What do you Dislike about the GB update

Copernikus

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Since many have gotten the update and had a chance to play with it a bit I thought it would be good to see what has been discovered and is disliked:

For me the trashcan to get rid of links on the home pages is way to small. If you have a case on t\your phone and try to drag something to the top you really have to push to get it in the can. I understand with the app drawer at the bottom they had to move the can but they did not have to shrink it so much. I know all in all this is a minor thing since it is not to often you need to remove something but it is a bit of a pain when you do.

Please leave your dislikes on this thread. Other may have options to make them better.Please do not post here if you had problems with download or install that is covered in another post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-atrix/105531-downloading-update-4-9-51-not-beta.html

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Isnt the entire top of the bar a trash can so just drag it up there and wala? I disliked it when it was at the bottom, I was always missing the icon.

I dislike that I can rearrange the app drawer button to be on the left side, rather than the right.
Nitpicky.........

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A few issues:

1. No indicator on battery usage. Now you have to go to about phone: status to see the percentage left on your charge.

2. The browser icon is terrible.

3. The white shading below the bottom icons on the home screen looks out of place and takes away from the clean look of the UI.

4. For me, the phone lags a little on some apps where it didn't with Froyo.

5. Some apps don't utilize full screen.

6. No option to sync all emails on corporate sync with exchange.

7. Quick Contacts on homescreen reset to neutral after reboot.

8. On Business Calendar widget, controls unlock randomly on wakeup.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I second on the browser icon... how could they come up with crap like this... i did notice the slight lag on some apps.. overall new interface is crap... not what I've expected... well going back to Launcher Pro again....

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
A few issues:

1. No indicator on battery usage. Now you have to go to about phone: status to see the percentage left on your charge.

3. The white shading below the bottom icons on the home screen looks out of place and takes away from the clean look of the UI.

1.I dont remember Froyo having a number by the Battery.

2. Its not that bad, Its an ATT phone....have some pride.

3. agree.

4. Well guess what, GB came out yesterday. Do you expect every app to automatically adjust itself? Some apps are obviously still running with froyo coding......stop being impatient.

5. see above.

You guys bashed Motoblur and Froyo on this phone to high heaven, now that GB is out you guys hate that too?
Damn I'd hate to be Motorola...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
oh and the most important, the phone still gets hot at the bottom as it used before. damn.....

Edit the cyan color of the keyboard keys and in some menus just drives me nuts, I feel like puking when i look at it.. no seriously i am highly dissapointed how they butchered Gingerbread interface....

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Not really looking for your thoughts on my thoughts. Just listing as the OP suggested. Froyo most certainly had a percentage listed in the battery usage screen. Also I've had GB since wednesday's soak test and I'm not being impatient, just listing my dislikes. Also, I have no pride in a phone carrier, that's ludicrous, I'm not responsible for their accomplishments or failures, I just want my phone to work.

tatiana320

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I definitely agree with #3 about the white shading in the dock. It totally takes away from the look of
how a dock should look. We shouldn't have to constantly download another developers theme to mimic what it should look like. Also the whole white menus now, is like a drastic change on the eyes especially if you were use to the black background. I wonder if they will release another update sometime later to make the UI better an colors as well.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
How about the fact that I'm LAGGED as hell now, what the bejeezus. Can't swipe between simple homescreens without a 1.5 to 2 second lag...posted about it in the other thread and other people have it too. Ugh. I'm jealous of everyone's "smoothness" they keep talking about. My froyo was smooth - this is choppy chop city. Get me out of this..somebody magically fix my lag please. *begging*:-[

EDIT: Lag has been fixed everyone, thank you. :)

Last edited:

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm also noticing a slight lag now.....dosen't bother me though, my previous phone was an iPhone 3G so I've dealt with worse.

mrakifa

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A few issues:

Wow...just download a battery widget...circle battery widget is good...not that serious buddy!

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
for me the loss of root.
Moving trashcan
Still can not choose display name in contacts and worse is twitter gets top spot so if twitter account is joined that is display name.

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wish homescreen could switch to landscape orientation, not a fan of the browser icon either, app drawer should he able to move to any spot in the launcher, agree that contact display name should be a choice, and lastly why is battery percentage not shown in the battery mngt screen anymore?

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Wish homescreen could switch to landscape orientation, not a fan of the browser icon either, app drawer should he able to move to any spot in the launcher, agree that contact display name should be a choice, and lastly why is battery percentage not shown in the battery mngt screen anymore?

Well figured out afterwards that you can change it. The picture part is not working right but not as big of a deal.

Oh and god yes I hate the new browser icon. I liked the old one so much better. The new one looks to much like contact icon for my taste.

dell 2

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I use circle battery widget to keep up with battery level in one percent increments. I don't really understand the lag complaints, gingerbread's biggest asset is the performance boost. Go into your browser and watch a video, rotate your phone, double tap to zoom, pinch to zoom; check how the video never pauses. This was touted as a major asset of the Galaxy S2, well we have it now on gingerbread, it couldn't do it on Froyo.