NS4G Hardware drama

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I came to the Nexus from an old trackball BB Curve. I LOVE THE NEXUS! This phone is seriously like a laptop in my pocket, its beautiful. OK, now thats out of the way, i cant deal with the terrible hardware in this thing... GPS works 30% of the time, in an ever growing arena of location based services and GPS navigation, this fail is beyond me coming from Google. I havent had the radio problems that everyone else seems to have but apparently the radios are a problem area too. I got this phone the day sprint let it out, so thats about 7 months ago, and the charging port is out on the phone now. I went to Sprint (who i love by the way) and as always they took great care of me, so I now have a replacement phone on the way and should be here Monday. Im a happy camper i suppose.

However, I know so many people that have iPhones and have never had issues compared to everyone i know that has malfunctioning androids, its ridiculous. So while coming from blackberry to Android has been the best thing since sliced cheese, i think its time to move on to a more reliable piece of tech... an iPhone 4S. Ive been an iHater long enough and everyone i know with android has the problem of waiting for updates to nearly everything (from apps, to OS). Wait for the phone maker, then wait for the carrier... the android solution for that problem... the NS4G and the Prime... but I dont have much confidence in the Prime after what Google boggled with the NS4G. I realize the Nexus plat was older when the 4g version came out but how hard is it really to put a reliable gps in it?

So I'll say this, RIM is far behind, Android is FANTASTIC, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the hardware in the Nexus is a SERIOUS letdown coming from a giant like Google.... Apple, its your turn now.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Posts like this always feel more like a trap to bait angry Android users.

Having said that... If you feel apple is your calling next I'm sorry to see you go. I hope you don't end up with all the same problems (including slow updates, unreliable alarm, bad battery, unreliable GPS, bad signal, cheap build quality, etc.) so many of my friends suffered through on the iPhone 4. I've heard that apple is making strides, hopefully you find what your looking for there.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
its like an alcoholic threatening to take a drink: just take one, be done with it, and stop the drama....

wpbfjr on the road

shibby

May 10, 2011
Visit site
it seems to me people seem to exaggerate there problems alot so they have stuff to complain about they are just phones nothing is perfect with that said go enjoy your iPhone it is your money after all

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
its like an alcoholic threatening to take a drink: just take one, be done with it, and stop the drama....

wpbfjr on the road

I'm actually not that excited about switching. In case you skipped some of what I first wrote, I love the android os, the nexus is an amazing phone, my gripe was over google not updating the hardware when the 4g nexus released.

Anywho, its not like an alcoholic threatening, I am gonna switch, but don't twist this up, I do thoroughly enjoy 2.3.7. But googled failed with the ns4g hardware imho. Which doesn't instill any confidence in me for the prime.

And in my personal experience, the iphone is far more reliable than any android running phone. The post was not meant as a platform for complaining, rather information on my opinions and experience with the nexus for anyone who might be looking for opinions on the phone. But I understand some of the snide remarks, people are passionate aboit there tech, and when someone mentions jumping over to the competition.. well snide comments are always expected.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are going to switch, just switch. The only difference between Nexus S and Nexus S 4g is the CDMA/Wimax radio in the Sprint version. This is done intentionally so all Nexus S Hardware run as similar as software as possible. If google updated the hardware in the NS4G all they would do is fragment their flagship phones.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually not that excited about switching. In case you skipped some of what I first wrote, I love the android os, the nexus is an amazing phone, my gripe was over google not updating the hardware when the 4g nexus released.

Anywho, its not like an alcoholic threatening, I am gonna switch, but don't twist this up, I do thoroughly enjoy 2.3.7. But googled failed with the ns4g hardware imho. Which doesn't instill any confidence in me for the prime.

And in my personal experience, the iphone is far more reliable than any android running phone. The post was not meant as a platform for complaining, rather information on my opinions and experience with the nexus for anyone who might be looking for opinions on the phone. But I understand some of the snide remarks, people are passionate aboit there tech, and when someone mentions jumping over to the competition.. well snide comments are always expected.

Listen to what you're saying...

Google didn't fail at anything because Google didn't build the phone.

Samsung did.

And they are very well known for poor GPS performance on their phones. Try the app listed above, it can clear out cache and possibly help. Also make sure you have all the latest updates - I was experiencing a lot of the same bad signal issues as others until I installed the update that contained the updated radio.

And as far as the Apple thing, if you're willing to sacrifice customizability and functionality for reliability, then so be it. Charging ports go bad on iPhones too, though

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Listen to what you're saying...

Google didn't fail at anything because Google didn't build the phone.

Samsung did.

And they are very well known for poor GPS performance on their phones. Try the app listed above, it can clear out cache and possibly help. Also make sure you have all the latest updates - I was experiencing a lot of the same bad signal issues as others until I installed the update that contained the updated radio.

And as far as the Apple thing, if you're willing to sacrifice customizability and functionality for reliability, then so be it. Charging ports go bad on iPhones too, though

Samsung built it... Google spec'd it. That's my understanding. So that's a google fail in my eyes.

And fragment their flagship phone? How is udating hardware over an older model fragmenting a new release? By that logic, installing a wimax radio is fragmenting, so that statement is blah to me.

Trading RELIABILITY, for customization and functionality? Really? I don't know about everyone else, but reliability is priority one in my book. If you can't rely on it, what good is it? More and more ppl are getting rid of their personal landlines altogether, choosing to only have a cell as a form of talking, and many of those ppl carrying smart phones, and many of those ppl using said phone to fb, twitter, skype, netflix, hbogo, and so on... reliability is the main concern in this era. Jus sayin.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I honestly do not understand these "I'm going to leave" threads. Yes, it is your money, and yes, you should be happy. But by announcing it to the world, what do you hope to gain? Do you want everyone to come on here and beg you not to leave? Do you want everyone to admit what an idiot they've been all this time for enjoying their Nexus (or other Android device) and thank you for enlightening them? I'm sorry, I just don't get it. And I have just fueled the darned fire and encouraged this behavior by even responding to this post...:mad:

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Samsung built it... Google spec'd it. That's my understanding. So that's a google fail in my eyes.

And fragment their flagship phone? How is udating hardware over an older model fragmenting a new release? By that logic, installing a wimax radio is fragmenting, so that statement is blah to me.

Trading RELIABILITY, for customization and functionality? Really? I don't know about everyone else, but reliability is priority one in my book. If you can't rely on it, what good is it? More and more ppl are getting rid of their personal landlines altogether, choosing to only have a cell as a form of talking, and many of those ppl carrying smart phones, and many of those ppl using said phone to fb, twitter, skype, netflix, hbogo, and so on... reliability is the main concern in this era. Jus sayin.

Google might have signed off on it, but your main complaint was about GPS functionality. Given their history, Samsung does not have good success with GPS on their phones. Jus sayin.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty