corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T currently charges $20 for mobile tethering support (and drops you from unlimited down to 2GB even if you're currently grandfathered). I imagine mobile hotspot will probably cost the same.

Not worth it, IMO.

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree, not worth it. Especially when you consider that your extra $20 for mobile tethering does NOT give you an extra 2 GB...it's the same data bucket as your on-handset data plan.

Wi-Fi tethering can be achieved with root. USB/Bluetooth tethering can be achieved with PDAnet or EasyTether and doesn't require root.

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Will the laptop dock have BT enabled to tether between it and the Atrix?
The laptop dock is just a screen, keyboard, and battery. It's not a separate computer, so there is nothing to tether.

Tethering would be needed for a full laptop, another computer, iPad, etc.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You can root it (after it gets hacked) and tether for free (out of your normal data allotment).

To be clear:
The laptop dock is not an independent entity, think of it as an basic linux extension of the atrix.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just get PDAnet, put phone to wireless only, and then tether that way. Saves you from the AT&T tethering plan.....but you'll prob have to find some other way to get hotspot (if its not enabled)

Reactions: textiaac

SpaceCracker

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I heard that Att was bringing back the unlimited data plans like verizon will have for the iphone so i figured they would allow us to have the hotspot feature for an extra 20 or 30 bucks with unlimited data. I read that somewhere online. Anyone else hear anything like that?

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I heard that Att was bringing back the unlimited data plans like verizon will have for the iphone so i figured they would allow us to have the hotspot feature for an extra 20 or 30 bucks with unlimited data. I read that somewhere online. Anyone else hear anything like that?

That deal is only for customers who used to have unlimited data and want to go back to it.

There is no reason to pay for the hotspot feature monthly, as there are many free apps and roots that will do exactly the same thing.

SpaceCracker

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
my only source of internet is via air card or hotspot due to where i live. I use 10 to 15 gb per month. The hotspot feature would be good for me if Att allowed for unlimited usage for the extra charge.

Kaspern

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if the laptop dock has a ethernet port on top of the wifi/3g or 4g coming through phone? Or it only has the 2 usb ports? Would be nice to attach a webcam and have skype running in webtop mode =)

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
my only source of internet is via air card or hotspot due to where i live. I use 10 to 15 gb per month. The hotspot feature would be good for me if Att allowed for unlimited usage for the extra charge.

Did you see my tether option in a post on the last page?

Anyone know if the laptop dock has a ethernet port on top of the wifi/3g or 4g coming through phone? Or it only has the 2 usb ports? Would be nice to attach a webcam and have skype running in webtop mode =)

Nope, sorry. Just 2 usb ports and the power adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa