Galaxy S3: deleting a home screen - touchwiz crashes

Oliver Saunders

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: deleting a home screen - touchwiz crashes

Turning off developer options is the way forward on this one

Clearing settings on touchwiz wont work. At the risk of siding with mr qureshi... This advice was based upon no experience of the issue from the user giving it and with no warning of the possibility your settings would be cleared...

If hes having the same issue as the OP why would he ask the same question again?

Anyway... Disable developer options in settings thanks bigbad

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Turning off developer options is the way forward on this one

Clearing settings on touchwiz wont work. At the risk of siding with mr qureshi... This advice was based upon no experience of the issue from the user giving it and with no warning of the possibility your settings would be cleared...

If hes having the same issue as the OP why would he ask the same question again?

Anyway... Disable developer options in settings thanks bigbad

If he were having the same problem as the OP, why would he skip to the very bottom of the thread and try the last piece of advice given, instead of trying what multiple other posters suggested, which is to turn off developer options?

thomas91169

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I just had this issue with mine as well.

Tried adjusting the animations, no help. Tried disabling dev options, that did not help either, kept crashing touchwiz.

Figured out if I selected a screen as the home page, then dragged it to the trash, that it would let me delete that empty screen, and would then re-assign any other random screen as home screen. Repeated until all empty screens were gone and I had only the screens left I wished to keep.

Just another tip if the dev options and animation settings does not solve your issue.

Coryha

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

What did work
Pinch the screen to show all screens and dragging them to the trash

What did not work
Turning off delvoper options
Changing animation scales 0-10
clearing cache and setting from touchwiz (this deleted all my icons and widgets)
Disabling touchwiz
Soft reset

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Dear Mr. Advisor,

It cleared the date in TouchWiz Home, all my settings for home screen were lost, THANKS to you. Samsung SUCKS in this matter, they don't have a system (at least I couldn't find one) to get feedback from end-users!!!!

Thanks anyway &
Regards,

If it really is that bad...and it may be...how about downloading another launcher? I would suggest Nova Launcher. I use that on 2 of my three Samsung devices. I like it better than TouchWiz anyway.

Anyone reading this post wondering why not the 3rd device? I like the weather widget that comes stock with my Sprint phones, and it doesn't load when using Nova. :(

mohamad dokhey

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Guys its simple what you have to do is download the nova launcher from the market go to the homescreen set to use it for only this time and then switch back to the touchwiz it should work after that i dont why or how but it does

XYFINX

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Turning off the "Developer Options" I could remove the empty pages, without any problems. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

XYFINX

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Seriously? You come in here, don't ask a question, and follow the advice given to someone else, and then complain? Did you try any of the other options first? The advice you're referring to was given to someone who had tried the other options and found they didn't work. And I'm not sure who you think is "Mr. Advisor." Everyone here is just a Samsung user, trying to help other users. There are no official support people here.

As for providing feedback to Samsung, they have a Facebook page that they monitor and respond to questions on, and a tech support option on their web site (the US one, at least).

Finally, so your settings were lost. If it resolved the problem you were having (which you haven't yet described) it's hardly the end of the world, you can rebuilt the screens in probably 15 minutes.

It is the ignorance, self pity and self righteousness that makes "some" people to become suicide bombers!

t8488

May 10, 2013
Visit site

"Figured out if I selected a screen as the home page, then dragged it to the trash, that it would let me delete that empty screen, and would then re-assign any other random screen as home screen. Repeated until all empty screens were gone and I had only the screens left I wished to keep." - thomas91169

This worked for me, that s**t was making me crazy and slowing down my phone. Thank You :)

Adam ThreeSixty

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to say quickly, I was going nuts trying to figure this problem out, turning off dev settings worked fine :)

Thanx for the heads up.

ramysaadm

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Disable the developers options--all together-- worked for me THANKS

- - - Updated - - -

Disable the developers options--all together-- worked for me THANKS

alan0226

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

I had the same thing a while back. I can't remember what application it was but anyway I went in and disabled alot of stock apps in my phone (well almost all of the applications that had the disable option in the application manager). Well needless to say, one of the applications i disabled was causing this to happen every time I went to delete one of my blank home screens! It was a pain, and took me forever to figure out what was going on! I am sorry that I could not give u the exact application that caused this for me, but at least I can point u in the right direction!

VuTabs

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

Try to change all the animation setting, then place just one empty hone screen beside a not-empty ones near the trash bin. Now try to fling the empty home screen toward the trash bin! It was exactly the way I have done it. Before figured that o, I must experience crash constantly as well. Hope it helps.
(Galaxy Tab 2.0 JB 4.1.3)

TxabNeeg GinaLee

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Did you ever find a solution? I just got my update today on my Sprint Galaxy Note 2 and my home screen keeps crashing.. saying "Unfortunately, TouchWiz home has stopped." :(