4.1.2 On GS3 On Sprint

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I got 4.1.2 the other day and I haven't noticed anything improved. Several things I don't like, however:

• Bezel zooming is gone (why not make it optional?)
  • Scrolling around is now fixed up-down/left-right, no longer free-scrolling all over the screen.
  • ^---These two basically make it impossible to browse the web holding the phone in one hand.
  • Stock email app (not gmail) keeps displaying deleted email. The email is still on the server, but I've deleted it on my phone. Now there are up to 100 new emails showing every time the email refreshes. They disappear sometimes...but always come back.
  • Not entirely sure yet, but battery life seems to have suffered. Especially when signal strength is poor. I was a in bar with a crappy signal for all of 2 1/2 hours and had to put the phone in airplane mode because it was hot to the touch and had sucked more than half of the battery.

There seem to be a fair number of people unhappy with the loss of bezel zoom (but a lot more who hated it). I've switched to Chrome, but agree it would make sense to have made it user configurable.

I haven't seen the email issue. As a first step, you might want to try deleting the account from your phone, and recreating it.

Battery: did you get updated to MA6, or MB1? A few people have reported battery and overheating issues with MA6, and MB1 was supposed to fix that. Most (at least on the forums) haven't noticed a change in battery life. If it continues to be a problem, the standard advice when an OTA update causes problems is, unfortunately, to do a factory reset.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
No update here. In fact, I called Sprint and (maybe I got the dumbest rep) was told that they don't know of any updates after the 4.1.1 / LJ7. All I was told of the SmartSuite update is that Sprint is in talks with Samsung because of some "problems".

None here either. What's the timeline for everyone to have this? Seems like it's been out for weeks now...time enough for 100%, I'd've thought.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't care for this update. It doesn't have SmartSuite, and it seems to bring more problems than fixes...and my phone is running fine without it.

mcaples

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
No problem with my S3 after the update...I HATED the bezel zoom...being difabled (differently abled) I only got one GOOD hand and have NO problem typing or ANYTHING on my phone(s) (10 years now)...with ONE hand...and get a little CHUCKLE when I read about folks complaining...sorry...not laughing AT you; just NEAR you

saleen2002

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
are there any issues or bugs with this update ? i have not received it yet but wanted to know. i have read alittle about it here and on the sprint forum. thanks

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
are there any issues or bugs with this update ? i have not received it yet but wanted to know. i have read alittle about it here and on the sprint forum. thanks

I just got my GS3 last week, it did the updates to 4.1.2 a few days later, but I haven't had any problems. Battery life wasn't that good at first, but that may have been because I was using it constantly. Now I'm getting about 16 hours of on and off use before it gets to about 28%.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Some apparently reported overheating problems with MA6. MB1 is thought to fix that. I had no problems with either.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I just got my update this morning - it was 157mb - after updated I was expecting to see MA6 and then get a smaller update to MB1 like some of the others here - but for me, after my update it was MB1 - Cool! - Just a single update patch!

Completely stock except for my non-root camera shutter sound toggle on a completely stock Sprint GS3 - I thought it would have messed up my non-root shutter toggle and camera while on phone tweak, but everything was left untouched! Yea!!!

So far so good with no overheating or weird quirks so far, but it has only been a few hours since the update - I hope it doesn't hurt my battery life as some have experienced, as I was having good battery before and quite honestly everything was perfect before my update - so I am crossing my fingers that all stays the same - the only change I have seen so far and a welcome one to me is, when I open a folder to use a app, when I get out of the app, my folder used to stay opened, now when I get out of the app the folder is closed which is the way all my other devices do, so that was a nice fix - bezel scrolling seems to be gone, I will miss that, although it seems that others here do not like it - maybe that should have been a optional check box for those that do like it - oh well, so far so good!

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got my update this morning - it was 157mb - after updated I was expecting to see MA6 and then get a smaller update to MB1 like some of the others here - but for me, after my update it was MB1 - Cool! - Just a single update patch!

Completely stock except for my non-root camera shutter sound toggle on a completely stock Sprint GS3 - I thought it would have messed up my non-root shutter toggle and camera while on phone tweak, but everything was left untouched! Yea!!!

So far so good with no overheating or weird quirks so far, but it has only been a few hours since the update - I hope it doesn't hurt my battery life as some have experienced, as I was having good battery before and quite honestly everything was perfect before my update - so I am crossing my fingers that all stays the same - the only change I have seen so far and a welcome one to me is, when I open a folder to use a app, when I get out of the app, my folder used to stay opened, now when I get out of the app the folder is closed which is the way all my other devices do, so that was a nice fix - bezel scrolling seems to be gone, I will miss that, although it seems that others here do not like it - maybe that should have been a optional check box for those that do like it - oh well, so far so good!

ok, so I did a search and this thread was the only one that came up, so how did you do the non-root camera shutter sound toggle?
Thanks,

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
ok, so I did a search and this thread was the only one that came up, so how did you do the non-root camera shutter sound toggle?
Thanks,

It is over on XDA, I don't have a link for it, but if I find, I will post. I found the best is to search Google, but when searching Google, put the letters XDA and then your question. Sometimes searching in XDA doesn't work that well.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk HD

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Search in Google using this phrase without quotes "XDA billard412 camera shutter toggle non root"

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk HD

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
820mb file just to turn off the shutter sound?!? I can live with the shutter sound.

I don't see a problem with that - it is just a "big instruction set" that will allow you to change a "false" into a "true" statement in two different lines of the feature.xml file - it doesn't add or take away any memory to your device - it also doesn't require root to do it which is a procedure in itself if you later need to un-root, or buy "triangle away" to not up your counter.

With that being said I have nothing against rooting a phone. I am planning to do so myself after the S4 comes out. The only problem I see is you either might not have enough temporary space on your computer to download a file of that size and or you don't have a fast internet connection to download a file that size. As once you download the 820mb compressed file and expanded it to it's run size of 1.4gb :D, after you run it and allow to do its thing, you can erase that downloaded file.

Instruction below by billard412 for the person a few posts up "HamRadioNut" I was giving my information too:

xda-developers - View Single Post - shutter sound?

"Download the file linked on xda. Its a exe file in a 7z archive so extract it. Go to where you extracted it. Put phone in download mode (vol-dn+home+pwr) plug your phone into your PC - before you click the Start button at the bottom of the Odin Screen, make sure that there is a Yellow com port on with some number after it, this will tell you if you are connected, if not, simply unplug USB cable and re-plug in. Now you can run the Odin one click exe file which is the file you extracted, in this case the file is "system-with-cam-toggle.exe". Go chill for 10-15 mins and come back to the same phone with the addition of a camera sound toggle. When it is done, the phone will automatically reboot itself. Unplug USB cable and you are good to go."

Last edited by billard412; 12-08-2012 at 04:07 AM. --> and re-edited by mouseglider for easier reading and spelling corrections of billard412's instructions as I was doing the tweak, stated here in case somebody gets fussy because the "exact wording" in the instructions have changed a little.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You still enjoying it mouse? I have it now. Everything seems good... Running nice and smooth :cool:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch