Actual battery life

Scooter_In_MN

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have had this for a few days, I would like to compare my battery life to other folk's.
For the past few days, I have been tinkering with my phone quite a bit getting it set up. I was down to about 20% last night from a full charge in the AM. Here is a detail of my usage:

Calls:0
Email: 2 accounts and an Exchange account running TouchDown
Data: About 10 minutes of web browsing and download about 10-15 new apps.
GPS: A little usage. Checked out weather radar about 3 times
Bluetooth: On all day

After this, does 20% seem normal? I was playing a bit more with the phone than I normally do and I am hoping that was it. I am expecting better battery life than my old BB or Windows phone.

Any battery saving tips?

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have had this for a few days, I would like to compare my battery life to other folk's.
For the past few days, I have been tinkering with my phone quite a bit getting it set up. I was down to about 20% last night from a full charge in the AM. Here is a detail of my usage:

After this, does 20% seem normal? I was playing a bit more with the phone than I normally do and I am hoping that was it. I am expecting better battery life than my old BB or Windows phone.

Any battery saving tips?

I have a weather app that refreshes every 30 minutes using GPS. I send between 30-50 text a day, have both an Yahoo mail app and Gmail running continuously, and make between 10-20 calls a day and never have less that 25% battery life after 12 hours of use. Of course coming from an EPIC this is like twice the battery life I was getting so no complaints on my part. You have to take into account that I have a full signal almost all day long which helps a bunch in battery life.

I seriously doubt any stock Android phone/battery is going to compete with a Blackberry in terms of battery life, but this XPRT will come the closest. My son has a Replenish and couldn't make it through an 8 hour day at first.... But the app "Juice Defender" (beta version) gained him on average 3 hours a day.

Hope this helps.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife had the Droid Pro on Verizon and her battery suffered because she had the phone set to global instead of CDMA only. Maybe this is the issue with yours.

fasnic

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a weather app that refreshes every 30 minutes using GPS. I send between 30-50 text a day, have both an Yahoo mail app and Gmail running continuously, and make between 10-20 calls a day and never have less that 25% battery life after 12 hours of use. Of course coming from an EPIC this is like twice the battery life I was getting so no complaints on my part. You have to take into account that I have a full signal almost all day long which helps a bunch in battery life.

I seriously doubt any stock Android phone/battery is going to compete with a Blackberry in terms of battery life, but this XPRT will come the closest. My son has a Replenish and couldn't make it through an 8 hour day at first.... But the app "Juice Defender" (beta version) gained him on average 3 hours a day.

Hope this helps.

Perfect... I'm looking at this having an Epic right now. Anything you miss from the Epic..? I agree fully on the battery issue. Any suggestions of warnings..?

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Perfect... I'm looking at this having an Epic right now. Anything you miss from the Epic..? I agree fully on the battery issue. Any suggestions of warnings..?

Everything is a matter of personal taste. The Epic is a top of the line, entertainment oriented, device that is great at what it does. If I watched streaming movies or played high end video games on my phone I would probably still be using it today.

As for the XPRT there are some drawbacks. Mainly the fact that there are ZERO "mainstream" cases available right now. No Seidio, Otterbox, or Bodyglove as of now. You pretty much have to go on Ebay to find a case that fits. And you have to make sure you search for Motorola XPRT MB612, otherwise you may get a Droid Pro case that doe not fit...

The other main "drawback" is the camera.... The Epics seems to be 10 times better for some reason, even though they are both supposed to be 5 mp. I was told a software fix may be in the works for that issue, but for now it is what it is.

I know in spec-land I am supposed to love the Epic more, but I just don't. I love my XPRT and until HTC decides to make a portrait qwerty device, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Reactions: fasnic

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are there apps you cant get because you are running 2.2? I know for example when I was in the store the phone was running Google Maps 5.3 rather than 5.7 on my Evo3D. That is a drawback for me. Also the camera does take horrible pictures.

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Are there apps you cant get because you are running 2.2? I know for example when I was in the store the phone was running Google Maps 5.3 rather than 5.7 on my Evo3D. That is a drawback for me. Also the camera does take horrible pictures.

My XPRT is running Google Maps 5.7... but that, along with Adobe Flash, had to be updated manually for some reason. Heck, my sons Samung Replenish is running 5.7

As far as the camera quality goes... The pictures you take with your XPRT will look grainy on the phone, but once you download them to Facebook or your computer, they look pretty good. They are by no means as good as the Epics, Evo or any other "High End" entertainment device, but they aren't as bad as they appear on the XPRT's smaller screen.

The only apps that I can't seem to run on my XPRT that I could run on my Epic are the 3d racing games like NFS shift. Also I heard the Netflix app will never be available because of screen size............... But, HBO.GO works fine on my XPRT so there ya go.

It all comes back to what is important for the individual. You give up alot of screen size and entertainment features just for the blackberry-like keyboard and extended battery life. It won't be worth the trade off for most people. For me it is.

fasnic

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Everything is a matter of personal taste. The Epic is a top of the line, entertainment oriented, device that is great at what it does. If I watched streaming movies or played high end video games on my phone I would probably still be using it today.

As for the XPRT there are some drawbacks. Mainly the fact that there are ZERO "mainstream" cases available right now. No Seidio, Otterbox, or Bodyglove as of now. You pretty much have to go on Ebay to find a case that fits. And you have to make sure you search for Motorola XPRT MB612, otherwise you may get a Droid Pro case that doe not fit...

The other main "drawback" is the camera.... The Epics seems to be 10 times better for some reason, even though they are both supposed to be 5 mp. I was told a software fix may be in the works for that issue, but for now it is what it is.

I know in spec-land I am supposed to love the Epic more, but I just don't. I love my XPRT and until HTC decides to make a portrait qwerty device, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Thanks... That's the kind of info I was looking for. And actually the two reasons you mentioned in your other post are what I'm looking for - keyboard and battery Life. I do some surfing, some basic gaming, but mainly text, email and I actually use it for phone calls. Battery Life is so much what I'm interested in, as the Epic kills me.

How is the keyboard compared to the Epic, I expect some getting used to... But is it good..?

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... That's the kind of info I was looking for. And actually the two reasons you mentioned in your other post are what I'm looking for - keyboard and battery Life. I do some surfing, some basic gaming, but mainly text, email and I actually use it for phone calls. Battery Life is so much what I'm interested in, as the Epic kills me.

How is the keyboard compared to the Epic, I expect some getting used to... But is it good..?

This is my opinion only...so take it for what its worth... I used a Blackberry device of some kind for over 6 years before jumping to the Epic and I literally hated the Epics keyboard at first. Even though as far as slider keyboards go, there is none better than the Epic's, I just couldn't make the transition suit me.

Now, the XPRT's keyboard is awesome, but it too has a few quirks. Mainly, the touchscreen soft keys located right above the keyboard make for some tricky maneuvering sometimes. If you get in a hurry you will very easily touch one of them while typing on the top row... This will trigger google search or whatever and you'll have to back out of it to continue. This took me about a week to figure out, but I still do it occasionally.

Everything else about the keyboard is so much like a Blackberry that I find it hard to believe they haven't been sued...LOL It is very responsive, feels solid, and just works like it should. If, however, they would have made this device just 1/2 an inch wider, it would have been perfect. It can feel a little cramped at times, especially if you only have an EPIC-like keyboard to compare it to.

One more thing... there is no dedicated "smiley" key... Which, by the way, was just another PLUS in my book... LOL

Reactions: fasnic

ronboy

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Any battery saving tips?

Your battery life seems ok! What time in the morning did you start with a full battery charge? Now you can increase your battery life by cutting backlight brightness as well as the time it stays on, turn off bluetooth and all the location services like the GPS.

cheech73

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
my phone comes off the charger around 9-930 everyday and every night it goes back on the charger around 3 am. i still have about 50-60% battery life, and this is with tinkering with the phone all day. emails syncing every 30 minutes when idata is being used, but set to turn off data after 1 hour of non usage. wifi on when i use mobile and Facebook app. a few calls a day lots of texting and brightness set to auto.

cheech73

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
someone mentioned pictures. i used the camera alot on the camera. pics taken during the day actually come out very nice. but pics taken at night come out grainy, but a little tinkering with photo edit app it looks good.

Last edited: