[How-To] Get Hulu, HBO go, etc to show in market on 2.3.5

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Google has given developers the ability to support only specific versions of Android and specific devices and specific ..... yadda yadda you get the point. The problem with that is if the developer is limiting apps from displaying in the market based on this information, and your phone receives an OTA update, until the developer updates the app permissions it won't show in the market for you. Some recent examples that are impacted by this are HBO GO, Destroy gunners, and Hulu plus. There are others but that's some big names that have been popping up on peoples radar. Some people have suggested getting the apk from an unofficial source and installing and to those people i say Study shows that 'mobile threat activity' has risen significantly in past 6 months. Put away the tin foil hats i'm not saying something bad will happen I'm saying you would have a higher risk. Additionally installing apk's like that doesn't account for updated version which the market notifies you of.

One of the benefits of having a rooted device is you have the ability to modify system level files. The modification documented below can be used to fool the market into thinking you're still on version GRJ22 2.3.4 and just like magic the apps you've been missing will show back up in the market. You will need to edit the build description and build fingerprint of the device.

1) You need to edit the /system/build.prop which means you'll need to obtain said file. You can get it using adb pull or root explorer. If you use root explorer, you can actually edit the file right in /system without moving it.
2) Find these 2 lines:
ro.build.description=
ro.build.fingerprint=
3) Edit above mentioned lines to look like this:
ro.build.description=sojus-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/sojus/crespo4g:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys
4) ADB push, make a flashable zip, or if using root explorer, save and exit.
5) Reboot the phone. After editing the build.prop it's a good idea to reboot.

All the apps you were missing should now show up fine. I recommend saving a copy of the unedited build.prop just as a precaution. Additionally make a nand backup before jumping in, that way if you find yourself in over your head you can always go back. Enjoy and don't forget to notify the application provider their app is being excluded for 2.3.5 devices.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Question. Will this do any harm down the road say when another update comes rolling out? I know you are only adjusting the descirption but I just want to make sure. I guess I can always go back in after I download the said app and just wait for an update to show up. Then switch back the description.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Question. Will this do any harm down the road say when another update comes rolling out? I know you are only adjusting the descirption but I just want to make sure. I guess I can always go back in after I download the said app and just wait for an update to show up. Then switch back the description.

Nope, you'll be fine with future OTAs. You're phone will be on the most recent build and it still knows it. After making this change you can go into Menu>Settings>about phone - android version and build number are still showing you on GRJ90 2.3.5.

As you suggested you could change it, download the app, change it back if you want but you wouldn't see those apps in the market after changing back and if the app was updated you wouldn't get that. Honestly that's more work than what I'm interested in :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87