Share your EL29 update experience here!!

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Recently I've had errors relating to data with a pop up message saying, "data connection error". Is this the LOS issue every one talks about?

I'm not sure if I got that exact error, but I've gotten LOS that I had to reboot the phone to fix. Only happened once, so other than that everything has been fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to make the update notification go away? I keep rejecting it, but it keeps popping up.

I believe it may go away on it's own after a certain period of time goes by. Mine suddenly went away yesterday, but it hasn't been enough time to say conclusively that it's gone for good. Although, it's the only thing that makes sense to me since the firmware doesn't have a toggle to turn update checks off.

Otherwise, unless you've rooted your phone, no there is not a way to disable the update notifications. Deal with it for a bit longer and hopefully they will go away for you.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe it may go away on it's own after a certain period of time goes by. Mine suddenly went away yesterday, but it hasn't been enough time to say conclusively that it's gone for good. Although, it's the only thing that makes sense to me since the firmware doesn't have a toggle to turn update checks off.

Otherwise, unless you've rooted your phone, no there is not a way to disable the update notifications. Deal with it for a bit longer and hopefully they will go away for you.

Yeah, I've been denying the install for the past week at least three times per day. I notice that it pops up when I plug in the charger or reboot. Yesterday and today, however, I've had no notifications. I'd imagine that after so many tries to push, it just gives up. Kind of like how ugly women try to get past the bouncer.

spensergig

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I've noticed is that the phone answer screen changed, and that the pages now cycle around if I go all the way right or all the way left. Makes it easier to get to a particular page without having to notice where I'm starting from.

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
What is so friggin difficult to understand?

1) Scrolling wallpapers is a BASIC, FUNDAMENTAL feature of the Android O/S, it should not be removed.

2) People purchased live wallpapers that they now cannot use.

3) It's not a patent issue because AFAIK the iPhone does not have scrolling wallpapers.

4) Live Wallpaper developers are pissed. See #1.

Very simple. If this is Samsung's plan, to mess with basic Android features, I will no longer buy Samsung phones. There are plenty of other Android handset manufacturers.

I agree..... Updates should fix problems and leave stuff that aint broke alone

For of you that did update roll back to EK02. I had started a thread on this.There wasa lot of help from people in the community on how to do this.

I still not have updated and do not intend to.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting the data connection error too. When I don't get it my battery isn't lasting any longer, but with the error it's worse. I'm thinking just because the error causes me to use my phone longer until it works or I give up. It's inconsistent too. Sometimes it's only the AP news widget but everything else works (internet, weather) but other times it's everything. Even when working my speeds are a little slower but not annoyingly so.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Chris I LOVE your ugly woman and a bouncer comparison! NOT! It may go away for a bit but will return as SAMSUNG has to get rid of the scrolling homescreen wallpapers now. So don't gloat and don't insult women ugly or otherwise! It's not a workaround Nozzles. The feature to make it scroll or not to scroll doesn't even work from the market as that feature with the update was LOCKED on the phone. Takehiro you got extremely lucky or you aren't telling it quite the way it is. I've had the update going for over a week now and Samsung can't let it stay. For those that won't upload it, I heard a rumor Samsung may push it through as they have to get it off all their android phones even though it's an android feature (scrolling wallpaper).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Chris I LOVE your ugly woman and a bouncer comparison! NOT! It may go away for a bit but will return as SAMSUNG has to get rid of the scrolling homescreen wallpapers now. So don't gloat and don't insult women ugly or otherwise! It's not a workaround Nozzles. The feature to make it scroll or not to scroll doesn't even work from the market as that feature with the update was LOCKED on the phone. Takehiro you got extremely lucky or you aren't telling it quite the way it is. I've had the update going for over a week now and Samsung can't let it stay. For those that won't upload it, I heard a rumor Samsung may push it through as they have to get it off all their android phones even though it's an android feature (scrolling wallpaper).

LOL! There is much funny in this post.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah,I have been rejecting it for the past two or three weeks. The whole wallpaper not scrolling thing is enough reason for me not to update.

And then some!

To all those people making fun of the complaints here about the scrolling wallpaper, read through this thread and you will see a host of other problems people are having with this update and plenty of reasons why some of us are choosing to decline it.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Soap4Me I'm telling it exactly like it is, I've only seen the update twice since last Sunday. Call it luck or whatever you want.

webwevers#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
On thing I noticed, my battary life went from all day to 4 or 5 hours after I did the update. I started looking aound and found that the Vinglo Voice Talk app. changed some settings. I had the check box unchecked on wake up command and it changed it to checked. After unchecking it, my battary now seems to be back where I can get all day out of it. I did take my phone to a Sprint store and they told me that they did change some of the network settings with this update and it now looks for the best connection on 3g so if you live in a remote area or area where the signal is not very good it will search all the time. They said that all phones will now do this with the new network vision they are working on. Sucks if you live in an area where your signal isn't very good. They said they are getting alot of complaints from all phones sucking up the battery now.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
And then some!

To all those people making fun of the complaints here about the scrolling wallpaper, read through this thread and you will see a host of other problems people are having with this update and plenty of reasons why some of us are choosing to decline it.

I read through the first five pages about a month ago and based on what I read,I didn't think it was worth updating.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Takehiro reboot phone more than twice a week and you will see it, unfortunately. :) I was the one that told you Webwevers that the new upgrade is searching for the best possible 3G signal it can find and that if you live in a poor Sprint signal area, it drains the battery searching, lol. Garcia, you are right. It's NOT worth upgrading. Samsung was too "cheap" to pay licensing fees to keep the scrolling wallpaper and to keep the way the internet used to scroll. They make TV's, etc. and have tons of money, yet to customers like us they give the short end of the stick. No more Samsung cell phones for me. The Motorola Photon still has scrolling wallpapers, and it's on Sprint also. There are many androids out there. Androids come out with more cell phones than other platorms do. This upgrade took away an important feature and gave us many other problems also. Samsung will be the eventual loser in all of this. :(

Last edited:

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting the notification since day two of the release and choose to ignore it multiple times every day hoping it would go away. I just slid the lock screen 20 minutes ago and it said an update is taking place on your phone and gave no way to stop it. It did install without problem but I got EL29 and there was nothing I could do and it rebooted to a narrow version of the Samsung default wallpaper with scrolling gone. I was not on WiFi and I did notice a lot of 3G activity today without doing anything and this installed in about 5 minutes so how did the 248 meg. file get to my phone? I guess it’s coming like it or not, I must have rejected the notification 50 or more times and all for nothing now. :mad:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
so how did the 248 meg. file get to my phone? I guess it?s coming like it or not, I must have rejected the notification 50 or more times and all for nothing now. :mad:
It isnt' a 248mb file. For OTA releases, they mostly ship "patches" to your existing files which are usually significantly smaller. In this case the EK02->EL29 OTA patch is around 24mb.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea that is possible I've had an update force itself on to a device before I got sgsII. I just wish the browsing wasn't so bad it's slow, hangs, & sometimes completely times out now. This seems to be with all radios including 4G & Wi-Fi. It was lightning fast before, & now there are times when it takes over 30secs + to load. I know this because the default timeout screen is set to 30secs & before pages were always loaded by then.