Epic 4G Touch Problems After OTA

Shawn Blake

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok here is the problem. About a week ago i got this marverlous update, jellybean 4.2.2 or whatever its called. Cool i thought. Little did i.kno that my phone pretty much died that day. I cannot access my settings, it crashes and says "unfortunately, settings has stopped." Since i can't use settings, bluetooth is out the window. My camera and gallery work half the time. Either cant take a picture or cant look at then. It say no sd card or media scanner running. The play store wont let me download unless i start the download then restart my phone. It also say the my sd card.is in use or usb mass storage is on. I have factory reset my phone and wipe clean all data and cache. Have called sprint and no help. They want 100$ please help if u have idea beside wasting money for this to possibly happen again on new phone

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: please help phone barely works

First things first: what kind of phone?

Second: you said you did a factory reset--you mean a full-on, wipe-the-device-clean factory data reset, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Third: was this a legit over-the-air update from Sprint? If so, it seems to me that Sprint should be willing to replace the phone at no cost, since their update broke the phone. Make sure you talk to them in person, and show them what's wrong with the phone. If, however, you rooted your phone and flashed a 4.2.2 ROM, you're probably out of luck with Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Edit: sorry for the confusion everyone. It's been figured out and the thread is now in the proper place.

As for what B. Diddy said, I'm having the same thoughts. If this was the result of an official OTA update, and a complete wipe and factory reset did not solve the issue, you need to push the case with Sprint.

Last edited:

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

Are you sure you mean Sprint? They don't offer the Nexus 4. They do however offer the Galaxy Nexus.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

And has Sprint released any 4.2.2 updates yet? I thought the furtherest they have gotten so far is 4.2.1?

Shawn Blake

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 Problems After OTA

Its a samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g from sprint. And yes when i say factory wipe, i do mean full reset. I had to reinstall all my contacts. And resetup my phone. Hold down "volume up" and "power button" on power up. And i do believe it was an "ota sprint update". Phone had usual upgrade pop-up that ive seen b4 on previous updates. As for the version not sure if it is 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 just whatever recent update was. Cant check to see.which version i have since i cannot access settings

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Its a samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g from sprint. And yes when i say factory wipe, i do mean full reset. I had to reinstall all my contacts. And resetup my phone. Hold down "volume up" and "power button" on power up. And i do believe it was an "ota sprint update". Phone had usual upgrade pop-up that ive seen b4 on previous updates. As for the version not sure if it is 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 just whatever recent update was. Cant check to see.which version i have since i cannot access settings

OP, can you please verify which device and OS you are referring to? Originally you stated it was a Nexus 4 which is indeed officially on Android 4.2.2. This post I quoted however you claim to be using a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4g Touch ( Wow thats always been a mouthful ) which if I remember correctly at best is officially on Android 4.0.4

Again, re confirm the device you have in question and we can get you pointed in the right direction and move this thread if need be.

Thanks.

Shawn Blake

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

It is indeed a samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g touch or sph 7d10. Im sorry if somewhere i stated it was a nexus 4. However it is not. Sorry i do not kno the official OS as i cannot check, even with third.party app from google play. Also i did not download any custom OS or firmware to my phone. Odin mode was never connected .to computer, as well as odin is not installed on computer.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I would suggest downloading an official image from Samsung for your device and carrier to your computer and reinstalling it that way.

Sounds like your OTA update was corrupted, but not enough to keep it from installing. Or maybe the update did not sit well with your device.

Though the factory reset you say you did should have helped somewhat.

This whole thread has me confused with why it's in the Nexus 4 forums after clarifying you have a Galaxy S2 on Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Shawn Blake

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
First off let me. I NEVER SAID I HAD A NEXUS 4!! It was the moderator
that changed it. In my initial post my main title was "PLEASE HELP". NOT
"NEXUS 4 PROBLEMS AFTER OTA." i think i would know what kind of phone
I have and what kind of phone i am using. I have downloaded "es task
Manager" and have been able to check out these details about my phone:

Model SPH-7D10
OS version 4.0.4
Build 1mm761.xxxx (sorry for the x's, they are for security)
Cpu 1200 mhz ( dont think this matters)
Kernal 3.0.15-1173404 dec

Does this help clarify what i am using?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
First off let me. I NEVER SAID I HAD A NEXUS 4!! It was the moderator
that changed it. In my initial post my main title was "PLEASE HELP". NOT
"NEXUS 4 PROBLEMS AFTER OTA." i think i would know what kind of phone
I have and what kind of phone i am using. I have downloaded "es task
Manager" and have been able to check out these details about my phone:

Model SPH-7D10
OS version 4.0.4
Build 1mm761.xxxx (sorry for the x's, they are for security)
Cpu 1200 mhz ( dont think this matters)
Kernal 3.0.15-1173404 dec

Does this help clarify what i am using?

I apologized for the confusion here after putting the thread in the SGSII forum, and in my PM to you. Everything's clear now, and we're all here to help. :)

The SGS II guys are a knowledgeable group, I'm sure they can help you get everything sorted out ASAP.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
How would i locate this file? Is there a way to search for it?

click on the link I provided right below the posting, it will take you to sammobile, scroll down and its the first line dated 2013 January, click on that file, it will bring you to hotfile, download, expand the file to a folder and there you go. With Samsung devices, you have two ways to flash the firmware, one via odin and th other via KIES. take your pick and good luck. If doing by odin, you need to download the device driver from samsung, install it and make sure your device shows up. while powering up, hold the volume down and power together and when samsung logo shows up, release the power button, keep holding volume down, this should bring you to download mode. The link I provided you also has the tutoral that you can follow.

Stryke_the_Orc

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
How would i locate this file? Is there a way to search for it?

Dude, just download Odin and flash the ota fl24. Thats the latest official update. That being said fl24 is riddled with bugs that won't be resolved until the jb ota is released.
Go here
http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.p...) (SPH-D710)/Stock ROMs/ICS/FL24/Original TAR
Install Odin (google is your friend)
Download the Tar file
Open Odin
In PDA slot click browse and navigate to the downloaded Tar
Hold power and volume down top enter recovery mode
Press volume up when prompted
Connect phone to PC via usb cable
Look for the com port to turn yellow, once it does hit start and let it run.
Bookmark the site I linked, it has all the official releases and leaks released for this device as well as one clicks (these are great btw)
Enjoy your restored phone:D

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
There are also links in the Rooting, ROMs and Hacks sub forum. Should have all you need.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc