Captivate update went fine, but I wish I had not done it.

retnuh

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I applied the update to my Captivate without any problems. However, my GPS, like many others are reporting, did not improve. Also, "Media Scanning", like many others have reported, did not perform any faster. But, the "PC Internet" button is no longer available when you connect with a USB cable. My phone is not rooted and does not have any third party apps. Is there a simple way for a complete newbe to reverse the update?

thanks
retnuh

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Xda forums have a one-click restore to stock. It requires some messing around, but instructions are complete. Make sure you are in the captivate forum there before downloading and applying the update :)

AoN

retnuh

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks anneoneamouse. I downloaded a program called ODIN3. But then read several posts about people who said not to use it unless you have no other options. There were various issues. Can you recommend another, safe, program?

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I used odin to flash to stock. You can use Titanium backup to backup your apps and all. You export your contacts to your external SD card. Put the data on the computer, just in case...use Odin to go back to stock. Install Titanium to reinstall apps and all. I never had the opportunity to really use Titanium.

I am on STOCK 2.1. Not 2.1 update 1. But I am rooted and OCLF and I am SO very happy. My previous setup was a bit laggy and permission problems.

Hope that helps a little.

To use odin you need to get to download screen which is VERY simple...
Turn off Captivate
Turn on Odin
Wait a minute
Push the up and down volume on phone(DONT press power)
Right after you press them plug in your USB into your phone(already connected to PC)
Hold volume controls till Downloading screen comes up, let Odin detect the phone...
Press start

Thats all there is to it, worked PERFECTLY for me. Just look for Odin with 2.1 update 1 with it...I have 2.1

retnuh

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks jflexe99. The only objection to ODIN3 that I remember was that once you use it, you can no longer do OTA updates. Do you know if this is true?

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I applied the update to my Captivate without any problems. However, my GPS, like many others are reporting, did not improve. Also, "Media Scanning", like many others have reported, did not perform any faster. But, the "PC Internet" button is no longer available when you connect with a USB cable. My phone is not rooted and does not have any third party apps. Is there a simple way for a complete newbe to reverse the update?

thanks
retnuh
i think it stinks that they now break/disable features that came with the phone, without your knowledge or consent, and leave you with less phone as a result of their update. i think that's grounds to return the phone and cancel the contract. maybe they should have a swarm of that and see if they mend their ways. their business model is to find every way possible to screw the customer and sell you more services. are the others any better?

BoBoCaptivate

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this post ... I am really upset. I wonder if anyone can sue them over changing what the hardware that they purchased ... but of course they probably have a ton of "disclaimer" language to cover their $$$. The whole purpose of this update was to cover this removal ... I feel so STUPID!! Why did I do it. It is just one minute of stupidity ... now I have to figure out what to do ... let me know if you figure something out that works and is reliable.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
What is this "PC Internet" button?

I've never noticed this, does it only show with USB debugging off maybe? I updated my phone, like most I see little difference if any in GPS, still lucky to get a signal. My wife's phone isn't updated - just wondering if I can see this function there. I'm ultimately going to root the phone when a Captivate specific ROM is there; what function did this do?

thanks
retnuh

jkois

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this post ... I am really upset. I wonder if anyone can sue them over changing what the hardware that they purchased ... but of course they probably have a ton of "disclaimer" language to cover their $$$. The whole purpose of this update was to cover this removal ... I feel so STUPID!! Why did I do it. It is just one minute of stupidity ... now I have to figure out what to do ... let me know if you figure something out that works and is reliable.

i feel the exact same way. i am ticked off mad.:mad: looks like only option is to somehow re-vert back to the previous software (don't know how) or root the phone and use the wifi tethering option. like to do the former, resisting the latter.

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i feel the exact same way. i am ticked off mad.:mad: looks like only option is to somehow re-vert back to the previous software (don't know how) or root the phone and use the wifi tethering option. like to do the former, resisting the latter.

I just got my update notice and it is really persistent on the phone. i am wondering if AT&T can force this on it's customers. Surely, dont let a store tech touch your phone, as they will immediately update it. when you click on the notice, you do not get a choice to cancel or not install, just a choice of how many hours to delay the start of the push. I simply left the page and went back to main screen, but it wasn't easy.
:mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty