Think well get jelly bean?

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If it is so cheap and easy, why did it take Sprint 6 months to release ICS???

Not sure what you are talking about with Boost. They don't carry this phone.

Why did it take 6 months to release ICS? Why, Because of testing... And there was a major issue in the kernel that was causing hard bricks left and right.

And here is some info pertaining to the Epic 4G Touch coming to Boost Mobile.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch likely coming to Boost Mobile

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710-BST FG31 (FG31 ROM/Kernel/Modem - Full Restore - Unrooted) - xda-developers

I'll just leave that here so you can look over it and read up on it yourself.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess it wasn't that easy then if there was hard bricking left and right and it took 6 months to sort it out.

The article is a month old and the headline is "Samsung Epic 4G Touch likely coming to Boost Mobile"

Boost is a prepaid carrier. Not sure why having JB would be important. Until recently, most of them had mediocre phones. In general, they cater to a certain clientele that is willing to not have the latest and greatest product.

Most people couldn't name one difference between JB and ICS. The people on this board probably can, but that is not the general public.

Personally, I am concentrating on getting a decent working version of ICS on my phone.

Why did it take 6 months to release ICS? Why, Because of testing... And there was a major issue in the kernel that was causing hard bricks left and right.

And here is some info pertaining to the Epic 4G Touch coming to Boost Mobile.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch likely coming to Boost Mobile

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710-BST FG31 (FG31 ROM/Kernel/Modem - Full Restore - Unrooted) - xda-developers

I'll just leave that here so you can look over it and read up on it yourself.

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The FH13 release of ICS is supposed to fix a lot of the bugs that were still present in the FF18 release. I personally cant tell you if it did or not since my E4GT is still being repaired by Samsung at the moment.

And we will get official JB on our device. If Samsung is already working on it for the international variants, we will get it for our device. I can't really say when that will happen but it will happen.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Good look with that. IMO very wishful thinking!

In case you haven't heard the Galaxy III is out and nobody cares about this phone (except the people that own it).

Keep in mind the Galaxy S is not getting ICS. That phone is not very old.

The FH13 release of ICS is supposed to fix a lot of the bugs that were still present in the FF18 release. I personally cant tell you if it did or not since my E4GT is still being repaired by Samsung at the moment.

And we will get official JB on our device. If Samsung is already working on it for the international variants, we will get it for our device. I can't really say when that will happen but it will happen.

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy S is also only a single core 1Ghz hummingbird with 512Mb of RAM. And it was released back in 2010. It is well past the 18 month mark for updates.

It does have unofficial builds of both CM9 and CM10. But you are correct, it will not receive and official ICS build from Samsung.

Reactions: garwynn

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess it wasn't that easy then if there was hard bricking left and right and it took 6 months to sort it out.

The article is a month old and the headline is "Samsung Epic 4G Touch likely coming to Boost Mobile"

Boost is a prepaid carrier. Not sure why having JB would be important. Until recently, most of them had mediocre phones. In general, they cater to a certain clientele that is willing to not have the latest and greatest product.

Most people couldn't name one difference between JB and ICS. The people on this board probably can, but that is not the general public.

Personally, I am concentrating on getting a decent working version of ICS on my phone.

First off, here's the official announcement from Sprint:
Sprint Newsroom | High-End Speed and Performance Without a Contract: Boost Mobile Strengthens 4G Lineup With the Award-Winning Samsung Galaxy S II 4G

I understand that ICS was bitter for many folks - most of them because they bought the phone and were talked up by a sales guy that it was coming soon after it rolled out. Blame the salesman for that - Sprint (corporate) was very clear that it would only come out when it met QC. Since they didn't start internal testing on it until June I'd say we got it in a good amount of time - and they dramatically cut that time on the FH13 build. They could because they tested it out using FH31, which is the same built but the Boost version.

The main goal at the moment seems to be what you mentioned - getting a rock solid ICS build. Then they'll port over JB and work on that. About that time we'll probably hit 18 months - a timeframe rumored to be the end of a support contract - and we'll hit EOL.

Can't explain about the GS since I didn't own one. Best educated guess is they learned their lesson and made it part of the support contract on new phones from that point on... or it was added by Sammy to compete further against Apple (since it was a bone of contention with the Galaxy S versus the older iPhones.)

Reactions: Mattix724

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
So from what it sounds like... ICS will be made as stable as Gingerbread was with EL29, then we will get a JB build just before the end of the 18 month update mark. Then that will be the last major update the E4GT receives making it the EOL for our phone.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Actually, according to the changelog posted over on XDA, FF13 focused only on 3 changes, all explicitly for battery life. Not really a "lot" of bugs. Hopefully there was be some more coming prior to any JB update to clear up the remaining issues (roaming indicator, Vlingo cutoff, etc).

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They are calling that Boost phone the Samsung Galaxy SII, not Epic4gT. Obviously, they are going to be almost identical, but the updates may not be directly interchangeable.

I think that if you are dying to get JB, there will definitely be a custom ROM. Sprint may provide JB, but I am just saying I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I have had the phone a year already and don't know if I will complete my contract with Sprint. I really think post-paid plans are not that great if you want a new phone more often than 2 years. They actually make it cheaper to switch carriers (paying the ETF) than to get a new phone with them.

First off, here's the official announcement from Sprint:
Sprint Newsroom | High-End Speed and Performance Without a Contract: Boost Mobile Strengthens 4G Lineup With the Award-Winning Samsung Galaxy S II 4G

I understand that ICS was bitter for many folks - most of them because they bought the phone and were talked up by a sales guy that it was coming soon after it rolled out. Blame the salesman for that - Sprint (corporate) was very clear that it would only come out when it met QC. Since they didn't start internal testing on it until June I'd say we got it in a good amount of time - and they dramatically cut that time on the FH13 build. They could because they tested it out using FH31, which is the same built but the Boost version.

The main goal at the moment seems to be what you mentioned - getting a rock solid ICS build. Then they'll port over JB and work on that. About that time we'll probably hit 18 months - a timeframe rumored to be the end of a support contract - and we'll hit EOL.

Can't explain about the GS since I didn't own one. Best educated guess is they learned their lesson and made it part of the support contract on new phones from that point on... or it was added by Sammy to compete further against Apple (since it was a bone of contention with the Galaxy S versus the older iPhones.)

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually, according to the changelog posted over on XDA, FF13 focused only on 3 changes, all explicitly for battery life. Not really a "lot" of bugs. Hopefully there was be some more coming prior to any JB update to clear up the remaining issues (roaming indicator, Vlingo cutoff, etc).

These issues you speak of... like Vlingo, that is an app issue not an OS issue. And the roaming indicator.. please specify the issue you are referring to. Because I have not once seen any issue pertaining the roaming indicator on any of the ICS ROMS that I have tested since january.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
They are calling that Boost phone the Samsung Galaxy SII, not Epic4gT. Obviously, they are going to be almost identical, but the updates may not be directly interchangeable.

Boost model is SPH-D710BST. And yes, modems and kernels are interchangeable... ROMs on the other hand require some blending efforts to work. But it is possible as I proved with FF18/FG31 blend project.

Sent from my SPH-D710

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
These issues you speak of... like Vlingo, that is an app issue not an OS issue. And the roaming indicator.. please specify the issue you are referring to. Because I have not once seen any issue pertaining the roaming indicator on any of the ICS ROMS that I have tested since january.

I have also had the roaming thing come on and have definitely not been in a roaming area. That never happened before ICS.

The number of bars in my house is also significantly less. Not sure if it is the signal or just the indicator.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but you went through the Great Optimus S GB fiasco of 2011/12 too?! I share your pain...

I just switched to this phone a couple weeks ago and heard the same thing was happening with this one and the ICS update and I was like FFFFFUUUUUUU........!

On topic: I think we'll get JB...Once Key Lime Pie is out for two months and Lemon Meringue is in the works ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710

I sure did.. Ended up flashing some custom goodness to it. That thing was the biggest waste of fifty bucks I ever spent.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G touch that's rocking the best ROM on the planet. Rujelus22's The Blu Kuban!

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The apple lawsuits could mean a warp speed update for our phones to get jelly bean if they can't sell them anymore. This phone is still better than most phones out right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana