Official - I Received the ICS OTA Update!! Thread

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Direct link to download the OTA (thanks to devinrovell @ XDA): http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d710/bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip

(note, this won't work if have a custom ROM, or if you modified any of the stock apps e.g. if you removed bloatware its not gonna work)

Steps to Manually Install OTA:
Rename the file to “update.zip” (without the quotes - make sure it isn't update.zip.zip)

Move the file to the root of your internal storage SDCARD on the ET4G
(Per results from others, the stock recovery will only look at the root of a sdcard for the update.zip. If you don't have a SDCard I guess you're out of luck until the OTA hits your phone from sprint.)

Disconnect USB Cable

Shutdown your ET4G

Boot your phone into Recovery Mode
(Push and hold the the Volume Up + Power until recovery screen displays.)

Use Volume Down button to hightlight “apply update.zip”
Select with "home" button

Note: Instructions below this point are now depricated - use the download link provided at the top
If you get the OTA prompt to download - please follow these steps to help out your fellow ET4G'ers:

Steps to Find OTA Link:
Download CatLog from the play store (free). Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dcatlog+android

When the OTA update is prompted you can look in the log cat results and find the direct Google download link URL. May take a bit of digging through the logcat but its not hard to find. Once you get the URL share it with others here. This way anyone who wants the official OTA can pull it down rather than wait potentially several days for it.

It will probably start with http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d710... to give you an idea of what to look for.

Last edited:

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Rocket, I wanted to add like 240,689,340,968 likes to that message. I was hoping there would be some sort of a workaround to apply the update. Hopefulyl someone helps us out. I'm sick of my phone lying to me. Do NOT tell me my that "Your system is currently up to date." I KNOW that is not true :)

Anywho, hopefully someone is able to help out with that and/or some other set of things I can do to force it to update.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
If you get the OTA prompt to download - please follow these steps to help out your fellow ET4G'ers:

Download aLogCat from the play store (free).

When the OTA update is prompted you can look in the log cat results and find the direct Google download link URL. May take a bit of digging through the logcat but its not hard to find. Once you get the URL share it with others here. This way anyone who wants the official OTA can pull it down rather than wait potentially several days for it.

Downloaded and just waiting for the update. If i get the prompt relatively soon I will get the link ASAP.

firedoc

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My phone is off, 'NO SERVICE'... can't afford to pay my bill right now :(
Will I receive the OTA update? The wifi works fine, I just can't receive/make phone calls and text messages...

imaposer

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow. less than three hours off the charger and down to 25% battery. I haven't even been using anything excessive to drain it.
I usually get a couple more hours than that.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow. less than three hours off the charger and down to 25% battery. I haven't even been using anything excessive to drain it.
I usually get a couple more hours than that.

Hopefully it just needs to drain completely and then charge back to 100% before it really takes effect....hopefully. :/

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
please do not go by what any of those clueless morons tell you, most couldnt tell you the brand name of their various model phones

woah woah woah...those clueless morons gave me a 25% discount on my account when I specifically asked for 15%!!!

All joking aside, I think most of them just Google your question and come back with a response.

Searcher61

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If someone gets the update, please check if the global search is still working. They removed it from the S3 and the only way to get it back permanently is to root and then modify.

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
=byoung1989;1953685

All joking aside, I think most of them just Google your question and come back with a response.

Well if they're using sprint 3g/4g data then that would explain why it takes so long for them to get answers, if they get them at all...

Reactions: Downtown Taco

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, should I remove all Go Launcher themes, settings, etc,. before updating? I think that may cause a conflict with the visual upgrade but I have no idea. Thoughts?

No need, if you didn't like twLauncher before, you still won't. If you experience any true upgrade conflicts it will be with system data, in which case the only option is to factory reset (and pray they fixed the EMMC bug that can brick the phone during a format).

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If someone gets the update, please check if the global search is still working. They removed it from the S3 and the only way to get it back permanently is to root and then modify.

It works on the leaked FF18, so probably will in the OTA as well. Their is no indication that their has been any change past the final leaked ROM.

imaposer

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Going to the Swype settings and doing a clear data has Swype working again. So far other than battery drain, no other issues. Much better than on the two Acer tablets i have. It ruined both of them.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
FF18 has issues. Most of us in the rooting scene are baffled that this is their final release. Email app has issues, I'm getting LOS when I never had it before, various visual bugs, ect. The FF18 has been leaked for a couple of weeks now and I've not been impressed so far. The only thing I'm really happy about is that I can now use my bluetooth headset while using the headset jack to my cars radio.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
3f952de2-f050-3795.jpg

LIES!!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall