NxS4g or switch to Photon

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely still an issue with this phone and certain cell towers! I've had Sprint a long time now and I have 3 smart phones on my plan. My nexus and 4 others I know with nexuses all have slow data in some areas where other sprint smart phones are downloading much faster. At my house I'm about 300 yards from a sprint tower and have full signal yet downloads on the nexus are painfully slow. (30 to 100k) . That's on my phone and everyone I know who has a nexus s 4g. My wife's palm pre smokes the nexus at home. But if I go to work 30 miles away my nexus gets only 1 or 2 bars yet download speeds are 10x faster. I really dont understand it. I was in Dayton Ohio last week and had only 2 bars but was getting download speeds over 1m. Dont make since. My neighbor has a evo 4g and at are house his phone will blow the nexus away but if you leave are area the nexus is almost as fast. I talked to sprint and they say they dont know why this is. I have experienced this in several areas. Comparing my wife's pre to my nexus and my daughters blackberry.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
How are you making your comparisons and/or where are you getting your numbers from?

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Im running 2.3.5. No root. I've tested speeds with speekeasy, speedtest AP and good old fashion side by side YouTube download test. At my house YouTube is in watchable without wifi. Other phones are almost instant. If I go to work YouTube is OK with only 1 or 2 bars.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Remember this is not just my phone 4 other people I know have the exact same issues with the nexus. It got to be a compatibility issue with some sprint towers.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Remember this is not just my phone 4 other people I know have the exact same issues with the nexus. It got to be a compatibility issue with some sprint towers.

4 people in the general area of where you live? Friends of yours? Whats stopping you from rooting? My phone has seemed to "perform" much better....

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
4 people in the general area of where you live? Friends of yours? Whats stopping you from rooting? My phone has seemed to "perform" much better....
I tried out the Nexus S 4g for 28 days. I had a horrible experience. I used to have the Evo Shift 4g and I had pretty good signal almost everywhere. A horrible thing I experienced was utter embarrassment about an hour after I activated it: I was showing my cousin (who has an iPhone 4) the beautiful Super AMOLED screen and the swiftness with scrolling through the menus my phone crashed and restarted. That entire first day I crashed 6 times in a period of 8 hours. I went back to the Sprint store the next day and they swapped mine out with another one (the manager was really cool about it). Then I paired my Jawbone Icon to it again and it crashed, right there in the store in front of the manager. He said, "Whoa that's not supposed to happen. This is supposed to be the best phone for Android. What are you doing to the phone you must be doing something wrong..." I said, "You literally finished activating it about 2 minutes ago. I just logged onto my Google account and paired my bluetooth headset...that's it." So I just took the phone and thought ok so I just won't use my Jawbone I'll downgrade to the Plantronics Voyager that I have at home. I went home and paired my Plantronics Voyager and it didn't crash right away. It crashed about 4 hours later. During the entire time I had it, I'd have to restart every 2 hours or so because my voice dialing either wouldn't work or it would crash the phone. This was incredibly irritating because I receive a ton of calls per day at work and I needed my phone to be reliable. So I went out and bought a 3.5mm earpiece and mic. This seemed to solve the crashing problem. With regards to having horrible signal and slow wifi speeds I only experienced the horrible signal. On Wifi it was blazing fast. I had bad signal throughout my house. The only place I could use my phone was in my room by my window. I've never had that problem with any other Sprint phone in my house. My parents are on my plan as well. I bought my father a Palm Pre years ago and that phone is infamous for having a poor signal but he gets at least 2 bars throughout my house. After I got the update on my Nexus S 4g I was "thrilled" to finally have 1 bar of signal in my house.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes, 3 are friends and the other was my wife?s phone. She took hers back because she still likes the palm pre (I can?t explain it). The main reason I have not rooted was because I was waiting for Google to "make it right? I just don?t think Google can at this point. One of my neighbors has rooted his and we cannot tell much difference. I think it?s more a problem with the radio in this phone and a few of sprints towers. I don?t think there is much anyone can do about it. Just bad (incompatible) hardware. I will say that I have not dropped a call since the update and my signal at work is more consistent but my 3g speed at home 300 yards form a tower are just abysmal. Since my wife is stuck on her palm pre I have an upgrade I can use so I am going to watch and see what people think about the Photon. I?m in no hurry because I can use wifi at home and my call signal seems pretty good after the update. I can tell you this I would not consider anything form Samsung ever again. I think this is there problem and Google is just kinda stuck holding the bag.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you guys just got some duds. It happens with all electronics. I honestly have no signal problems at all and haven't even bothered to go to the new update yet.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you guys just got some duds. It happens with all electronics. I honestly have no signal problems at all and haven't even bothered to go to the new update yet.

That may be, but I honestly don?t think so. As I said when I was in Dayton Ohio my phone was crazy fast. The signal speed I was getting in and around that area was just awesome! I was able to download web pages in just seconds with full flash. The whole time I was there I never seen more than 3 bars of 3g signal. At home I get 3 to 4 bars all the time and it take me 10x as long to load the same pages and like I said YouTube is almost unusable here. Now if I lived in an area like that I would say that people like me were crazy or that they must just have bad phones. It seems like there are a few different types of 3g towers that sprint is using and maybe our phones are not totally compatible with all of them? I guess I?m just guessing but it sure seems that way.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Speedtest.net Mobile Result
Test Date: Jul 29, 2011 8:21:52 pm
Connection Type: EvdoA
Server: Richmond, VA
Download: 1012 kbps
Upload: 415 kbps
Ping: 146 ms

External IP: 72.84.88.9
Internal IP: 21.44.89.170
Latitude: 37.10656
Longitude: -76.50472

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/71599002.png

results on 3g

Speedtest.net Mobile Result
Test Date: Jul 29, 2011 9:09:18 pm
Connection Type: Wifi
Server: Richmond, VA
Download: 12912 kbps
Upload: 4735 kbps
Ping: 24 ms

External IP: 72.84.88.9
Internal IP: 192.168.1.7
Latitude: 37.10671
Longitude: -76.50527

http://www.speedtest.net/android/71607862.png

wifi results....

please post yours......

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
How do you post that?

Do your speedtest with the app, go to results, and share it. I emailed it to myself and copied/pasted to post this from my Transformer:

Test Date: Jul 30, 2011 9:56:13 pm
Server: Jacksonville, FL
Download: 1694 kbps
Upload: 538 kbps Ping: 161 ms

http://www.speedtest.net/android/71877506.png

Test Date: Jul 30, 2011 9:57:46 pm
Server: Jacksonville, FL
Download: 15563 kbps
Upload: 862 kbps Ping: 24 ms

http://www.speedtest.net/android/71877781.png

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
just did this one and I had full 4 bars of 3g signal.

Test Date: Jul 30, 2011 10:43:13 pm
Server: Dearborn, MI
Download: 0.12 Mbps
Upload: 0.36 Mbps
Ping: 208 ms
External IP: 66.87.115.6
Internal IP: 21.209.121.6
Latitude: 42.07011
Longitude: -83.21500
http://www.speedtest.net/android/71886163.png

this one is form the other day in ohio
I had 3 bars or less at the time

Test Date: Jul 29, 2011 9:13:42 am
Server: Radnor, OH
Download: 1.15 Mbps
Upload: 0.07 Mbps
Ping: 185 ms
External IP: 66.87.115.249
Internal IP: 21.212.3.249
Latitude: 39.96044
Longitude: -84.18786
http://www.speedtest.net/android/71462316.png

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
4G
Test Date: Jul 30, 2011 9:43:43 pm
Server: Chicago, IL
Download: 7704 kbps
Upload: 1592 kbps
Ping: 75 ms

3G
Download: 794 kbps
Upload: 441 kbps
Ping: 147 ms

DSL
Download: 1505 kbps
Upload: 641 kbps
Ping: 137 ms

CABLE :umm:
Download: 974 kbps
Upload: 4225 kbps
Ping: 19 ms

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm worried now! I just took my evo3d back twice, and finally for a refund due to signal issues here at home. I reactivated my PalmPre (it's what I had in the drawer) and have been using it until I find a phone I want. I really need the hotspot from android --- it's my only internet connection (using the tether on my tab right now, but it's really pricey as it goes to my data plan, which isn't unlimited). So I was thinking about trying the nxs4g -- since it's on sale at Best Buy -- which is a big consideration for me at the moment. But if the signal is an issue for some -- and I live in an already iffy area, chances are I'll have an issue as well?

Any thoughts?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Get an Airave. They'll send you one for free if you tell them you're having signal problems at home....you even returned a phone twice because of it and they'll see that.

EDIT: crap, nevermind, you dont have broadband internet at home.

How's the Pre's connection? I had one before the NS4G and it was decent enough, but my Nexus has been slightly better.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The Pre is doing pretty good --- funny, better than I remembered. But I can't tether from it and that's an absolute necessity for me --- because I can't keep going over my Tab data allowance, costs too much.

And the Pre's screen is too small for me -- these old eyes need a larger screen. Does the nxs4g have the ability to increase the font size like the og Evo did?

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
yes you can change the text setting size on the Nexus....I do know that after the update I was not able to use the hotspot...but now that I think about it, I never went into the phone settings to enable the WEP....but after root...somehow I remembered to do this and I was able to use hotspot again....

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought my wife a photon yesterday. So far its pretty nice. The signal speed is way way better than the nexus. Her phone gets consistent 1. 4 M download on 3g and loads YouTube videos almost instantly where the nexus is almost unusable. I still like the UI on the nexus better (not a fan of blur). Both phones UI's are fast no reel difference in speed. She is happy with it so far. We played around with just about every phone in the Sprint store and the photon seemed to have the best data speeds. I'm going to see how she likes it and mess with it somemore myself but it looks like I may be selling my nexus soon. Side by side speedtests the photon was almost 3 times faster every test. That's against my phone and the nexus in the store. Funny thing the evo 3d was not much faster than the nexus. Only about 100k faster on downloads. They were the 2 slowest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruno1099