Do I have a bad handset? What am I missing?

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Nexus S 4G for about six months now, and it's been rooted since the first ICS roms came out. But there are some things I just don't get, and no, this isn't my first Android device. I don't really consider myself a newbie.

More than once, while flashing a ROM, the flash wouldn't take, because the phone says "not enough memory available," which I've found interesting each time since I keep almost nothing besides apps on the phone. Each time, the only way to recover is to erase the USB storage to get the ROM to flash.

So here I am today, looking at my storage in settings. Says I have 13.31 GB total USB space, which I understand is the 16GB minus whatever is needed for formatting and such. But it tells me that of that 13.31GB, only 3.65 GB is available.

But here's the breakdown by category:
Apps: 699 MB
Pictures, videos: 1.06 GB
Audio: 8.61 MB
Downloads: 9.19 MB

Combined, everything on that list doesn't total 2 GB. So I SHOULD have 11ish GB available. What happened to the eight GB I should have available that the settings menu tells me I don't?

Also...and this may be a Tasker problem and I'm going to e-mail Tasker support, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having problems....I get an almost continual Tasker alert telling me my system is low on memory, and this may cause Tasker to not function correctly. It advises me to check my available memory in Settings under Apps using the memory bar at the bottom. I consistently have over 350 MB of internal memory available. Or more than 1/3 of the total internal memory. Exactly how little available memory is too little?

Thoughts?