Galaxy S4: Strange Security Message Since 4.3 Update

kohn

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I am getting this attached message that "An application attempting to access system on my device without authorization," and have not changed anything except upgrading to 4.3 and that's when I started getting this message. I've click "view apps" and it shows my entire list of downloaded applications. I've searched all over the Internet for an answer, with no luck. Has anyone seen this and have any ideas what I can do, without wiping my phone?

Screenshot_2013-10-31-21-49-18.jpg

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Heard that Samsung's KNOX causes that. Pulling the notifaction bar and doing a long press on the notification should show an app info and further the app that caused the notification.
Same as on Settiings, Apps, All ... you'd disable the app, what should help.

fivefwdgears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to click on the "update" button on that message and after I agreed to Samsungs new privacy policy it hasn't popped up since.

Update: The pop up came back with no option other than the ones the OP captured in the screen shot.

Sent from my Galaxy not so far far away...

Last edited:

Gus Gusmen

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting the same notification lately, every time I enable the wifi or data connection. I seem to have solved it, hopefully permanently, by going to application manager go to "all" tab, scroll down to Knox notification manager,then clear data and cache. I was able to verify that this solved my problem by disabling my wifi connection and enabling again, only now the notice did not pop up again. Hope this will be of any help. BTW my phone (I9505) is running on the original Samsung software and not rooted.

kayak001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
same thing. ALSO the high definition voice on my gps is now gone! is there any way to get this back (without having to sign up for a samsung account)? grrrrr.
thanks all

Corvidious

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Clearing the data didn't work for me, either. I'm getting the message when the Wifi Location Toggle app, from the Google Play Store, kicks in. It worked fine under 4.2 and has been a helpful replacement for WiFi Smart Mode (not starting up WiFi when there's nothing to connect to), so I'm reluctant to get rid of it. Maybe I'll try to send a note to the developer.

Edit: Now I 've tried a couple of similar apps from the Play Store (plus a simple WiFi toggle widget)--they provoke the same message.

Fresh edit: It's encouraging to note that, despite the notifications, the WiFi app still works. I guess I could just ignore them for now.

Last edited:

colinspooky

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just had this, which is promising

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I am sorry you are experiencing issues when completing the security update.

This is an issue our engineers are aware of and they are working on a fix for this.

Hopefully this will be resolved within the next few days, until then we ask you to be patient and cancel the update when it comes through until the issue has been resolved.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Grey_girl

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just had this, which is promising

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I am sorry you are experiencing issues when completing the security update.

This is an issue our engineers are aware of and they are working on a fix for this.

Hopefully this will be resolved within the next few days, until then we ask you to be patient and cancel the update when it comes through until the issue has been resolved.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Wow... but which update specifically are they asking people to hold off on? 4.3?

Colinspooky, please keep us updated.

colinspooky

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Previously, when you clicked the warning message (when you 'pulled down' the notifications on your home screen) the one above, it said something about an app trying to do something, update perhaps, well that message has vanished on mine. When you tap the warning it just vanishes now, so maybe they are halfway to killing it off. maybe But then again, it may mean the big OS update. Which is of course too late for those seeing the errant warning. So guessing we get a fix soon.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
It's not the fact that the message pops up, its the lack of detail within the message. It doesn't say which app, what service, or give me a choice to authorise it etc etc...

I have just download a racing game which installed, then the message pops up. I tried another one, message pops up, I tried a generic notepad type app, message pops up. Although blocking the access doesn't actually seem to affect the games/programs, it is more of an annoyance.

It is great that Samsung are assisting users in protecting their devices (although slightly amusing that the actual Samsung store isn't a trusted service on my phone by default, I had to tick the 'install apps from unknown sources button to be able to use it), but for Android Power Users who like to tinker, we need to know more info about what is doing what and accessing what. After all, the Play Store tells users what an app will do and gain access to prior to install.

If anyone finds out more info, please let me know

Rich

TechAddict

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's not the fact that the message pops up, its the lack of detail within the message. It doesn't say which app, what service, or give me a choice to authorise it etc etc...

I have just download a racing game which installed, then the message pops up. I tried another one, message pops up, I tried a generic notepad type app, message pops up. Although blocking the access doesn't actually seem to affect the games/programs, it is more of an annoyance.

It is great that Samsung are assisting users in protecting their devices (although slightly amusing that the actual Samsung store isn't a trusted service on my phone by default, I had to tick the 'install apps from unknown sources button to be able to use it), but for Android Power Users who like to tinker, we need to know more info about what is doing what and accessing what. After all, the Play Store tells users what an app will do and gain access to prior to install.

If anyone finds out more info, please let me know

Rich

Indeed. If it was an app that has tried to access the system, you'd think the system would know WHICH app it was, in which case it would be more useful if the option at the bottom took you to, at least initially, the offending app. Hopefully, if its a glitch it'll get fixed soon and won't be a bother. But system protection, if something triggers it, would be better notifying you which is the offending app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is Knox. It randomly turned on for me.. Without me doing anything... It tried to block my superuser (rooted) access.

If you pull down your notification bar and hold down on the notification when you receive it you'll see that a button pops up and you can hit app info. This works for ALL notifications in Android. It will show you what's causing that notification... And know what it is? I highlighted it below in the screenshot... It's called "Knox Notification Manager".

I froze all of Knox using Titanium Backup (rooted app) so it can't run and now I don't get that message anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1384797271950.jpg
    1384797271950.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 52

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't have Knox but still got the message. A couple of days later there would be a message which said to correct the problem click on update security. Haven't received the warning since doing that.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Really sounds like Jerry or some one at Android central do a blog on this KNOX Bs. Maybe it'll stop these post and make folks feel better.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

WilfulTravesty

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I froze all of Knox using Titanium Backup (rooted app) so it can't run and now I don't get that message anymore.

So yes, you turned off the app generating the security warning and doing the security check, but there is still an application on your (and our) devices which is attempting to get into the system when it should not be. So all you've done is turned off the security check and warning while still allowing the security violation to continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87