Sprint LTE in Houston and Signal makes battery drain

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have to issues here,

LTE went live today in Houston and I am in the house and my phone goes in and out of 4g like Wimax did. I know only 30% of the cell sites are LTE complete right now but boy I sure do hope my experience with LTE in building coverage is wayyyyyyyyy better than Wimax was.

My second issue is that I tried out an ATT GS3 and the battery life was amazing. Lasted me about 14 hours of medium to heavy usage, however I have found that Sprint's voice technology has a constant drain on the battery. This brings my Sprints battery life to about 9 hours of the same usage I got with the ATT version. Many times within just that past 3 days of owning the phone ive gotten the roaming alert and low and behold the phone gets warm and battery life starts to plummet. I sure hope with LTE this is fixed.

What are your thoughts?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well considering it just went live, I'm sure there will be tweaks to the system as it starts to load up. Sure they can test and try to predict things but until it really does start to load up with more and more users they can't see the real affect.

LTE, no matter what carrier your on is going to suck down the battery... Get a weaker or losing signal while on LTE is gonna hit the battery extra hard fighting to maintain that LTE signal.

In the end this will probably add up to give you the added heat coming from your device as the battery and radio, etc. are all working hard. I know on my NS4G when I kick in Wimax right away the phone warms up, probably main reason being the battery is on a heavier discharge rate so its causing added heat.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well considering it just went live, I'm sure there will be tweaks to the system as it starts to load up. Sure they can test and try to predict things but until it really does start to load up with more and more users they can't see the real affect.

LTE, no matter what carrier your on is going to suck down the battery... Get a weaker or losing signal while on LTE is gonna hit the battery extra hard fighting to maintain that LTE signal.

In the end this will probably add up to give you the added heat coming from your device as the battery and radio, etc. are all working hard. I know on my NS4G when I kick in Wimax right away the phone warms up, probably main reason being the battery is on a heavier discharge rate so its causing added heat.

No I meant Sprints regular voice and 3g data technology drains down the battery. And for some reason I think that LTE is better on battery life because with the ATT version the battery life was insane

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
There is probably a rogue app constantly running. Check your running services and then kill all that you don't need or use. Also you can remove the batt and replace which might kill the process running. Try that out for a day and if it still occurs, take the phone back and exchange it.

It's also a given' and proven fact that most GSM phones whether running 4G/LTE or not get better batt life.

willybeen

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that was only on GSM phones.. ie, tmobile/att...

Can anybody else confirm this? I have not been able to do both at the same time.

stockkid07

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's true. I know the galaxy s3 and the evo lte can do it for sure. Idk about any other phones sprint has. But I know in those two I have personally done it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude any sprint lte phone can talk and surf on 3g viper nexus evo and sg3 can all do it hell even my ns4g can do it on wimax

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There is probably a rogue app constantly running. Check your running services and then kill all that you don't need or use. Also you can remove the batt and replace which might kill the process running. Try that out for a day and if it still occurs, take the phone back and exchange it.

It's also a given' and proven fact that most GSM phones whether running 4G/LTE or not get better batt life.

Wasn't an application at all..It was the weak voice signal..Im currently at a location that gets 96db signal and the battery drained 20 percent in 45 minutes.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Sprints 4g wimax phones can do it too

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Not on 3G they can't. Only the EVO LTE and Galaxy S3 can do it on 3G right now. From what I understand you also have to have a pretty good signal and be connected to a Vision tower.