Foxfi working on the Note 2?

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
........., if I decided not to sign a new contract for the Note 2 and loose unlimited. I would have been pissed if I got the SG3 and found out foxfi didn't work. Guess I'll probably go ahead and get the Note 2 and use their official tethering app with no unlimited data.

I signed a new contract last Sarurday switching from an iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and didn't lose my unlimited data. I made sure of that

Ds Note 2 Sprint

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not mine I'm now with tmobile back on 4g unlimited talk text and data (no throttling) no drop in service at all. It would if I had gone prepaid.

Ds Note 2 * Sprint user on jellybean version 4.1.1 *

itsallbs

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Don't really know if this is helpful, but, I am using Foxfi on my Stock Galaxy S Blaze SGH-T769 (android 2.3.6 Gingerbread), and wifi tethering to my rooted Nexus 7 Tablet (android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean). It works like a charm. I've been looking for a wifi tethering solution for my Nexus 7 since August, and finally got it working.

fromjusttheking

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to this forum. Just got 2 AT&T SGH-i317 Note 2's (for me & my wife), both with Jelly Bean 4.1.1, and after trying what we once used (Android WiFi Tether on our old AT&T Infuse's, which worked great), it no longer seems to work. One Infuse was rooted (Froyo) and one was not (Gingerbread). Tried several other tethering programs with no luck on our Notes. Then I downloaded FoxFi 1.95.4 from FoxFi's website (Not available for AT&T in the Google Play store), and the AddOn 3011 from the Play Store. Loaded them, and wallah! They worked. Jelly Bean didn't stop FoxFi from working. But it definitely needs the AddOn program to do this. Ran it to see just how long it would run, and it was just short of 30 minutes. Got a message that said that it ran its limit for the free version and asked to upgrade to the pay version, which was expected. Will probably do that after a little more running it just to make certain that it will continue to work ok on the AT&T Note 2. Did try the Bluetooth access on it with no certain success. Need a little more time to work on it. Just wanted to share my experience with the group. Hope this helps.

One question I do have. Does anyone know if the AddOn "hides" the tethering activity? Just curious.

Hope that this info helps some others. The reference to the AddOn is what triggered me to look deeper into it and try it. I'm glad that I did.

Glitch01

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 At&t. Unlimited data.
Was using paid for Fox fi without addon. At&t sent a letter saying stop or pay the tether fee. I have since added the addon and set the proxy but the wifi portion connects but doesn't work. I am connected via bt without any issues.

Glitch01

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Still can't get the wifi to work after an uninstall re-install, but the bt tether works. Not sure if the proxy transitions to bt though. The wifi specifically states proxy enabled.

Glitch01

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
BT will not use proxy, and the proxy config for the browser does not work with fox fi, meaning if you don't have your browser configure to work with fox fi through the wifi proxy you will get caught.

Ds Note 2 Sprint

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have tmobile s blaze 2.3 version & have been blocked by tmoblie from using foxfi however the bluetooth appears to work only to search net or YouTube but doesn't download from either. Anyone have a work around this? Thx plan to purchase my note 2 by Christmas-Birthday

***Dee's Note 2 Sprint version 4.1.1 rooted***

Remo Rackman

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if the foxfi app is/will be working on the Note 2? I heard foxfi was not compatible with jellybean os, is this still true?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

I just installed it and tested from my laptop and confirm it works on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2.
You do have to get the app from "http://foxfi.com/bin" because it is blocked to AT&T users on the Play Store (Sprint Users too).

The free version will make you turn off your hotspot every 10 to 30 minutes and then re-enable it to keep going. The 6.95 unlock key (which IS available through the Play Store) is worth it.

Glitch01

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It works with At&t without the proxy, but you're going to get busted by AT&T doing that. Without being NAT'd or a proxy, the service provider can see all DNS queries from which ever device is attached. They can see your device as soon as it connects on their network.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It works with At&t without the proxy, but you're going to get busted by AT&T doing that. Without being NAT'd or a proxy, the service provider can see all DNS queries from which ever device is attached. They can see your device as soon as it connects on their network.

I wonder if it matters if you are connecting a tablet to your phone or a pc to your phone? If they see a PC as the device, they would know you are tethering. But what if it is an iPad? Would they still register you as tethering because the device is not a Note II? Now what if you have 2 Note II and only 1 has unlimited data. Could you tether one Note II to another without using the proxy? :p

Glitch01

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
All network devices have their own unique hardware network identifier. AT&T chargers additional $$ for each device tethered to your device, so yes, regardless of it being a tablet or another phone, they can tell if it is querying their data network. Now in your case where you have two Note 2's with two data plans, I'm not sure how they would treat that. If they are monitoring via the IEMI number then the data downloaded may just be applied to the original device, but don't quote me on that. This is just my own thought process. I have no idea how they would treat two devices on their network tethering to another.

If you have a host proxy configured, the host proxy handles all queries for all devices pointing to it.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have a host proxy configured, the host proxy handles all queries for all devices pointing to it.

I got the proxy addon but it seems to be only for web browser? My son doesn't use web browser on his iPad, only games and netflix. Most of the games require internet access to connect to the game hosts.

Karinna Dazza

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Good morning all...
i was using foxfi perfectly on tmobile with sgs2 and for xmas i got the sgnote2 and nothing i cannot conntect my ipad to it at all....HELP! anyone tethering on tmobile these days?
i spoke emailed foxfi and they advised that when tmobile blocks you, you should turn on flight mode and then off again. it does seem to clear the block, however my ipad does not see my network...anyone? any suggestions?
thank you