Antivirus Necessary?

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
There really doesn't seem to be much consensus on other board, but I was wondering what everyone here was doing. I already had to grant extra permissions to use the Amazon App store app, but won't install anything I didn't get there or via the Marketplace. Is an antivirus really necessary?

If so, what are people using? Another thread mentioned Lookout or AVG. Thoughts?

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There really doesn't seem to be much consensus on other board, but I was wondering what everyone here was doing. I already had to grant extra permissions to use the Amazon App store app, but won't install anything I didn't get there or via the Marketplace. Is an antivirus really necessary?

If so, what are people using? Another thread mentioned Lookout or AVG. Thoughts?

I think it is necessary, especially since there seems to be more malware coming out, not always through Android Market. Some can come through Amazon's as well, especially since Amazon doesn't say anything about checking apps for malware before putting them in their market.

You can also get drive-by viruses through websites, along with phishing sites, just like on your desktop PC.

I use Webroot Mobile Security. It provides virus and malware protection, lost device protection (delete info, etc), secure web browsing (just like on a PC), Call/SMS blocking, and App Inspector to protect your privacy.

Lookout is good, but it does NOT provide Call/SMS blocking or secure web browsing to protect your from phishing and drive-bys.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Anti virus is a joke, especially lookout. It causes more problems than anything. Often times devices have anti viruses on them, and they are the root to whatever issue the phone is having.. Once deleted, or hard reset, the device works fine again. I work on hundreds of android devices monthly, and I dont recommend using any antivirus programs, also task killers are pretty worthless aswell.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Lookout did cause my Galaxy Tab to reboot like crazy, but it's been working well on my Nexus S.

I think that if you check the permissions of all the apps before you install them, you should be fine.

I am weary of apps that require the permission to read contact data. That with full internet access would let the app send your contacts info back to the mothership.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89