Think well get jelly bean?

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint store here in Honolulu is ordering me a new SGII. That ICS update screwed my phone bad even after Sprint tech put back GB on my phone. Yet a friend of mine has same phone but his didn't update until last week. His phone has no issues whatsoever! Weirdest thing for me was when I put the original battery in my phone the date and time had to be set manually and phone emits heat when it's being recharged or just even being in my pocket. And this is with GB reinstalled....Sprint tech said that's it I just ordering you a new phone.....

thunderx2000

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Official from Samsung/Sprint? I really doubt this phone will see it. Unofficial via Cyanogenmod? No doubt about it. Crafty developers are already working hard on it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'll take Cyanogenmod over Samsung/Sprint firmware anyday of the week. Too much bloatware for me. Only thing I need is voicemail and Sprint wallet to bill apps to my Sprint account.

thunderx2000

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm almost sure this phone will become as jelly belly. 4.1 isn't that much of an upgrade from 4.0.4... it's kind of like going from froyo to gingerbread was for the LG optimus. Hopefully without the issues lol. Now for a time span of it? Liking at the time we waited on the ics goodness, it may be next year sometime. Doubtfu we'd see it before 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Hopefully the leak the hell out of JB for the Epic 4G Touch, like they did with ICS.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't think of any good business reason they would update them again. I imagine they want as much churn to their newer models as possible, and only give us one update to appease those customers who actually wait through a typical two-year contract before getting a new phone.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of any good business reason they would update them again. I imagine they want as much churn to their newer models as possible, and only give us one update to appease those customers who actually wait through a typical two-year contract before getting a new phone.

I totally agree with you! Why would Samsung bother in upgrading the OS on phones when all they can and have done is release newer model phones!

Corrupt_Data

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I think we will see another update but it will be a while. Luckily we have devs like sbrissen, chris41g, and phantomphreak53 to bring us some unofficial love lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tonydelante

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
rooted my phone today and currently running the jelly!! loving every minute of it.... life after touchwiz

Which Rom are you running and are you having any problems? I'm stock rooted right now, but I'm debating going back to CM9 or AOKP (ICS). The nightly builds of Jellybro seem to have a lot of issues.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we will see another update but it will be a while. Luckily we have devs like sbrissen, chris41g, and phantomphreak53 to bring us some unofficial love lol.

Don't forget DarkKnight_2 . He was first to be in a stable release while everyone else was still going alphas.

Corrupt_Data

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget DarkKnight_2 . He was first to be in a stable release while everyone else was still going alphas.
Ok well he admitted that around that time he was merely kanging sbrissens ROM which means it was a repacked alpha basically. He's starting to come around though :) and the other cm10 ROM is just as/more stable.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As messed up as the ICS update was you craving a JB update?

It will not happen, I guarantee it. This phone is old hat. They won't bother.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
It's coming... The latest rumors on XDA are for a few more ICS builds and then to JB. As always may want to take with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SPH-D710

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's coming... The latest rumors on XDA are for a few more ICS builds and then to JB. As always may want to take with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SPH-D710

There no doubt will be a custom JB ROM for this phone, but there will not be an official Sprint version.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Source please? (I only ask because reliable sources are stating otherwise.)

Sent from my SPH-D710

You want me to give a source because you've heard rumors to the contrary????

There is no definitive source. Everyone is guessing.

There won't be a JB update in my opinion because this phone is already a year old and they gave it the ICS update. They have limited resources and concentrate updates on newer phones. It took forever to get the ICS update, and it is a mess and they are issuing a fix to supposedly fix that.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
You want me to give a source because you've heard rumors to the contrary????

There is no definitive source. Everyone is guessing.

There won't be a JB update in my opinion because this phone is already a year old and they gave it the ICS update. They have limited resources and concentrate updates on newer phones. It took forever to get the ICS update, and it is a mess and they are issuing a fix to supposedly fix that.

Thank you for clarifying that it was your opinion and not fact. That is why I asked for source.

True, it is a guess and the "sources" that have given info in the past are not Samsung Telecom R&D. Unfortunately it's a game of telephone where you hear from one person and pass it on... it's subject to change and omissions. But with Sprint releasing the E4GT under the Boost label they're obviously expecting some level of support from Samsung - especially knowing that the ICS build was bad enough that they turned it off at one point.

All in all I think we'll get it because the hardest part - going from GB to ICS - is now mostly done. There is certainly room for improvements - and we'll get those - but JB is a relatively minor update compared to the herculean task of the ICS build. The big question is will we get Butter or not.... those same sources are currently saying that Samsung is trying to take it out.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As you can see the way the ICS update rolled out for various carriers and versions of the G2, it has little to do with Samsung. Every other version of the S2 could get JB, that does not mean Sprint will offer it. There is coding that Sprint has to do and test. If they choose not to do that, we will not get it regardless of Samsung having JB for the G2.

If you look at the pattern of updates for phones, you can kind of figure this out. Updates costs carriers $$$$$. They don't get any revenue from them. If you get one major update, you are lucky.

Thank you for clarifying that it was your opinion and not fact. That is why I asked for source.

True, it is a guess and the "sources" that have given info in the past are not Samsung Telecom R&D. Unfortunately it's a game of telephone where you hear from one person and pass it on... it's subject to change and omissions. But with Sprint releasing the E4GT under the Boost label they're obviously expecting some level of support from Samsung - especially knowing that the ICS build was bad enough that they turned it off at one point.

All in all I think we'll get it because the hardest part - going from GB to ICS - is now mostly done. There is certainly room for improvements - and we'll get those - but JB is a relatively minor update compared to the herculean task of the ICS build. The big question is will we get Butter or not.... those same sources are currently saying that Samsung is trying to take it out.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
As you can see the way the ICS update rolled out for various carriers and versions of the G2, it has little to do with Samsung. Every other version of the S2 could get JB, that does not mean Sprint will offer it. There is coding that Sprint has to do and test. If they choose not to do that, we will not get it regardless of Samsung having JB for the G2.

If you look at the pattern of updates for phones, you can kind of figure this out. Updates costs carriers $$$$$. They don't get any revenue from them. If you get one major update, you are lucky.

Sprint doesn't develop except its own apps. Everything else goes back to Samsung in TX for changes. They do have their own internal testing though. Haven't heard who pays for the dev work - I would think Sprint but it may come in a prenegotiated contract as well...

As it was explained to me (and I also thought the same as you) updates cost minimal to them because they don't do most of the testing. When a build becomes solid enough it then goes through end user testing by Sprint prior to OTA sign off. Even that is limited in scope. And they get FAR more in revenue by improving the ICS builds since they're pushing it for Boost right now... so much that Boost got the updated modem in their ROM first. Thankfully some of the folks that are in the loop are the ones sharing leaks with us.. but have to remain anonymous to do so.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If it is so cheap and easy, why did it take Sprint 6 months to release ICS???

Not sure what you are talking about with Boost. They don't carry this phone.

Sprint doesn't develop except its own apps. Everything else goes back to Samsung in TX for changes. They do have their own internal testing though. Haven't heard who pays for the dev work - I would think Sprint but it may come in a prenegotiated contract as well...

As it was explained to me (and I also thought the same as you) updates cost minimal to them because they don't do most of the testing. When a build becomes solid enough it then goes through end user testing by Sprint prior to OTA sign off. Even that is limited in scope. And they get FAR more in revenue by improving the ICS builds since they're pushing it for Boost right now... so much that Boost got the updated modem in their ROM first. Thankfully some of the folks that are in the loop are the ones sharing leaks with us.. but have to remain anonymous to do so.