slow, i just must be in a slow area and maybe there's some sort of update to perform on my phone? employeesrint employyes had no idea on how to activate the phone or any tips, they were super newbies - just as we are with Sprint's network but other than a PRL update what else can we do, plus apparently it seems that the PRL sprint codes do not even change that often , so an update won't have any effect.

I'm just hoping thahavingehow after havin the phone, it will work better, desperate!

As if i can't get respectable speeds, I'll have to return the Verizon and keep Verizono and I really , really want a Samsung G SII variation and though the screen is large on the Epic T, it's nearlythee same size as teh Bionic and lighter / screenr, guessall scfeen.

I ugess i could wait for withzon to come out wiht a G SII type phone, hope it has a LOUD speaker such as the Epic Touch (the Droid Charge has a super low speaker as does to me the Nexus S) and a 4.5" screen! But I don't want to wait , please i hope there's a way to get a speed network increase with the Epic Touch.....

thanks for any ideas / info

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought my wife and I Epic Touch 4G's today and while we really like them (I bought a Bionic one week ago that's going back no matter what but I'm not sure if we are sticking with Sprint though we REALLY want to keep the Epic Touch's).

The phone is great - even the speaker is great for podcasts which is important for me (the Bionic better for music but for speech the Epic T is louder) and the camera is very good (while the Bionic's is horrible indoors and ok outdoors, video is different but very good on each).

Anyway, the issue with our new phones - we get 1 to 2 bars and the speeds are for the most part pretty pitiful especially upload which is around 64kbps , download is sometimes up to 500 usually the 300 range - sdon'to'nt know if theranythingting that can be done - apparently updating PRL has no effect - is there anything we can do?

Via the Sprint coverage map, we are in the 2nd from the best area ("goodcoverageseraage and "on Network' for 3G , no Wimax) .

At the store which is a few miles away ,i noticed all of the phones seemed slowcouldn'toculdn't just like ours most of the timeyou-tube youtube video in HQ mode playing (that plays wellBionic Binonic 3G and my previous orig Droid and Wife's Eris).

So is sprint just really slow for 3G - the under 100 kbps avg for upload and around 300 - 500 kbps upload?

For the Bionic i constantly get 1,500 - 1800 kbps down and at lewhich00 up, hiwhc is a bit faster than on my Droid original but still the Droid was much faster than the Sprint Epic Touch when it comes to Speedtest.net app tests as well as the Speakeasy test within the browser and itbenchmarksust benmarks making our new Sprint phones seem slow, download an app - even a 2 - prettyapp is prett slow , crazy slow really....

I'm going out of town for work soon so i don't have much time to try out the Epic and may have to return it today after only 2I'mrs so that i'm sure it's returned within the new shorter return period - but i don't want to rewith it - but wiI'mthe speeds i'm getting at home,if can use wi-fi (the phone flies!) at home but i don't want to end up I'mre anytime i'm out somewhere , i have to waiyou-tubeer for youtube videos to load and then they don't even play without stuttering / buffering constantly and just dealing with reaaccesslow data acess - this is kinda crazy,i know VZW is supposed to have a great network but i wouldn't expect for Sprint to be this slow, i just must be in a slow area and maybe there's some sort of update to perform on my phone? employeesrint employyes had no idea on how to activate the phone or any tips, they were super newbies - just as we are with Sprint's network but other than a PRL update what else can we do, plus apparently it seems that the PRL sprint codes do not even change that often , so an update won't have any effect.

I'm just hoping thahavingehow after havin the phone, it will work better, desperate!

As if i can't get respectable speeds, I'll have to return the Verizon and keep Verizono and I really , really want a Samsung G SII variation and though the screen is large on the Epic T, it's nearlythee same size as teh Bionic and lighter / screenr, guessall scfeen.

I ugess i could wait for withzon to come out wiht a G SII type phone, hope it has a LOUD speaker such as the Epic Touch (the Droid Charge has a super low speaker as does to me the Nexus S) and a 4.5" screen! But I don't want to wait , please i hope there's a way to get a speed network increase with the Epic Touch.....

thanks for any ideas / info

What's up with your phone's keyboard?

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What's up with your phone's keyboard?

Pretty funny , barely had time to use epic touch last night and thought the keyboard was horrible, turned out it defaulted to swype , ha
Installed the gingerbread keyboard stock and very happy , if only sprint speeds were at the least decent ...

hatsoffexpress

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I can say this, the 4G goes to sleep and wakes up instantly. It's amazing. For the first time I may be able to rock a 4G signal throught an entire workday because of this feature. This phone, once ICS'ed is going to be Android on full swagger.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So what is the deal, how can some people think the signal is really bad and others think it is very good?

Are there different batches/builds, different factories, or do they just have very inconsistent quality?

Because people lack common sense. Just because speeds are faster doesn't mean the signal is better. As far as range goes, the EVO is way better. The speeds are also dependent on the processing power, so the SGSII will win in that department.

I'm somewhat disappointed to be honest.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have to say my old epic would constantly roam in my house. Thus far my E4GT has had zero issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Because people lack common sense. Just because speeds are faster doesn't mean the signal is better. As far as range goes, the EVO is way better. The speeds are also dependent on the processing power, so the SGSII will win in that department.
I don't think that explains someone with an OG Epic and E4GT saying their Epic used to roam all the time and the E4GT is solid. I don't believe so many people have no common sense and are mistaking speed for signal level.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with speed in your area, but it sounds to me your coverage is the problem not the phone. Maybe testing it out during your travels id you will be in a full coverage area (ie best coverage)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

clouser

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So far I am pleased with cell call quality, and in-house data. Both 3G and even 4G seem decent, with around 1.5Mb for 4G. I know that's nothing compared to LTE, but in reality it's more than enough for me.

My big problem is wifi... Where my other devices (Nook Color, HP TouchPad) are averaging 6-9Mb off my wifi router, I keep getting 200k-300k range speeds from the E4GT, when it isn't dropping connection :(

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that explains someone with an OG Epic and E4GT saying their Epic used to roam all the time and the E4GT is solid. I don't believe so many people have no common sense and are mistaking speed for signal level.

If you'd read my post carefully, you'd see that I am comparing the EVO and not he original Epic to the SG2.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you'd read my post carefully, you'd see that I am comparing the EVO and not he original Epic to the SG2.
I was including the post after yours because I was reading bottom up and your post was a general statement to explain signal experiences.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...-sooo-hows-signal-strength-4.html#post1265581

The point is the same though. Side-by-side or in the same location, some people are having exact opposite experiences when comparing to their previous smartphones whether that be Evo, Evo3d, OG Epic, etc.

It's not unheard of for companies to have bad batches, which they find too costly to weed out where they just let people use the return process to address. Of course, I don't know that is happening here. It is just one of many possible explanations. People might not understand dBm levels, there might be plants or fanboys. I'm just interested in getting down to the bottom of the signal level situation, regardless of what it turns out being. I think that would help many people.

Last edited:

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with the phone is the wifi signal sucks on this phone, my evo4g n 3d get full bars n this phone hardly ever gets full bars not even when I'm right next to the router, I think I might exchange it

Longie11

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with the phone is the wifi signal sucks on this phone, my evo4g n 3d get full bars n this phone hardly ever gets full bars not even when I'm right next to the router, I think I might exchange it
I gotta say I am having the same experience. Wifi sucks, only 5 feet from my router and I get 2 bars. Any father and I drop down more. Couldn't barely connect outside my house where I could go all the way across the street and still be fine with my pre. Other than that it destroys my pre in every other way.really happy with this phone.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say I am having the same experience. Wifi sucks, only 5 feet from my router and I get 2 bars. Any father and I drop down more. Couldn't barely connect outside my house where I could go all the way across the street and still be fine with my pre. Other than that it destroys my pre in every other way.really happy with this phone.
I was having the same problem with my Nexus S 4G. Maybe Samsung makes weak wifi radios in their phones.