Gonna close my eyes and jump....

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure I am going to take the leap of faith and root/rom my note 2. The benefits seem obvious, but I need a contingency plan. It seems as though cleanROM might be the most attractive option for me. I would like to lose all the att branded crap on my phone, but possibly keep all the Samsung stuff. It would suck having the s-pen and no software to support it right?
My main concern is that if I don't care for it and decide to go back, what will happen. I jail broke a few iPhones in my day but only to find out they became less responsive which irked me. Reseting back to factory defaults never took the sluggishness away.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure I am going to take the leap of faith and root/rom my note 2. The benefits seem obvious, but I need a contingency plan. It seems as though cleanROM might be the most attractive option for me. I would like to lose all the att branded crap on my phone, but possibly keep all the Samsung stuff. It would suck having the s-pen and no software to support it right?
My main concern is that if I don't care for it and decide to go back, what will happen. I jail broke a few iPhones in my day but only to find out they became less responsive which irked me. Reseting back to factory defaults never took the sluggishness away.
After you root (i suggest TWRP kit)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s/247891-t-guide-how-root-unroot-t-note2.html

Make a Nandroid backup of your stock rom, explanation of what it is and instruction on how to do it are here
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...recoveries-flash-roms-mods-let-fun-begin.html

then after flashing cleanrom , if you decide you dont like it restore the Nandroid backup you made (instructions on that in thread above aswell) and you will be back exactly where you are now.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You can also root and delete bloatware using titanium backup and stay stock if you want. You can also just back up the apps, uninstall and then put them back if you ever needed them TB will keep a backup on your SD card.

webb3201

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It really is a trivial task at this point. It will take you about 5 minutes tops and is well worth the time. I highly recommend Scott's Clean Rom as a great option.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
1+ for cleanrom and twrp!

Great of luck in your root! Just remember to back up, clear cache and davlik before rebooting! But always, always do the three above things!

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It really is a trivial task at this point. It will take you about 5 minutes tops and is well worth the time. I highly recommend Scott's Clean Rom as a great option.

Plus his rom incorporates the Aroma Installer which further allows you to customize it prior to installation. He has quite a few optional AT&T/ Samsung apps to choose from.

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to read up on the whole process, and I played with Nova over the weekend just to get a taste for the customization process. What is davlik?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Davlik is a form of (and let me get this right so I don't get wrist slapped again by my knowledge source) in app memory. It allows the application to run faster while your using it. Cache is the same except it is used when you set up the app, change the app, etc.

I confuse the two, but please check me in the "about rooting" section for clarification. Lol, I'm old and the Grey matter mixes things up sometimes.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This is going to come off as a naive paranoid question I am sure, but I will ask anyway. Rooting is basically hacking (overwriting samsung files and changing the way the stock recovery was installed) and installing a new rom is a user created OS, how would you explain to a noob the security gains or losses due to malware/keyloggers/etc that could be potentially be there? Some of us like doing things like paying bills online and other financial transactions.