Just rooted my NS4G with the one click method....

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Im new to this and I justed rooted my phone with the one click method and it installed clockworkmod along with an app called superuser.

So now how do I get free wifi tethering to work with my TouchPad and laptop? Do I have to download an app via the usb cable to my laptop or the Market?

Also how would I install ROMS and or do some over clocking? Do I use CWM?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
You can install rom manager to install roms. You can install wireless tether, but I recommend installing a custom kernel like matrix. That will allow you to use the stock tether built into Android. Matrix kernel 8.5 works great with the stock rom. A custom kernel would allow overclocking also.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

justmerob

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Agreed Rom Manager to do roms and most have over clocking in them. Welcome to your new addiction....lol
Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys I'd rather use the built in tethering that came with the phone and how do I install Rom Manager, the market? And do I download the kernel from the Rom manager?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys I'd rather use the built in tethering that came with the phone and how do I install Rom Manager, the market? And do I download the kernel from the Rom manager?

You have to download the kernel seperately, it will be a zip file that you cab find through some of the threads here on the forums. After downloading the zip, rom manager will ask to open it, remember to backup your current rom when installing (it will offer that when it opens the zip) and to wipe dalvik, but not data. Just check off wipe dalvik and backup.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I despise ROM manager. If I may make a suggestion:

1- Do not use ROM manager. Judging by your use of one click root (don't throw tomatoes) you'll probably end up using; or, should be using ROM Manager, I guess.

2- If your not going to use ROM Manager. Learn how to root without using One Click Root. This way you know how everything works and what exactly is going on.

3- Look around here or XDA for roms and kernels. Then download them.

4- Install them manually through clockwork. Even if you used one click root this is still simple to do once you learn. ALWAYS make backups before doing anything. AND! Always, for any phone, make a backup of your original stock rooted rom and keep it on your phone and backed up to a computer, untouched. Never update it. Your fail safe. Return to Zero.

I mainly say learn how to do everything without one click root and rom manager so that you can install new recoveries as they come out; since, the only other way is rom manager or manually. It's very simple once you learn.

:)

Reactions: krisnicaj

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I attempted to DL and install a ROM using the QR code here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1070383 after the install and reboot nothing looks like it changed. Now I'm thinking about just installing the cyanogenmod Rom. Can I just install it over the other rom or do I have to uninstall the first Rom first....

This is getting addicting....

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I attempted to DL and install a ROM using the QR code here [ROM] *Updated* 6/27/11 - xda-developers after the install and reboot nothing looks like it changed. Now I'm thinking about just installing the cyanogenmod Rom. Can I just install it over the other rom or do I have to uninstall the first Rom first....

This is getting addicting....

What rom did you install? Some of them don't look like they changed anything. It's all performance and weight reduction really. Cm7 and MIUI are the biggest game changers.

No, don't flash over. Wipe Data, Cache, and Dalvik. Then install new rom. If your going to get cm7 grab gapps (do a google search it's the first one). And grab the cm7 one at top and install new talk one in the list if you want google talk with video chat.

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the advise... usually I learn by screwing things up and then learning how to fix them when it comes to things like this

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the advise... usually I learn by screwing things up and then learning how to fix them when it comes to things like this

It's real simple. If you know your way around a computer and command line it's cake. Real quick though to root all you would do is:

Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer. Download the recovery.img to your computer. Download su to your phone. Run fastboot app in command line. Unlock bootloader. Use fastboot again to flash the recovery. Go to clockwork flash su and your done.

Then you would make your backup with clockwork and install roms through clock work like I said above. Cake. :)

(Actually, you don't even need ADB, lol.)

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Haha thank god for cwm I tried installing cm7 and failed so I had to manually restore it the room. It would get stuck on the start up screen with the android skateboarder. I don't know what I did wrong.

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
So if I just DL the matr1x kernel I can use the wireless tethering that came built in the phone? That's pretty much the main reason of me doing the rooting in the first place.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the not using rom manager its a great idea but has never worked well for me installing however I do use it for downloading things and then using clockwork to install them I have bricked my xoom a couple times same with my epic and nexus s4g and used ADB and fastboot to get me back at first its an oh panic then u read the recovery instructions and its rather rewarding to fix a brick ;)

I despise ROM manager. If I may make a suggestion:

1- Do not use ROM manager. Judging by your use of one click root (don't throw tomatoes) you'll probably end up using; or, should be using ROM Manager, I guess.

2- If your not going to use ROM Manager. Learn how to root without using One Click Root. This way you know how everything works and what exactly is going on.

3- Look around here or XDA for roms and kernels. Then download them.

4- Install them manually through clockwork. Even if you used one click root this is still simple to do once you learn. ALWAYS make backups before doing anything. AND! Always, for any phone, make a backup of your original stock rooted rom and keep it on your phone and backed up to a computer, untouched. Never update it. Your fail safe. Return to Zero.

I mainly say learn how to do everything without one click root and rom manager so that you can install new recoveries as they come out; since, the only other way is rom manager or manually. It's very simple once you learn.

:)