Do I have to do a manual update, then root? Or root, then update?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone is still telling me it's up to date on GRJ22, the prompt never showed up. I don't know if it's because I'm in a roaming zone or not. But I am finally learning how to root and I want to go on ahead and do so.

But do I need to wait for the update first or do it manually? Or should I just remain as is and enjoy the free tether?

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do I have to do a manual update, then root? Or root, then upd

if youre phone is completely stock, (system,recovery,kernel,boot....etc) u can update manually using the stock recovery....then root

Nick1472

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Miz,

I was in the exact same boat as you yesterday, and I did the update first, followed by rooting. You can do it in one step, but a lot of the rooted images do not contain the radio update, so you would have to flash it separately. I found this to be easiest, here is what I did:

First, I updated to 2.3.5 manually using the instructions in this post, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...inks-first-post-page-72-a-73.html#post1129809. Then, I rebooted, made sure I had the new radio/rom and everything looked good. On to rooting...

I followed this guide at xda: [NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers. You could also use the one click root by ShabbyPenguin (It is pinned in the ROM sub-forum) or any other rooting method. Warning, doing the 'fastboot oem unlock' command in any of the rooting guides will do a factory reset to your phone including your sdcard/internal storage, so backup everything first!

Then restore/setup your phone again, and install wireless tether :p

Let us know if you have any questions,
Nick

Last edited:

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I followed this guide at xda: [NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers. You could also use the one click root by ShabbyPenguin (It is sticking the ROM sub-forum) or any other rooting method.

Nick,

I'm the same as you, I did the update manually and am going to root today or tomorrow. I was going to use Shabby's 1-Click but I was also looking at at Bugless Pete's method too. One thing that I don't get about BP's method is why you need to download the ROMs and radios. Aren't they already on there?

I will also need to back the SD card since it will get wiped. Any other last minute tips? Was it easy?

TIA.

Ed

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Nick,

I'm the same as you, I did the update manually and am going to root today or tomorrow. I was going to use Shabby's 1-Click but I was also looking at at Bugless Pete's method too. One thing that I don't get about BP's method is why you need to download the ROMs and radios. Aren't they already on there?

I will also need to back the SD card since it will get wiped. Any other last minute tips? Was it easy?

TIA.

Ed

Pete leaves the option of what radio to flash up to the user....This is cool since alot of people are complaining about the new radio/update and built-in tethering being broken
I also updated this way.....it was painless. I actually have installed the update 3 times.......The way you and Nick did, as well as using the stock recovery to update.

Reactions: esoh

Nick1472

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Ed,

The only ROM I had to download for BPs was the 'GRJ90 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed)'. If you go straight from GRJ22, it will not flash the radio, so you would have do that manually, which is why he has it posted. I also had to download clockwork recovery of course.

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong), the difference and reason you need to download the ROM with BPs is his is a pre-made image/rom from the stock ROM with the superuser package already installed. The one click install is installing the superuser package (su.zip) on your existing ROM.

Both unlock the bootloader, install clockwork recovery, move files the sdcard and install them from there. It is essentially the same process.

Nick

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

the one click just installs root busybox and cwm, the grj90 rom that i threw up is deodex'd, petes is odex'd so if your on grj22 stock then you have a choice to go with either. deodexing speeds the phone up slightly and allows for themeing

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

if you want the full update w/o root download from this link.
http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip -GRJ90 UPDATE WITH RADIO directly from google.

If you are not rooted and completely stock you can use the "stock recovery".
This works if u are coming from GRJ22

1)Download.....2)rename to update.zip(leave the .zip out. just name it update)....3)move renamed file to sd card.......4) boot into bootloader (power off then hold volume up and power...5) Select Recovery option.(you will see triangle and android guy....normal).....6)hold down power and tap, not hold, volume up key...this opens stock recovery.7)select apply update, reboot, enjoy.... and you're finished.

I'ts easier than it appears, If you want a pure untouched update as if you received the OTA update OTA use this method. Then Root by any method you prefer.:D:D

Last edited:

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

the one click just installs root busybox and cwm, the grj90 rom that i threw up is deodex'd, petes is odex'd so if your on grj22 stock then you have a choice to go with either. deodexing speeds the phone up slightly and allows for themeing
OK, I think I'll go with the 1 Click. Again, sorry for the noob question, but can you help me with following?

I know that unlocking deletes SD card (or storage) on phone, so I will back that up. Since all apps that you don't move to SD are in app ram, all apps post root/unlocking should be there. I'm using AppBrain, so I'm assuming whatever isn't on phone I can just redownload. As for things like email, etc., should I recopy the SD card contents from my backup to the card directly after the rooting and have the programs find that stuff again? Is it pretty seamless or do you have a method that you find works best.

Thanks again.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

doing the 'fastboot oem unlock' command in any of the rooting guides will do a factory reset to your phone including your sdcard/internal storage, so backup everything first!

Then restore/setup your phone again, and install wireless tether :p

Let us know if you have any questions,
Nick

Thanks. Can you also post your exact steps/apps for backing up and restoring?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

sweet, thanks for all the advice. But someone mentioned backup. How would i back up my entire phone without root? I got a few games and emulators that i want to keep.

Nick1472

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Can you also post your exact steps/apps for backing up and restoring?

sweet, thanks for all the advice. But someone mentioned backup. How would i back up my entire phone without root? I got a few games and emulators that i want to keep.

Well, I found it isn't an exact step by step way to backup everything unfortunately. You need root access to backup application data, so that can be problematic until you root. It kinda depends on your exact setup as to what you need to do to backup, but can let you know what I did and give you some tips.

Google saves all of your contacts, calendar events and books in the cloud, so make sure you are syncing those in your settings->accounts & sync and they will be restored automatically

I used Mybackup Pro ($5 in the market), it can save sms, mms, bookmarks, settings, call history, apks that you didn't get through the market and a few other things.

Doing those two things covers most of the data except application data, which is application dependent. A lot of apps have there own backup method which save to the sdcard or use google's backup to cloud helpers, some don't. For example, I use ADW Launcher, BeyondPod and GoSMS, which all were able to backup their settings, themes, etc.. to the sdcard. Before you reset, mount your phone over USB, copying the files off, then copy them backup after, reinstall the app and use their restore function. Back in business.

There are other apps with didn't have backup abilities, one of mine was Plants vs Zombies (Not a big game player, but would guess others are the same way). I finally decided to just say screw it and lose my game saves :( Once you root, MyBackup and Titanium backup can save application data, but it's a chicken/egg problem as far as I know.

Last, music, pictures, downloads, and videos are all stored on your sdcard, so mounting that as USB and copying your data will back all of that up, just copy it back after rooting.

Let me know if you have any questions about specific apps or the location of specific things on the sdcard, I can try to help. Others my have better ways to do app data that I didn't find...

Nick

Reactions: Linkchomp and esoh

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Well, I found it isn't an exact step by step way to backup everything unfortunately. You need root access to backup application data, so that can be problematic until you root. It kinda depends on your exact setup as to what you need to do to backup, but can let you know what I did and give you some tips.

Thanks man, this is REALLY helpful. Since I'm a rooting newbie, I wasn't sure what got backed up and not and this helps out a bunch.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to update manually, and then root. I know Google saves my texts and contacts, it's just trying to save a few of my "important" apps like my emulators that I got off Getjar.

But I'll find someway to work around.

Wish there was a feature in Android that didn't require root.

And this is probably a silly question, but is Cyanogenmod supposed to be a rom or a mod?

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I used Mybackup Pro ($5 in the market), it can save sms, mms, bookmarks, settings, call history, apks that you didn't get through the market and a few other things.

To Miz,

For what it's worth, there is a free trial to My Backup Pro (link below) for 30 days that should give you the time to do your backups, root, and then restore what you want. My understanding is that prior to root, you can backup a lot of your stuff, but not all of it given the fact that you aren't rooted. Then following root, you can install Titanium ($7) and have max backup capabilities. This is one way around the chicken/egg problem that Nick poses. That's the route I'm going to go when I root, which is probably today.

http://www.androidcentral.com/win-one-10-mybackup-pro-licenses

On the link, click to the bottom.

Ed

Nick1472

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks man, this is REALLY helpful. Since I'm a rooting newbie, I wasn't sure what got backed up and not and this helps out a bunch.

No problem, glad it helped. It's all pretty fresh in my mind from doing it earlier this week.

I'm going to update manually, and then root. I know Google saves my texts and contacts, it's just trying to save a few of my "important" apps like my emulators that I got off Getjar.

And this is probably a silly question, but is Cyanogenmod supposed to be a rom or a mod?

Never used getjar, but if the emulators are apks, then My Backup Pro or astro (free) can back them up to the sdcard.

CyanogenMod is a ROM.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

So the Titanium Backup, is it better than myBackup Pro? What about the free version of Titanium Backup?

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

So the Titanium Backup, is it better than myBackup Pro? What about the free version of Titanium Backup?
Everyone who uses Titanium loves it, I have to think it's the best out there. The only issue is that you have to root before installing it, and when you unlock bootloader during root, you lose SD card. Hence the chicken and egg problem described by Nick.

MBP does not need root, but it also doesn't backup everything.

I still haven't had chance to root yet, but this is what I was planning on doing:

1. Backup using free 30 day trial of MBP
2. Unlock and root
3. Reinstall stuff
4. Install Titanium for backups

Also, since I have heard nothing but good things about Titanium, I was planning on paying for it. Like I said, I haven't heard a single bad thing about it.

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Does Shabby Penguin's one click root do a memory wipe?

I used it before, and have been very happy. But now I want to install the update, and it sounds like I have to re-root, but I don't want to lose everything.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Does Shabby Penguin's one click root do a memory wipe?

I used it before, and have been very happy. But now I want to install the update, and it sounds like I have to re-root, but I don't want to lose everything.
Just reflash ClockWorkMod and reflash Superuser, and in the future, if you're rooted, don't accept OTA updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo