Manually updated to 2.3.5, still get 2/4 bands for Wifi

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just did a manual update to 2.3.5. My router is in the next room, and I am getting 2/4 bands. When I am in the same room as my router, I still get 3 bands (sometimes I get a full four bands, but only in certain places)

Anyone else have the same problem?

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yes, however, I can also make it all the way out to my car and maintain 1 bar. I am more concerned about the still weak 3g signal (no 4g here). Not a lot of dropped calls but I get pushed to 1x a lot which really slows down the data.

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone on the 3rd, with 2.3.4 preinstalled and was never able to get wifi working. Then the 2.3.5 OTA update came, which I thought might fix the issue. It still did not. A few days ago, I decided to change my router's encryption method from WPA to WEP to see if it would make a difference. It did. I am now able to use wifi with this phone.

However, the wifi reception on the Nexus S 4G is really quite terrible. I literally have to sit within a 7-8 ft radius of the router to get a strong and stable signal. When I try to use it in my bedroom, which is probably 15-16 ft away, the signal drops down to 1 or 2 bar and would randomly just drop.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone on the 3rd, with 2.3.4 preinstalled and was never able to get wifi working. Then the 2.3.5 OTA update came, which I thought might fix the issue. It still did not. A few days ago, I decided to change my router's encryption method from WPA to WEP to see if it would make a difference. It did. I am now able to use wifi with this phone.

However, the wifi reception on the Nexus S 4G is really quite terrible. I literally have to sit within a 7-8 ft radius of the router to get a strong and stable signal. When I try to use it in my bedroom, which is probably 15-16 ft away, the signal drops down to 1 or 2 bar and would randomly just drop.
Sounds like you need to return the phone or call and get a free Airrave. I bought mine today and have full bars for Wifi on the 3.2.4 version. It will sometimes drop down to one less bar but that is it. My router is on WPA because WEP messes with my Macbook Pro for some reason. I really went back and forth before buying this phone because of all the conflicting posts - at this point I believe that there is a serious compatibility issue with the phone and certain hardware or there are crappy radios in some of these phones. It might be luck of the draw as to whether you get a faulty radio or not... just scatter shooting my guesses.

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need to return the phone or call and get a free Airrave. I bought mine today and have full bars for Wifi on the 3.2.4 version. It will sometimes drop down to one less bar but that is it. My router is on WPA because WEP messes with my Macbook Pro for some reason. I really went back and forth before buying this phone because of all the conflicting posts - at this point I believe that there is a serious compatibility issue with the phone and certain hardware or there are crappy radios in some of these phones. It might be luck of the draw as to whether you get a faulty radio or not... just scatter shooting my guesses.

Are you able to connect your phone to wifi via WPA at all? From what I've read, it seems like the NS4G has problem connecting to WEP and will only connect to WPA. But my experience so far has been the exact opposite so I don't know what to make of it. I would rather use WPA for my wireless encryption, but I just can't get the phone to connect when it's WPA.

I think I will try and take it back sometime next week and see if it's just this phone that's having issues. On an unrelated note... I've spent a considerable amount of time d/l and setting up the phone to almost the way I want it.. If I swap hardware, do I have to re-do everything?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
We got Appled on this phone. I noticed yesterday after having the OTA and; then, buying a really good router for the home the problem persists. I thought it was the garbage routers I was connecting to. Nope, it's the antenna.

3 rooms over 2 bars from the wifi. In the room with the Wifi and my Airave is still giving me full bars 3 rooms down the other way.

AND to top it off: I noticed when I hold the phone I lose a bar. When I put it down. It's back. APPLE!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
^^^I have noticed that when j hold the phone in the palm if my hand that I get full bars. But the moment I hold it like I'm going to make a call, a bar drops off.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
We got Appled on this phone. I noticed yesterday after having the OTA and; then, buying a really good router for the home the problem persists. I thought it was the garbage routers I was connecting to. Nope, it's the antenna.

3 rooms over 2 bars from the wifi. In the room with the Wifi and my Airave is still giving me full bars 3 rooms down the other way.

AND to top it off: I noticed when I hold the phone I lose a bar. When I put it down. It's back. APPLE!

What do you mean by Appled? Are you referring to that old death grip problem the iPhone 4 had?

My low wifi is the only thing that befuddles me. I understand why I have low signal, it is just how my apartment is. My mom's Instinct always had low signal here too.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by Appled? Are you referring to that old death grip problem the iPhone 4 had?

My low wifi is the only thing that befuddles me. I understand why I have low signal, it is just how my apartment is. My mom's Instinct always had low signal here too.

Yea, that's what I'm referring to here; for, the WiFi of this phone, however. Instead of the 3g.

I can make these observations based on different smart phones I've had in this home, in this room, on WiFi. (Minus the Nexus)

1) WiFi was ALWAYS decent
2) WiFi never lost connection

Now, as far as the Nexus goes: (On my old and new router in the same locations)

1) After the OTA WiFi seems to hold better
2) It could be the icon that leads to believe there were more bars with my other phones
3) WiFi STILL does drop off and disconnect from the router. Not as much though
4) When holding the phone: WiFi IS effected.