Returning for the GS2?

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious how many people on here will ber returning their photon for the GS2 when it drops. I for one will not. I love samsung hardware but the epic has made me once bitten, twice shy. From lots of FCs, poor signal strength, wifi going in and out constantly and basically having a worthless gps. I'm really pleased with the photon. I would honestly be surprised if the GS2 is overall as good as the photon is, from software and hardware. Personally I'm not ready to believe samsung has learned their lesson about updating their products.

Reactions: uscsailor

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
+1 coming from the nexus s no g i would be hard pressed to buy another samsung phone. The nexus must have the same hardware as your epic had. No thanks samsung i will stick with my MoPho!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I, for one, returned my Photon. Once all the kinks are out I may be back, but I have never had a phone with this many issues out of the box (I didn't own the Nexus and my Epic, while slow in updates, never gave me the issues that a lot complain about).

I'm going to be on the fence waiting for the Sammy and the Apple announcements. Once those two are announced and Motorola issues a few additional fixes, I will consider coming back to the Photon. I did really like the phone, but there were some things that just didn't cut it for me.

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The recent update made Photon useable again... I still have to keep a piece of paper behind battery cover to keep it from shutting down (2nd unit with same problem..) Having said that I AM returning Photon before my 30 day is up and see what Samsung come up with... or may even look into Nexus Prime... Having gone thru so many issues with Photon, it's just too scary to keep it beyond 30 day.... Photon is a one hell of a phone though, when it's working that is...

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
before i got the photon i was debating. and its still a possibility. But i get deals like crazy(i work for sprint). But i havent been this pleased with a phone for a while so im debating. but i was afraid i wouldnt be able to go away from the amoled but this screen is by far not bad at all. not AS good imo but i am digging this phone, plus with the qhd display and high res pics this thing is a beast.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm keeping it. I bought the EPIC on launch day, Aug. 31st and that sucker had ISSUES. The kinks were worked out, finally, but the Sammy's are always behind when it comes to Android OS. The new Sammy's always tend to be more problematic for new apps, for some reason. My guess is that it's because of the very innovative hardware that they use. I'm less of a beta testers who needs cutting edge, and more of a business user.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I am keeping mine. After the update I have not had any problems. The car dock is awesome and I got two of the desktop docks really cheap. There are still some shortcomings like: no setting to turn off mobile web browsing, extra taps to send a test message, no auto HTML email, some problems with different music files (popping and skipping), dropped calls (probably Sprint network problem)and some other minor issues that won't convince me to take it back. The call quality and volume alone are enough to live with some of the bugs.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am keeping mine. After the update I have not had any problems. The car dock is awesome and I got two of the desktop docks really cheap. There are still some shortcomings like: no setting to turn off mobile web browsing, extra taps to send a test message, no auto HTML email, some problems with different music files (popping and skipping), dropped calls (probably Sprint network problem)and some other minor issues that won't convince me to take it back. The call quality and volume alone are enough to live with some of the bugs.

The issues I have aren't enough for me to box it back up & return it. I absolutely love this phone. When I'm home it stays docked & I do everything with the BT KB.
Now, connecting it through HDMI, I did it just to try it out but my setup is such that places me to far away from the phone to be heard when I answer it.

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I was interested but I know how Samsung is at updating their devices. I read a couple of reviews about the phone being plasticky too... my Photon is running flawlessly so far... it's a keeper... getting used to the OS coming from webOS... waiting for the Iphone 5 news though... see what it brings to the table... but I have a upgrade available on another line though!

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I went down looked at S2 and pulled the trigger, it was pretty easy decision. After 5 days with the S2 it was the right decision.

I am waiting for a call from Sprint to tell me when they will have S2 in store. My 30 day runs out on 18th and store is supposed to have S2 by 16th. I have been happy with the Photon, actually I thinks its great. I did have a battery drain problem early on, but now it seems to be fine. I ordered three backup batteries, they will arrive about the time I decide to go to S2. No biggy, the batteries and charger were only $12.

So do I go with a phone I am very happy with or go with what I originally wanted, but thought it would be Oct or Nov before it would be available and I needed to dump my Pre minus?

Last edited:

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I ordered three backup batteries, they will arrive about the time I decide to go to S2. No biggy, the batteries and charger were only $12.
Curious where you got this deal. Is that $12 for all 4 items (3 batteries + 1 charger) or $12 for each of those 4 items ($48 total). Obviously the first deal is a really good deal, but I'm interested even if it's the 2nd deal.
So do I go with a phone I am very happy with or go with what I originally wanted, but thought it would be Oct or Nov before it would be available and I needed to dump my Pre minus?
For me I'm staying w/the photon over the GS2. Here's my thinking on this:
  • (positive) The photon is a world phone
  • (negative) The sammy is likely to have much more accessory support than the photon
  • (positive) The photon's cell radio is (IMHO) really quite good. I agree with phonedog on this topic
  • (positive) The battery on the photon is pretty good. This probably has a lot to do with the cell radio's really strong performance. (I still want a spare battery.)
  • (neutral) Most of my irritations with the photon are actually irritations with the fact that android doesn't do something that I liked in webOS. The sammy is not likely to resolve this.
I don't think the photon is perfect. But my history of being disappointed with cell phones leads me to believe my relatively small disappointment w/the photon is about as good as I'm going to get. If the sammy is closer to my average disappointment in cell phones, I'm going to be more disappointed with it than I am w/the photon.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't like how long it takes to charge a Samsung phone. I am using a Nexus S right now and it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 hrs to charge depending on temp and usage during charging. My Evo and Photon recharges quickly ( about 2 hrs) even if I was streaming Netflix while charging. I know that the international gsm Galaxy 2 still exhibit this problem. I hope the US version will be better. Looking forward to hear some views and experiences when their phone finally arrives.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, it seems that everyone here is on a different page and everyone is sticking to their own personal reasons for staying or going to the GS2, which is a good thing. I personally have never owned a Galaxy series phone so I can't comment on their quality or radio issues.

BUT, Being as I returned my Photon yesterday I am stuck with the dilemma of staying with sprint and going to the GS2, waiting for the iPhone 5 or moving to AT&T LG thrill.

Any suggestions?

Back to a Pre for now!

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Curious where you got this deal. Is that $12 for all 4 items (3 batteries + 1 charger) or $12 for each of those 4 items ($48 total). Obviously the first deal is a really good deal, but I'm interested even if it's the 2nd deal.

Search on ebay under motorola photon battery

The batts are 1500s from Hong Kong and a wall charger
They take about 2 weeks or more to reach you, slow ground mail.
On my Epic they lasted about 60% as long as the OEM.
Total price with shipping for 3 batteries and the charger is 12.90 US

They are a great deal for backups, I ordered mine 2 weeks before I expected to get my phone.'

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...119425?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item45fc81f7c1

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Search on ebay under motorola photon battery

The batts are 1500s from Hong Kong and a wall charger
They take about 2 weeks or more to reach you, slow ground mail.
On my Epic they lasted about 60% as long as the OEM.
Total price with shipping for 3 batteries and the charger is 12.90 US

They are a great deal for backups, I ordered mine 2 weeks before I expected to get my phone.'

NEW 3X 1500MAH BATTERY+CHARGER FOR MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G | eBay
Let us know how it fits and battery life when you get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699