Keep my EVO 3D or switch to Nexus S 4G

Keep EVO 3D or Switch to Nexus S

• Total voters

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well to be fair, as Sense becomes more and more complicated it seems that HTC cannot update as quickly as perhaps they might have - flagship status or not - even now, they are running an older OS (2.3.3) than the Nexus S 4g (2.3.4), so HTC owners may have to wait not only for ICS to come out, but then for HTC to update. It is interesting that HTC's tablet is still not running Honeycomb, which has been out for a while already.

Samsung and the Nexus S 4G almost made me a switcher (I'm currently carrying a EVO3D, but have been starting to look over at the Nexus seriously). I'm waiting for the Samsung/Sprint update that's supposed to address WiFi and WiMax issues, and who knows what else. Given the recent "delay" of the Samsung update that was supposed to happen yesterday, I can't help but edge away from switching again. Trouble updating vanilla Android? My (already shaky) confidence in Samsung's ability to update their phones in a timely/reliable manner is waning. I hope I'm wrong, and the update pushes later this week with resounding success. Of course, that will make my decision even harder.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung and the Nexus S 4G almost made me a switcher (I'm currently carrying a EVO3D, but have been starting to look over at the Nexus seriously). I'm waiting for the Samsung/Sprint update that's supposed to address WiFi and WiMax issues, and who knows what else. Given the recent "delay" of the Samsung update that was supposed to happen yesterday, I can't help but edge away from switching again. Trouble updating vanilla Android? My (already shaky) confidence in Samsung's ability to update their phones in a timely/reliable manner is waning. I hope I'm wrong, and the update pushes later this week with resounding success. Of course, that will make my decision even harder.

I can't speak to 4g issues, but I can on wifi and other signal strength. I believe there is just a very small, although vocal on the forums, group that is having this problem. I have absolutely no signal issues, and neither do quite a few others. I actually get slightly better reception on all radios than I did with my EVO. Don't let the vocal minority sway you.

Also, how can an update be delayed if it was never officially publicly acknowledged as having a release date?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to 4g issues, but I can on wifi and other signal strength. I believe there is just a very small, although vocal on the forums, group that is having this problem. I have absolutely no signal issues, and neither do quite a few others. I actually get slightly better reception on all radios than I did with my EVO. Don't let the vocal minority sway you.

Also, how can an update be delayed if it was never officially publicly acknowledged as having a release date?

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus...-delayed-samsung-transform-ef09-update-pulled

This seems to indicate that the update was indeed planned and then pulled/delayed.

You may be right that it was a "vocal minority", you may not. The fact remains that there appears to have been enough of a problem that a fix is in the works. That makes the problem legitimate and confirmed/recognized to me.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus...-delayed-samsung-transform-ef09-update-pulled

This seems to indicate that the update was indeed planned and then pulled/delayed.

You may be right that it was a "vocal minority", you may not. The fact remains that there appears to have been enough of a problem that a fix is in the works. That makes the problem legitimate and confirmed/recognized to me.

Oh, there is an update coming, but the problem with reception occurs on many devices. There are a few threads in the 3d forums complaining about the same problem. If you just look at the forums, then it seems pretty widespread on that device too. A bunch of the posts in the thread in the NS4G section are from people saying they have no problem. The fact of the matter is there are variables in hardware. Some have problems, some don't. The issue is not near as widespread as forums lead you to believe.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, there is an update coming, but the problem with reception occurs on many devices. There are a few threads in the 3d forums complaining about the same problem. If you just look at the forums, then it seems pretty widespread on that device too. A bunch of the posts in the thread in the NS4G section are from people saying they have no problem. The fact of the matter is there are variables in hardware. Some have problems, some don't. The issue is not near as widespread as forums lead you to believe.

If there is an update to fix something, on any phone, it has to be common enough to warrant the time and money to for them to spend on the update.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
If there is an update to fix something, on any phone, it has to be common enough to warrant the time and money to for them to spend on the update.

I understand that. That is kinda my point. There are issues with some batches of every device. There are also plenty out there with no issues. They push updates for everything. The 3d has had one or two already I believe with more on the way.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

The problems are certainly not universal. For every person complaining about signal strength on the NS4G, you'll find someone saying they have no problems at all. However, the problem is certainly recognized enough that a fix is in the works, and numerous reviews of the phone on release noted the odd discrepancy between the connection on their review unit NS4G versus whatever Sprint phone they had laying around (AC's own review, for example).

On a personal note, I've noticed that the NS4G demo phone at my local favorite Sprint store displays only one bar of signal (when every other phone is at full bars) and lesser 4G signal strength than the Evo, 3vo, and Epic right next to it. I am sorely tempted to switch to the NS4G, but until I see evidence that these problems are at least partially relieved (which hopefully will happen soon!) I'll stick with my Evo.

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I will stick with the NS4G even though it has its hiccups and quirks. Wife has the Evo 3D and while the Eye Candy looks nice and it is fairly fast its till a major resource hog.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I would also like to know this. I think it depends on the 3D getting Ice Cream Sandwich.

I don't know much about android (Don't have an android phone, yet :p.) but from what I've read, it's not multithreaded right now.

If this is true, the 3D will be amazing with Ice Cream Sandwich, because it's supposed to support multithreading, right?

Android absolutely supports multithreading. This is a basic function of the Linux foundation Android is built on. That said, most Aps are single threaded but some spawn additional threads as needed. Anytime all of the available threads are not in use the processor core(s) can run at lower speeds/voltage thus saving power.

Android also supports Dual-Core processors as part of the Linux base functionality as well by using SMP or Symmetric Multiprocessing. So current versions of Android can take advantage of the additional cores RIGHT NOW.

That said, ICS is supposed to increase these capabilities not enable them. Exactly what will be added is not known by most people outside of Google. Most likely it will add improved Garbage Collection which will increase Memory performance.

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site

There's no doubt that there are some issues with the 3D as well. My concern is trading one set of (known) issues on my current phone for another set of unknown issues on a different phone. Particularly if one company (HTC) has a better track record for pushing fixes than another (Samsung). As you alluded to, HTC has had two immediate fixes for acknowledged issues within the first week of launch, and is looking at another update in late August/September (hopefully to address lockdown on phone as well as driver issues). That's a lot better (I believe) than Samsung's usual SOP on updates/fixes and better than their track record specifically on the NS4G.

I guess it boils down to trust. I don't know how far to trust HTC on the whole unlock issue (I'm sure they'll do something, but how it comes about is another issue). I don't know how far I trust Samsung on their hardware and their commitment to timely fixes and updates to those areas not controlled by Google.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you should get a second battery and a battery charger if you don't want to wait?

i have an endless amount of batteries, chargers and devices, so i know those can't be the issue.

i've asked this before and was told that it was common... on this board.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously considering going back to the NS4G which I had for a month before the Evo 3D came out. I really like the 3D but it's not blowing my socks off like I had hoped it would. The NS4G is just compelling because of the potential to be up to date with all the latest offerings from Google. I also like the form factor better. It's got a smaller screen but it makes for a sleeker more wieldy handset. I'm still on the fence....

evilhugbear

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering going back to the NS4G which I had for a month before the Evo 3D came out. I really like the 3D but it's not blowing my socks off like I had hoped it would. The NS4G is just compelling because of the potential to be up to date with all the latest offerings from Google. I also like the form factor better. It's got a smaller screen but it makes for a sleeker more wieldy handset. I'm still on the fence....

I don't know what to tell you, but the main reason I chose the Nexus, is because it doesn't have a skin on top.

Not having a skin, like Sense or Touchwiz, seems to make it run MUCH smoother.

Also, in my opinion, stock Android (2.3 atleast) is beautiful.

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site

It's funny, I stopped by Sprint yesterday to compare the two. The screens are not that different in size when held side by side. The 3D is longer, but it almost feels like wasted space.

I did get the feel that, at least in the browser, the 3D had a slight edge, something seemed more responsive in scrolling (I was using engadget's desktop site to compare scrolling through long fields of embedded content).

Still on the fence. But with the recent price drop, hmm...

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, anyone else considering the NS4G should note that Sprint dropped the price another $50 to only $100 w/ upgrade. This is the 2nd price reduction in less than a month...they must not be selling very well.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, anyone else considering the NS4G should note that Sprint dropped the price another $50 to only $100 w/ upgrade. This is the 2nd price reduction in less than a month...they must not be selling very well.

Of course they're not. They do no advertising for it at all. Too late now

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it has anything to do with the free wifi tether app? It?s got to burn sprints ass that its free on this phone.

Beats me, but I'm sure getting it a month and a half before the 3d had something to do with it to. All I know is I doubt I'll buy a non Nexus phone in the future, so I hope they sold enough to bring the next one.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
i have an endless amount of batteries, chargers and devices, so i know those can't be the issue.

i've asked this before and was told that it was common... on this board.

Yeah same here! I guess some have this issue and others do not. At least in my routine it just goes on the charger when i'm sleeping. So personally it's not a big deal to me. Even then from what info I have gathered, the slower charging is providing a more stable and accurate charge. At least in my testing with charging batteries on other kinds of devices. Slower charging ended up giving the battery longer life. In both life of the battery and life on use. Again my opinion is just based on my findings. I have felt that devices with slower charging always charged the batteries more thorough.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Given HTC's record with upgrading phones and the Evo 3D's flagship status, it's a near certainty that the 3D will get ICS not too long after it comes out (if ICS drops in November for example, I'd expect it to be on the 3D by February). The original EVO was bumped to Froyo from Eclair about six weeks after launch. Gingerbread took a lot longer (June) but it did get it. Also, if HTC holds to their promise to unlock the bootloader on the Evo 3D, you won't have to worry about updates if you're willing to root. Note that rooting is about as simple as can be on the NS4G, if that's of any interest to you, and the NS4G will get updates very quickly anyway since it's stock Google.

Actually it did take HTC awhile to upgrade the EVO 4G to Gingerbread "officially", not talking custom ROM's or anything, but the true Gingerbread download from Sprint/Google didn't come out until what June ? That is a year after the phone came out, and Gingerbread was released in December on the original Nexus-S. So don't be so sure the EVO-3D will get it in a month or two after the Nexus-4.0 Prime. But the Nexus-S for sure will :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty